    <http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20071017-asus-officially-launches-299-eee-laptop-xp-to-come-later.html>.

    The Linux system boots up in 10 seconds and shuts down in 5
    <http://www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=3829>.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Oct 18, 2007

  2. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Geoff Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

    > The Linux system boots up in 10 seconds and shuts down in 5

    Oooh that must give you a real stiffy.

    geoff

    Geoff, Oct 18, 2007

  3. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    XPD Guest

    > Shipping now with Xandros Linux, Dimdows XP coming later, Vista--not a
    > hope
    > <http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20071017-asus-officially-launches-299-eee-laptop-xp-to-come-later.html>.
    >
    > The Linux system boots up in 10 seconds and shuts down in 5
    > <http://www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=3829>.

    Can you see them arriving here in NZ for anything near $333 (or whatever it
    comes to with todays exchange rate) ?
    I cant. Probably end up being $600.......for another $200 Id rather get a
    compaq/acer with better specs.

    Be interesting to see tho....if they do end up here for around $400, then I
    may be tempted.

    XPD, Oct 18, 2007
  4. In message <ff6jt5$rsk$>, XPD wrote:

    >> <http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20071017-asus-officially-launches-299-eee-laptop-xp-to-come-later.html>.

    > Can you see them arriving here in NZ for anything near $333 (or whatever
    > it comes to with todays exchange rate) ?

    Why not. I'm sure a containerload of them could turn up as a Warehouse
    parallel import. :)

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Oct 18, 2007
  5. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Cima Guest

    On Thu, 18 Oct 2007 14:24:05 +1200, "Geoff" <> wrote:

    >Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >

    >> The Linux system boots up in 10 seconds and shuts down in 5

    >Oooh that must give you a real stiffy.

    What do you think he typed the message with?

    Cima, Oct 18, 2007
  6. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    E. Scrooge Guest

    > Shipping now with Xandros Linux, Dimdows XP coming later, Vista--not a
    > hope
    > <http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20071017-asus-officially-launches-299-eee-laptop-xp-to-come-later.html>.
    >
    > The Linux system boots up in 10 seconds and shuts down in 5
    > <http://www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=3829>.

    Doen't leave much time to do much on it if it shuts down 5 seconds after
    starting.
    LOL

    Anyway it hardly matters since **** all PC software will run on it, mainly
    only Linux software instead.

    E. Scrooge

    E. Scrooge, Oct 18, 2007
  7. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    E. Scrooge Guest

    > In message <ff6jt5$rsk$>, XPD wrote:

    >>> <http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20071017-asus-officially-launches-299-eee-laptop-xp-to-come-later.html>.

    >> Can you see them arriving here in NZ for anything near $333 (or whatever
    >> it comes to with todays exchange rate) ?

    > Why not. I'm sure a containerload of them could turn up as a Warehouse
    > parallel import. :)

    You don't think ASUS agents Dick Smiths will be able to shift the lemons
    running Linux then.

    You fail to mention that ASUS have stopped supplying new computers with
    Windows installed. Could it be that ASUS wouldn't survive if it dumped
    Windows completely in favour of Linux that has bugger all support from main
    software and hardware companies?

    E. Scrooge

    E. Scrooge, Oct 18, 2007
  8. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    XPD Guest

    > Anyway it hardly matters since **** all PC software will run on it, mainly
    > only Linux software instead.

    I take it youre not a linux user then ? :)

    For the power of the unit, would you really want to run Windows applications
    on it anyway ? Its being aimed at more the student type to do basic work on
    such as productivity stuff rather than games/video/CAD etc.
    I'd get one at the right price (as per my other post), mainly because Im a
    tech on the road all the time and having a cheap laptop with me would make
    things easier for troubleshooting and not kicking clients off their systems
    all the time - plug my own in....... also having someone break into the car
    and pinching a $3-400 laptop vs a $1000 one ? I know what Id rather risk -
    in saying that, I usually dont tend to leave laptops in cars :)

    XPD, Oct 18, 2007
  9. In message <1192685075.149667@ftpsrv1>, *sling wrote:

    > You fail to mention that ASUS have stopped supplying new computers with
    > Windows installed.

    Have they really??

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Oct 18, 2007
  10. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    sam Guest

    E. Scrooge wrote:
    >> Shipping now with Xandros Linux, Dimdows XP coming later, Vista--not a
    >> hope
    >> <http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20071017-asus-officially-launches-299-eee-laptop-xp-to-come-later.html>.
    >>
    >> The Linux system boots up in 10 seconds and shuts down in 5
    >> <http://www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=3829>.

    > Doen't leave much time to do much on it if it shuts down 5 seconds after
    > starting.
    > LOL
    >
    > Anyway it hardly matters since **** all PC software will run on it, mainly
    > only Linux software instead.

    FTA

    You can browse the web using FireFox, use Skype with the built-in web
    cam and microphone, open Word and Excel docs and edit them, view photos,
    listen to music files, use AOL IM, MSN messenger or just about any other
    major chat client via Kopete. In other words, all the basic functions
    you perform on a PC you can do on the Eee PC.

    Sounds pretty useful for someting the size of a paperback.

    sam, Oct 18, 2007
  11. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    impossible Guest

    "sam" <> wrote in message news:47171078$...
    > E. Scrooge wrote:
    >>> Shipping now with Xandros Linux, Dimdows XP coming later, Vista--not a
    >>> hope
    >>> <http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20071017-asus-officially-launches-299-eee-laptop-xp-to-come-later.html>.
    >>>
    >>> The Linux system boots up in 10 seconds and shuts down in 5
    >>> <http://www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=3829>.

    >> Doen't leave much time to do much on it if it shuts down 5 seconds after
    >> starting.
    >> LOL
    >>
    >> Anyway it hardly matters since **** all PC software will run on it,
    >> mainly only Linux software instead.
    >>

    > FTA
    >
    > You can browse the web using FireFox, use Skype with the built-in web cam
    > and microphone, open Word and Excel docs and edit them, view photos,
    > listen to music files, use AOL IM, MSN messenger or just about any other
    > major chat client via Kopete. In other words, all the basic functions you
    > perform on a PC you can do on the Eee PC.
    >
    > Sounds pretty useful for someting the size of a paperback.

    If you go to the Asus site (http://eeepc.asus.com/en/product.htm) you'll see
    that Eee's are being primarily pitched as a device for under-15 crowd who
    want to access the web, watch videos, listen to music, chat, etc. I'm sure
    there's a healthy market for this indulgence in the wealthier countres,
    though iPods and iPhones probably have a bigger "cool" factor right now. But
    no one who regularly needs to do serious work with documents is going to go
    this route. The tiny keyboard and screen would be maddening, as would the
    memory limitations. And those who only need to look at email attachments are
    more likely to spend the equivalent money to get a smartphone.

    impossible, Oct 18, 2007
  12. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Lodi Guest

    >> Anyway it hardly matters since **** all PC software will run on it,
    >> mainly only Linux software instead.

    Wikipedia says (so it must be true)....

    <snip>
    In an effort to cut costs Asus does not include Windows XP. [However] it
    was announced on October 16, 2007, that a version of the Eee will be sold
    with Windows XP
    </snip>

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ASUS_Eee_PC

    Be curious to see what the price difference is between MS and non-MS
    units.

    Lodi

    Lodi, Oct 18, 2007
  13. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    sam Guest

    impossible wrote:
    > "sam" <> wrote in message news:47171078$...
    >> E. Scrooge wrote:
    >>> "Lawrence D'Oliveiro" <_zealand> wrote in message

    >>> Doen't leave much time to do much on it if it shuts down 5 seconds after
    >>> starting.
    >>> LOL
    >>>
    >>> Anyway it hardly matters since **** all PC software will run on it,
    >>> mainly only Linux software instead.
    >>>

    >> FTA
    >>
    >> You can browse the web using FireFox, use Skype with the built-in web cam
    >> and microphone, open Word and Excel docs and edit them, view photos,
    >> listen to music files, use AOL IM, MSN messenger or just about any other
    >> major chat client via Kopete. In other words, all the basic functions you
    >> perform on a PC you can do on the Eee PC.
    >>
    >> Sounds pretty useful for someting the size of a paperback.

    > If you go to the Asus site (http://eeepc.asus.com/en/product.htm) you'll see
    > that Eee's are being primarily pitched as a device for under-15 crowd who
    > want to access the web, watch videos, listen to music, chat, etc. I'm sure
    > there's a healthy market for this indulgence in the wealthier countres,
    > though iPods and iPhones probably have a bigger "cool" factor right now. But
    > no one who regularly needs to do serious work with documents is going to go
    > this route. The tiny keyboard and screen would be maddening, as would the
    > memory limitations. And those who only need to look at email attachments are
    > more likely to spend the equivalent money to get a smartphone.

    Maybe
    I use a PDA all the time for large checklists, quotes, viewing pdfs of
    equipment manuals, and even plans. And its a pretty long time since I
    was 15. I even read full size ebooks on a Palm TX, I don't see a device
    with an A6 sized screen as being maddening.
    Its quite cumbersome to get out a laptop in the car or on a work site,
    and I can see the appeal as a documentation store especially with the
    instant on factor and I think a purse sized PC would have a lot of of
    appeal for the ladeez.
    It isn't intended to replace laptops, just occupy a niche where laptops
    have disadvantages. All the basic functions in paperback form factor.

    sam, Oct 18, 2007
  14. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    impossible Guest

    "sam" <> wrote in message news:4717cf63$...
    > impossible wrote:
    >> "sam" <> wrote in message

    >>> FTA
    >>>
    >>> You can browse the web using FireFox, use Skype with the built-in web
    >>> cam and microphone, open Word and Excel docs and edit them, view photos,
    >>> listen to music files, use AOL IM, MSN messenger or just about any other
    >>> major chat client via Kopete. In other words, all the basic functions
    >>> you perform on a PC you can do on the Eee PC.
    >>>
    >>> Sounds pretty useful for someting the size of a paperback.

    >> If you go to the Asus site (http://eeepc.asus.com/en/product.htm) you'll
    >> see that Eee's are being primarily pitched as a device for under-15 crowd
    >> who want to access the web, watch videos, listen to music, chat, etc. I'm
    >> sure there's a healthy market for this indulgence in the wealthier
    >> countres, though iPods and iPhones probably have a bigger "cool" factor
    >> right now. But no one who regularly needs to do serious work with
    >> documents is going to go this route. The tiny keyboard and screen would
    >> be maddening, as would the memory limitations. And those who only need to
    >> look at email attachments are more likely to spend the equivalent money
    >> to get a smartphone.

    > Maybe
    > I use a PDA all the time for large checklists, quotes, viewing pdfs of
    > equipment manuals, and even plans. And its a pretty long time since I was
    > 15. I even read full size ebooks on a Palm TX, I don't see a device with
    > an A6 sized screen as being maddening.

    As I said, reading is fine on any of those devices. But trying to do serious
    editing is crazy. To their credit, I don't see Asus making any claims for
    functionality along those lines.

    > Its quite cumbersome to get out a laptop in the car or on a work site, and
    > I can see the appeal as a documentation store especially with the instant
    > on factor and I think a purse sized PC would have a lot of of appeal for
    > the ladeez.

    A decent smart phone would make a much better document store. Anything else
    work-related really requires a notebook. You can find excellent notebooks
    now in the 1.5-2 kg range now, and those are not cumbersome at all.

    > It isn't intended to replace laptops, just occupy a niche where laptops
    > have disadvantages. All the basic functions in paperback form factor.

    The "niche" seperating handheld devices from notebooks is just a marketing
    illusiuon. Users of notebooks always want improvements in portability and
    users of handheld devices always want more power, but no one ever wants a
    compromised in-betweener. Handlelds **are** the niche, because they can be
    customized to fill many specific needs -- pda, phone, scanner, etc. But once
    you have a machine (like Eee) that you can't operate from the palm of your
    hand, it's just some another model of notebook, in this case a cheap
    notebook with limited functionality.

    impossible, Oct 18, 2007
  15. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    thingy Guest

    E. Scrooge wrote:
    >> In message <ff6jt5$rsk$>, XPD wrote:
    >>
    >>> "Lawrence D'Oliveiro" <_zealand> wrote in message

    >>> Can you see them arriving here in NZ for anything near $333 (or whatever
    >>> it comes to with todays exchange rate) ?

    >> Why not. I'm sure a containerload of them could turn up as a Warehouse
    >> parallel import. :)

    > You don't think ASUS agents Dick Smiths will be able to shift the lemons
    > running Linux then.

    Are they lemons because they are running Vista or because they are Asus?
    personally I find Asus kit very good. So its more likely the fault to be
    with DSE.

    > You fail to mention that ASUS have stopped supplying new computers with
    > Windows installed.

    About time....I might buy one then.

    ;]

    Could it be that ASUS wouldn't survive if it dumped
    > Windows completely in favour of Linux that has bugger all support from main
    > software and hardware companies?
    >
    > E. Scrooge

    Asus is the hardware vendor.

    Depends on your definition of "main". oOo is apparently doing very well
    as a low/no cost addon by white boxers where home customers dont want to
    pay the $500 odd for MS office...so the diffeence between running oOo on
    linux or Vista/XP is? not a lot.

    Hardware support from vendors for Linux is in my experience little
    different from that of Windows....sometimes good, sometimes
    non-existent........

    Then consider that for an appliance the embedded OS is even less of an
    interest for the end user than a full PC.

    regards

    Thing

    thingy, Oct 19, 2007
  16. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    E. Scrooge Guest

    "thingy" <> wrote in message
    > E. Scrooge wrote:

    >>> Why not. I'm sure a containerload of them could turn up as a Warehouse
    >>> parallel import. :)

    >> You don't think ASUS agents Dick Smiths will be able to shift the lemons
    >> running Linux then.

    > Are they lemons because they are running Vista or because they are Asus?
    > personally I find Asus kit very good. So its more likely the fault to be
    > with DSE.
    >
    >> You fail to mention that ASUS have stopped supplying new computers with
    >> Windows installed.

    > About time....I might buy one then.
    >
    > ;]
    >
    > Could it be that ASUS wouldn't survive if it dumped
    >> Windows completely in favour of Linux that has bugger all support from
    >> main software and hardware companies?
    >>
    >> E. Scrooge

    > Asus is the hardware vendor.
    >
    > Depends on your definition of "main". oOo is apparently doing very well as
    > a low/no cost addon by white boxers where home customers dont want to pay
    > the $500 odd for MS office...so the diffeence between running oOo on linux
    > or Vista/XP is? not a lot.
    >
    > Hardware support from vendors for Linux is in my experience little
    > different from that of Windows....sometimes good, sometimes
    > non-existent........
    >
    > Then consider that for an appliance the embedded OS is even less of an
    > interest for the end user than a full PC.
    >
    > regards
    >
    > Thing

    Got to say that Vista (Basic at least) is a big step backwards compared to
    XP. The more I use an ASUS laptop with 512MB RAM running Vista Basic while
    helping a friend new to computing with it, Vista looks less than impressive
    each time.
    And that's only over the simplest of tasks. It was decided an email with 5
    pictures attached to have the pictures saved into the My Pictures folder on
    the hard drive. It was that slow I thought it might've crashed, the little
    busy circle instead of the old hour glass was busy for well over a minute.
    XP would've saved the pictures in no more than 10 seconds. Shutting the
    laptop down took over 3 minutes with the screen doing a few flashes before
    getting stuck on the logging off sutting down screens for a while.

    Vista has been good news for Linux with computers being offered with Linux
    more these days that there was when XP was on new computers.
    Windows 7 will have to have big improvements.

    E. Scrooge

    E. Scrooge, Oct 20, 2007
  17. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    E. Scrooge Guest

    "sam" <> wrote in message news:47171078$...
    > E. Scrooge wrote:
    >>> Shipping now with Xandros Linux, Dimdows XP coming later, Vista--not a
    >>> hope
    >>> <http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20071017-asus-officially-launches-299-eee-laptop-xp-to-come-later.html>.
    >>>
    >>> The Linux system boots up in 10 seconds and shuts down in 5
    >>> <http://www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=3829>.

    >> Doen't leave much time to do much on it if it shuts down 5 seconds after
    >> starting.
    >> LOL
    >>
    >> Anyway it hardly matters since **** all PC software will run on it,
    >> mainly only Linux software instead.
    >>

    > FTA
    >
    > You can browse the web using FireFox, use Skype with the built-in web cam
    > and microphone, open Word and Excel docs and edit them, view photos,
    > listen to music files, use AOL IM, MSN messenger or just about any other
    > major chat client via Kopete. In other words, all the basic functions you
    > perform on a PC you can do on the Eee PC.
    >
    > Sounds pretty useful for someting the size of a paperback.

    Just can't run the PC software that comes as standard with a lot of PC
    hardware which is the main bug with being stuck with Linux.

    E. Scrooge

    E. Scrooge, Oct 20, 2007
  18. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    sam Guest

    E. Scrooge wrote:
    > "sam" <> wrote in message news:47171078$...
    >> E. Scrooge wrote:
    >>> "Lawrence D'Oliveiro" <_zealand> wrote in message

    >>> Doen't leave much time to do much on it if it shuts down 5 seconds after
    >>> starting.
    >>> LOL
    >>>
    >>> Anyway it hardly matters since **** all PC software will run on it,
    >>> mainly only Linux software instead.
    >>>

    >> FTA
    >>
    >> You can browse the web using FireFox, use Skype with the built-in web cam
    >> and microphone, open Word and Excel docs and edit them, view photos,
    >> listen to music files, use AOL IM, MSN messenger or just about any other
    >> major chat client via Kopete. In other words, all the basic functions you
    >> perform on a PC you can do on the Eee PC.
    >>
    >> Sounds pretty useful for someting the size of a paperback.

    > Just can't run the PC software that comes as standard with a lot of PC
    > hardware which is the main bug with being stuck with Linux.
    >
    > E. Scrooge

    Its not a bug if the software that it is running does all the functions
    that you want, and flash memory and low power consumption are an advantage.
    Its not like it stops you from communicating with Windows PCs or using
    Windows PCs.
    Macs don't run Windows software either, but they seem to provide their
    users with great functionality.

    sam, Oct 20, 2007
  19. In message <1192836611.931191@ftpsrv1>, *sling wrote:

    > "sam" <> wrote in message
    >
    >> Sounds pretty useful for someting the size of a paperback.

    > Just can't run the PC software that comes as standard with a lot of PC
    > hardware ...

    But not this hardware.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Oct 20, 2007
  20. In message <1192836420.264080@ftpsrv1>, *sling wrote:

    > Windows 7 will have to have big improvements.

    Looks like they're off on the wrong foot
    <http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2007/10/19/smaller-footprint-windows>.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Oct 20, 2007