    (I'm pretty sure).

    Thanks for any help and suggestions.

    E. Scrooge
    E. Scrooge, Oct 9, 2007

  2. E. Scrooge

    John Guest

    news:1191916090.667826@ftpsrv1...
    > This is a new laptop from Dick Smith that a friend has bought recently.
    > It has 512MB RAM. Slow to start and shutdown thanks to Norton. Windows
    > pop up checking that Adminstrator is installing programs and even when
    > deleting crap from the Recyle Bin.
    >
    > Getting rid of Norton from HP desktops running XP was easy enough with
    > some patience. Can the same be said when dealing with Vista though?
    >
    > Also anti virus software on it is AVG (free version) put on by Dick Smith
    > (I'm pretty sure).
    >
    > Thanks for any help and suggestions.
    >
    > E. Scrooge

    Does it just come with restore disks, or does it come with the full OEM
    operating system? If it is the full OEM operating system, if you reset it
    up, it then shouldn't have all the bundled bloatware on it. Even with the
    restore disks I don't think it should reinstall the nortons software, as
    normally they will give you a seperate nortons disk with teh computer.
    John, Oct 9, 2007

  3. E. Scrooge

    E. Scrooge Guest

    "John" <> wrote in message

    > "E. Scrooge" <scrooge@*shot.co.nz (*sling)> wrote in message
    >> This is a new laptop from Dick Smith that a friend has bought recently.
    >> It has 512MB RAM. Slow to start and shutdown thanks to Norton. Windows
    >> pop up checking that Adminstrator is installing programs and even when
    >> deleting crap from the Recyle Bin.
    >>
    >> Getting rid of Norton from HP desktops running XP was easy enough with
    >> some patience. Can the same be said when dealing with Vista though?
    >>
    >> Also anti virus software on it is AVG (free version) put on by Dick Smith
    >> (I'm pretty sure).
    >>
    >> Thanks for any help and suggestions.
    >>
    >> E. Scrooge
    >>

    > Does it just come with restore disks, or does it come with the full OEM
    > operating system? If it is the full OEM operating system, if you reset it
    > up, it then shouldn't have all the bundled bloatware on it. Even with the
    > restore disks I don't think it should reinstall the nortons software, as
    > normally they will give you a seperate nortons disk with teh computer.

    Thanks, but I wouldn't want to take the risk of reinstalling Vista on
    someone's new computer. One small error could **** the whole thing from
    working again.

    I'll try the usual removal from the Control Panel as long as the owner is
    willing. She doesn't want to be stuck with the trial version of Norton.

    E. Scrooge
    E. Scrooge, Oct 9, 2007
  4. E. Scrooge

    Greg House Guest

    On Tue, 9 Oct 2007 20:54:13 +1300, "E. Scrooge" <scrooge@*shot.co.nz (*sling)> wrote:

    >This is a new laptop from Dick Smith that a friend has bought recently. It
    >has 512MB RAM. Slow to start and shutdown thanks to Norton. Windows pop up
    >checking that Adminstrator is installing programs and even when deleting
    >crap from the Recyle Bin.
    >
    >Getting rid of Norton from HP desktops running XP was easy enough with some
    >patience. Can the same be said when dealing with Vista though?
    >
    >Also anti virus software on it is AVG (free version) put on by Dick Smith
    >(I'm pretty sure).
    >
    >Thanks for any help and suggestions.
    >
    >E. Scrooge

    I think that Norton's provide tools to remove all the crap, I have seen many referrals or even sites
    that have this software..

    Its not that easy to remove totally with out these tools..

    Found the Links

    ftp://ftp.symantec.com/public/english_us_canada/removal_tools/Norton_Removal_Tool_9x.exe

    Vista

    ftp://ftp.symantec.com/public/english_us_canada/removal_tools/Norton_Removal_Tool.exe

    Norton Removal Tool is a program that can remove some Norton software from your computer. Norton
    Removal Tool runs on Windows 2000/XP/Vista. Norton Removal Tool should be used only if you have
    tried to uninstall the Norton program using Windows Add/Remove Programs and that did not work.
    Greg House, Oct 9, 2007
  5. E. Scrooge

    Jonno Guest

    > This is a new laptop from Dick Smith that a friend has bought recently.
    > It has 512MB RAM. Slow to start and shutdown thanks to Norton. Windows
    > pop up checking that Adminstrator is installing programs and even when
    > deleting crap from the Recyle Bin.
    >
    > Getting rid of Norton from HP desktops running XP was easy enough with
    > some patience. Can the same be said when dealing with Vista though?
    >
    > Also anti virus software on it is AVG (free version) put on by Dick Smith
    > (I'm pretty sure).
    >
    > Thanks for any help and suggestions.
    >
    > E. Scrooge

    Try this Scroogie, removing Norton stuff through Control Panel often leaves
    crap behind This tool supposedly removes it all.

    http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2005033108162039
    Jonno, Oct 9, 2007
  6. E. Scrooge

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <1191916090.667826@ftpsrv1>, scrooge@*shot.co.nz says...
    > This is a new laptop from Dick Smith that a friend has bought recently. It
    > has 512MB RAM. Slow to start and shutdown thanks to Norton. Windows pop up
    > checking that Adminstrator is installing programs and even when deleting
    > crap from the Recyle Bin.
    >
    > Getting rid of Norton from HP desktops running XP was easy enough with some
    > patience. Can the same be said when dealing with Vista though?

    You'll need less patience, it's easier than XP (most things in Vista
    are).

    > Also anti virus software on it is AVG (free version) put on by Dick Smith
    > (I'm pretty sure).

    Huh? - is it Nortons or AVG - surely not both. (And they wouldn't put
    AVG free on it surely).

    --
    Duncan
    Dave Doe, Oct 9, 2007
  7. E. Scrooge

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <1191918563.571135@ftpsrv1>, scrooge@*shot.co.nz says...

    > "John" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "E. Scrooge" <scrooge@*shot.co.nz (*sling)> wrote in message
    > >> This is a new laptop from Dick Smith that a friend has bought recently.
    > >> It has 512MB RAM. Slow to start and shutdown thanks to Norton. Windows
    > >> pop up checking that Adminstrator is installing programs and even when
    > >> deleting crap from the Recyle Bin.
    > >>
    > >> Getting rid of Norton from HP desktops running XP was easy enough with
    > >> some patience. Can the same be said when dealing with Vista though?
    > >>
    > >> Also anti virus software on it is AVG (free version) put on by Dick Smith
    > >> (I'm pretty sure).
    > >>
    > >> Thanks for any help and suggestions.
    > >>
    > >> E. Scrooge
    > >>

    > > Does it just come with restore disks, or does it come with the full OEM
    > > operating system? If it is the full OEM operating system, if you reset it
    > > up, it then shouldn't have all the bundled bloatware on it. Even with the
    > > restore disks I don't think it should reinstall the nortons software, as
    > > normally they will give you a seperate nortons disk with teh computer.

    > Thanks, but I wouldn't want to take the risk of reinstalling Vista on
    > someone's new computer. One small error could **** the whole thing from
    > working again.

    Naaa - restore disks for all Asus notebooks w' Vista I've used have been
    a piece of cake. If you can have it connected to the net while you do
    the install it's even better.

    > I'll try the usual removal from the Control Panel as long as the owner is
    > willing. She doesn't want to be stuck with the trial version of Norton.

    Yep, do it.

    --
    Duncan
    Dave Doe, Oct 9, 2007
  8. E. Scrooge

    E. Scrooge Guest

    "Jonno" <> wrote in message

    > "E. Scrooge" <scrooge@*shot.co.nz (*sling)> wrote in message
    >> This is a new laptop from Dick Smith that a friend has bought recently.
    >> It has 512MB RAM. Slow to start and shutdown thanks to Norton. Windows
    >> pop up checking that Adminstrator is installing programs and even when
    >> deleting crap from the Recyle Bin.
    >>
    >> Getting rid of Norton from HP desktops running XP was easy enough with
    >> some patience. Can the same be said when dealing with Vista though?
    >>
    >> Also anti virus software on it is AVG (free version) put on by Dick Smith
    >> (I'm pretty sure).
    >>
    >> Thanks for any help and suggestions.
    >>
    >> E. Scrooge
    >>

    > Try this Scroogie, removing Norton stuff through Control Panel often
    > leaves crap behind This tool supposedly removes it all.
    >
    > http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2005033108162039

    Thanks, I found the previous page to that one that runs through using the
    Windows uninstall - printed it out. There's a "What if this didn't work?"
    near the bottom of the page that then links to the page you've provided
    about trying the removal tool depending on which Norton product.

    http://service1.symantec.com/Suppor...005092709200113&nsf=sharedtech.nsf&view=docid

    E. Scrooge
    E. Scrooge, Oct 9, 2007
  9. E. Scrooge

    E. Scrooge Guest

    "Greg House" <> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 9 Oct 2007 20:54:13 +1300, "E. Scrooge" <scrooge@*shot.co.nz
    > (*sling)> wrote:
    >
    >>This is a new laptop from Dick Smith that a friend has bought recently.
    >>It
    >>has 512MB RAM. Slow to start and shutdown thanks to Norton. Windows pop
    >>up
    >>checking that Adminstrator is installing programs and even when deleting
    >>crap from the Recyle Bin.
    >>
    >>Getting rid of Norton from HP desktops running XP was easy enough with
    >>some
    >>patience. Can the same be said when dealing with Vista though?
    >>
    >>Also anti virus software on it is AVG (free version) put on by Dick Smith
    >>(I'm pretty sure).
    >>
    >>Thanks for any help and suggestions.
    >>
    >>E. Scrooge
    >>

    > I think that Norton's provide tools to remove all the crap, I have seen
    > many referrals or even sites
    > that have this software..
    >
    > Its not that easy to remove totally with out these tools..
    >
    > Found the Links
    >

    > ftp://ftp.symantec.com/public/english_us_canada/removal_tools/Norton_Removal_Tool_9x.exe
    >

    > Vista
    >

    > ftp://ftp.symantec.com/public/english_us_canada/removal_tools/Norton_Removal_Tool.exe
    >

    > Norton Removal Tool is a program that can remove some Norton software from
    > your computer. Norton
    > Removal Tool runs on Windows 2000/XP/Vista. Norton Removal Tool should be
    > used only if you have
    > tried to uninstall the Norton program using Windows Add/Remove Programs
    > and that did not work.

    Thanks, Roger.
    Looks like the Vista link will be worth a try if Windows remove can't
    uninstall it properly.

    E. Scrooge
    E. Scrooge, Oct 9, 2007
  10. E. Scrooge

    E. Scrooge Guest

    "Dave Doe" <> wrote in message
    > In article <1191916090.667826@ftpsrv1>, scrooge@*shot.co.nz says...
    >> This is a new laptop from Dick Smith that a friend has bought recently.
    >> It
    >> has 512MB RAM. Slow to start and shutdown thanks to Norton. Windows pop
    >> up
    >> checking that Adminstrator is installing programs and even when deleting
    >> crap from the Recyle Bin.
    >>
    >> Getting rid of Norton from HP desktops running XP was easy enough with
    >> some
    >> patience. Can the same be said when dealing with Vista though?

    > You'll need less patience, it's easier than XP (most things in Vista
    > are).
    >

    >> Also anti virus software on it is AVG (free version) put on by Dick Smith
    >> (I'm pretty sure).

    > Huh? - is it Nortons or AVG - surely not both. (And they wouldn't put
    > AVG free on it surely).
    >

    > --
    > Duncan

    The Norton security bugger seems to be a firewall security centre that takes
    over from the Windows one. Slowing the computer down as it scans the same
    startup programs each time Vista starts up.
    Install date for AVG (free) is the 3rd of this month. I'm sure she
    mentioned the guy at Dick Smith put it on for her. Each time Vista starts
    there's the first setup screen popping up after a while for the setup of the
    trial version of Norton. She's been closing it each time Vista starts up.
    Norton uses a yellow shield similar looking to the Microsoft red shield.
    I'm sure the Microsoft shield settings had to be checked after dumping
    Norton from the XP computers.
    I remember on XP in add/remove there was more than one Norton product to get
    rid of.

    Thanks, Duncan.

    E. Scrooge
    E. Scrooge, Oct 9, 2007
  11. E. Scrooge

    E. Scrooge Guest

    "Dave Doe" <> wrote in message
    > In article <1191918563.571135@ftpsrv1>, scrooge@*shot.co.nz says...
    >>
    >> "John" <> wrote in message
    >> >
    >> > "E. Scrooge" <scrooge@*shot.co.nz (*sling)> wrote in message

    >> > Does it just come with restore disks, or does it come with the full OEM
    >> > operating system? If it is the full OEM operating system, if you reset
    >> > it
    >> > up, it then shouldn't have all the bundled bloatware on it. Even with
    >> > the
    >> > restore disks I don't think it should reinstall the nortons software,
    >> > as
    >> > normally they will give you a seperate nortons disk with teh computer.

    >> Thanks, but I wouldn't want to take the risk of reinstalling Vista on
    >> someone's new computer. One small error could **** the whole thing from
    >> working again.

    > Naaa - restore disks for all Asus notebooks w' Vista I've used have been
    > a piece of cake. If you can have it connected to the net while you do
    > the install it's even better.
    >

    >> I'll try the usual removal from the Control Panel as long as the owner is
    >> willing. She doesn't want to be stuck with the trial version of Norton.

    > Yep, do it.
    >
    > --
    > Duncan

    The touch pad on her ASUS notebook for the cursor is real sensitive.
    Doesn't take much to open and close programs while moving the cursor round
    with it. I guess there's settings to adjust it somewhere in the control
    panel perhaps.
    Tomorrow I'm going to try a Microsoft basic optical mouse in a USB port on
    the bugger for better control of the cursor. Hopefully it will find the
    mouse on startup. The mouse box doesn't mention Vista but this mouse
    product was probably around before Vista's release.

    E. Scrooge
    E. Scrooge, Oct 9, 2007
  12. E. Scrooge

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <1191927227.788179@ftpsrv1>, scrooge@*shot.co.nz says...

    > "Dave Doe" <> wrote in message
    > > In article <1191916090.667826@ftpsrv1>, scrooge@*shot.co.nz says...
    > >> This is a new laptop from Dick Smith that a friend has bought recently.
    > >> It
    > >> has 512MB RAM. Slow to start and shutdown thanks to Norton. Windows pop
    > >> up
    > >> checking that Adminstrator is installing programs and even when deleting
    > >> crap from the Recyle Bin.
    > >>
    > >> Getting rid of Norton from HP desktops running XP was easy enough with
    > >> some
    > >> patience. Can the same be said when dealing with Vista though?

    > > You'll need less patience, it's easier than XP (most things in Vista
    > > are).
    > >

    > >> Also anti virus software on it is AVG (free version) put on by Dick Smith
    > >> (I'm pretty sure).

    > > Huh? - is it Nortons or AVG - surely not both. (And they wouldn't put
    > > AVG free on it surely).
    > >

    > > --
    > > Duncan

    > The Norton security bugger seems to be a firewall security centre that takes
    > over from the Windows one. Slowing the computer down as it scans the same
    > startup programs each time Vista starts up.
    > Install date for AVG (free) is the 3rd of this month. I'm sure she
    > mentioned the guy at Dick Smith put it on for her. Each time Vista starts
    > there's the first setup screen popping up after a while for the setup of the
    > trial version of Norton. She's been closing it each time Vista starts up.
    > Norton uses a yellow shield similar looking to the Microsoft red shield.
    > I'm sure the Microsoft shield settings had to be checked after dumping
    > Norton from the XP computers.
    > I remember on XP in add/remove there was more than one Norton product to get
    > rid of.

    Yeah get rid of it all. Nortons/Symantec; NIS, SW, 360, do nothing but
    fuk computers over.

    Doesn't worry me too much, I get paid to fix 'em :)

    --
    Duncan
    Dave Doe, Oct 9, 2007
  13. E. Scrooge

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <1191927899.294627@ftpsrv1>, scrooge@*shot.co.nz says...

    > "Dave Doe" <> wrote in message
    > > In article <1191918563.571135@ftpsrv1>, scrooge@*shot.co.nz says...
    > >>
    > >> "John" <> wrote in message

    > >> Thanks, but I wouldn't want to take the risk of reinstalling Vista on
    > >> someone's new computer. One small error could **** the whole thing from
    > >> working again.

    > > Naaa - restore disks for all Asus notebooks w' Vista I've used have been
    > > a piece of cake. If you can have it connected to the net while you do
    > > the install it's even better.
    > >

    > >> I'll try the usual removal from the Control Panel as long as the owner is
    > >> willing. She doesn't want to be stuck with the trial version of Norton.

    > > Yep, do it.
    > >
    > > --
    > > Duncan

    > The touch pad on her ASUS notebook for the cursor is real sensitive.
    > Doesn't take much to open and close programs while moving the cursor round
    > with it. I guess there's settings to adjust it somewhere in the control
    > panel perhaps.

    Should be yep.

    > Tomorrow I'm going to try a Microsoft basic optical mouse in a USB port on
    > the bugger for better control of the cursor. Hopefully it will find the
    > mouse on startup. The mouse box doesn't mention Vista but this mouse
    > product was probably around before Vista's release.

    Vista supports it - jeez, get her an optical wheel mouse at least! :)

    --
    Duncan
    Dave Doe, Oct 9, 2007
  14. E. Scrooge

    PeeCee Guest

    > This is a new laptop from Dick Smith that a friend has bought recently.
    > It has 512MB RAM. Slow to start and shutdown thanks to Norton. Windows
    > pop up checking that Adminstrator is installing programs and even when
    > deleting crap from the Recyle Bin.
    >
    > Getting rid of Norton from HP desktops running XP was easy enough with
    > some patience. Can the same be said when dealing with Vista though?
    >
    > Also anti virus software on it is AVG (free version) put on by Dick Smith
    > (I'm pretty sure).
    >
    > Thanks for any help and suggestions.
    >
    > E. Scrooge

    ES

    Most of the NIS installations I've seen on new laptops recently (including
    Asus) need a final install before you can easily uninstall them without
    spending time digging in the hidden corners of Vista to root the installer
    out.
    i.e. run the NIS setup Icon on the desktop and let it do it's thing, I
    usually start them and go do something else for an hour or so depending on
    the speed of the Laptop.
    After the inevitable reboot you can then go to Control Panel, Programs and
    Features and just remove NIS in the normal way.
    (did one yesterday this way)
    AVG and NIS may confilict so it may pay to remove AVG first then reinstall
    after NIS is removed.
    AVG seems to run fine under Vista.
    There will be registry crap left but others have pointed to the Norton
    cleanup tools.

    Asus Laptops come with a restore image on DVD and will automatically replace
    the NIS installer on the desktop.
    The Asus Laptops I've handled have not had a seperate NIS CD.

    If you want to root out other 'Crap' (tm) installed at the factory (the
    image DVD is a copy of that factory install) have a look at 'PC Derapifyer'
    http://pcdecrapifier.com/

    Best
    Paul.
    PeeCee, Oct 9, 2007
  15. E. Scrooge

    E. Scrooge Guest

    "Dave Doe" <> wrote in message
    > In article <1191927899.294627@ftpsrv1>, scrooge@*shot.co.nz says...
    >>
    >> "Dave Doe" <> wrote in message
    >> > In article <1191918563.571135@ftpsrv1>, scrooge@*shot.co.nz says...

    >> > Naaa - restore disks for all Asus notebooks w' Vista I've used have
    >> > been
    >> > a piece of cake. If you can have it connected to the net while you do
    >> > the install it's even better.

    >> > Yep, do it.
    >> >
    >> > --
    >> > Duncan

    >> The touch pad on her ASUS notebook for the cursor is real sensitive.
    >> Doesn't take much to open and close programs while moving the cursor
    >> round
    >> with it. I guess there's settings to adjust it somewhere in the control
    >> panel perhaps.

    > Should be yep.
    >
    >> Tomorrow I'm going to try a Microsoft basic optical mouse in a USB port
    >> on
    >> the bugger for better control of the cursor. Hopefully it will find the
    >> mouse on startup. The mouse box doesn't mention Vista but this mouse
    >> product was probably around before Vista's release.

    > Vista supports it - jeez, get her an optical wheel mouse at least! :)
    >
    > --
    > Duncan

    It has a scroll wheel. At first I didn't think it was going to work after
    it found the new hardware, then it went searching amongst it's files for the
    mouse driver. Surprising thing was the cursor speed didn't need changing in
    the mouse settings. Much better than the sensitive touch pad in the laptop,
    with that thing opening programs while moving the cursor round the start
    menu etc the damn thing was at the very least dodgy and dangerous when
    uninstalling programs. Which was better having the mouse working instead.

    E. Scrooge
    E. Scrooge, Oct 10, 2007
  16. E. Scrooge

    E. Scrooge Guest

    "PeeCee" <> wrote in message
    > "E. Scrooge" <scrooge@*shot.co.nz (*sling)> wrote in message
    >> This is a new laptop from Dick Smith that a friend has bought recently.
    >> It has 512MB RAM. Slow to start and shutdown thanks to Norton. Windows
    >> pop up checking that Adminstrator is installing programs and even when
    >> deleting crap from the Recyle Bin.
    >>
    >> Getting rid of Norton from HP desktops running XP was easy enough with
    >> some patience. Can the same be said when dealing with Vista though?
    >>
    >> Also anti virus software on it is AVG (free version) put on by Dick Smith
    >> (I'm pretty sure).
    >>
    >> Thanks for any help and suggestions.
    >>
    >> E. Scrooge
    >>

    > ES
    >
    > Most of the NIS installations I've seen on new laptops recently (including
    > Asus) need a final install before you can easily uninstall them without
    > spending time digging in the hidden corners of Vista to root the installer
    > out.
    > i.e. run the NIS setup Icon on the desktop and let it do it's thing, I
    > usually start them and go do something else for an hour or so depending on
    > the speed of the Laptop.
    > After the inevitable reboot you can then go to Control Panel, Programs and
    > Features and just remove NIS in the normal way.
    > (did one yesterday this way)
    > AVG and NIS may confilict so it may pay to remove AVG first then reinstall
    > after NIS is removed.
    > AVG seems to run fine under Vista.
    > There will be registry crap left but others have pointed to the Norton
    > cleanup tools.
    >
    > Asus Laptops come with a restore image on DVD and will automatically
    > replace the NIS installer on the desktop.
    > The Asus Laptops I've handled have not had a seperate NIS CD.
    >
    > If you want to root out other 'Crap' (tm) installed at the factory (the
    > image DVD is a copy of that factory install) have a look at 'PC
    > Derapifyer'
    > http://pcdecrapifier.com/
    >
    > Best
    > Paul.

    Thanks very much, Paul.
    Windows uninstalled it without much buggering round at all. Vista starts up
    a bit quicker but on the ASUS has 64 processes running according to the Task
    manager, while my PC with XP has half that at 32 processes running after
    start up and going on the Net.
    The bit of crap left in the registry and possibly program files won't bother
    her. At least she won't get the slower start ups with the pop message that
    it has 70 odd days left on the trial and to complete the setup of the
    bugger.

    E. Scrooge
    E. Scrooge, Oct 10, 2007
  17. E. Scrooge

    E. Scrooge Guest

    "Dave Doe" <> wrote in message
    > In article <1191927227.788179@ftpsrv1>, scrooge@*shot.co.nz says...
    >>
    >> "Dave Doe" <> wrote in message
    >> > In article <1191916090.667826@ftpsrv1>, scrooge@*shot.co.nz says...

    >> > You'll need less patience, it's easier than XP (most things in Vista
    >> > are).

    >> > Huh? - is it Nortons or AVG - surely not both. (And they wouldn't put
    >> > AVG free on it surely).
    >> >

    >> > --
    >> > Duncan

    >> The Norton security bugger seems to be a firewall security centre that
    >> takes
    >> over from the Windows one. Slowing the computer down as it scans the
    >> same
    >> startup programs each time Vista starts up.
    >> Install date for AVG (free) is the 3rd of this month. I'm sure she
    >> mentioned the guy at Dick Smith put it on for her. Each time Vista
    >> starts
    >> there's the first setup screen popping up after a while for the setup of
    >> the
    >> trial version of Norton. She's been closing it each time Vista starts
    >> up.
    >> Norton uses a yellow shield similar looking to the Microsoft red shield.
    >> I'm sure the Microsoft shield settings had to be checked after dumping
    >> Norton from the XP computers.
    >> I remember on XP in add/remove there was more than one Norton product to
    >> get
    >> rid of.

    > Yeah get rid of it all. Nortons/Symantec; NIS, SW, 360, do nothing but
    > fuk computers over.
    >
    > Doesn't worry me too much, I get paid to fix 'em :)
    >
    > --
    > Duncan

    Apart from running a Hell of a lot more processes on start up I don't see
    much difference between Vista Basic and XP, only little changes to be
    different from XP apart from the dumping of OE.

    You're right about being easy enough to uninstall Norton from the control
    panel on Vista, thanks.

    E. Scrooge
    E. Scrooge, Oct 10, 2007
  18. E. Scrooge

    John Guest

    > "John" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "E. Scrooge" <scrooge@*shot.co.nz (*sling)> wrote in message
    >>> This is a new laptop from Dick Smith that a friend has bought recently.
    >>> It has 512MB RAM. Slow to start and shutdown thanks to Norton. Windows
    >>> pop up checking that Adminstrator is installing programs and even when
    >>> deleting crap from the Recyle Bin.
    >>>
    >>> Getting rid of Norton from HP desktops running XP was easy enough with
    >>> some patience. Can the same be said when dealing with Vista though?
    >>>
    >>> Also anti virus software on it is AVG (free version) put on by Dick
    >>> Smith (I'm pretty sure).
    >>>
    >>> Thanks for any help and suggestions.
    >>>
    >>> E. Scrooge
    >>>

    >> Does it just come with restore disks, or does it come with the full OEM
    >> operating system? If it is the full OEM operating system, if you reset it
    >> up, it then shouldn't have all the bundled bloatware on it. Even with the
    >> restore disks I don't think it should reinstall the nortons software,
    >> as normally they will give you a seperate nortons disk with teh computer.

    > Thanks, but I wouldn't want to take the risk of reinstalling Vista on
    > someone's new computer. One small error could **** the whole thing from
    > working again.
    >
    > I'll try the usual removal from the Control Panel as long as the owner is
    > willing. She doesn't want to be stuck with the trial version of Norton.
    >
    > E. Scrooge

    I think you are pretty safe these days, and vista is very easy to install.
    It is really the only way to fully get rid of nortons. When I buy a new
    computer with software pre installed, I always reinstall it again anyway.
    John, Oct 10, 2007
  19. E. Scrooge

    Bobs Guest

    Re: ASUS Laptop Vista OS - Any Hassles Removing Norton Security CrapFrom It?

    E. Scrooge wrote:
    > This is a new laptop from Dick Smith that a friend has bought recently. It
    > has 512MB RAM. Slow to start and shutdown thanks to Norton. Windows pop up
    > checking that Adminstrator is installing programs and even when deleting
    > crap from the Recyle Bin.
    >
    > Getting rid of Norton from HP desktops running XP was easy enough with some
    > patience. Can the same be said when dealing with Vista though?
    >
    > Also anti virus software on it is AVG (free version) put on by Dick Smith
    > (I'm pretty sure).
    >
    > Thanks for any help and suggestions.
    >
    > E. Scrooge

    Norton Antivirus is an apt example of the expression "the cure is worse
    than the disease".

    Truely a nasty piece of software that's worse than most viruses.
    Bobs, Oct 10, 2007
  20. E. Scrooge

    E. Scrooge Guest

    "Bobs" <> wrote in message
    > E. Scrooge wrote:
    >> This is a new laptop from Dick Smith that a friend has bought recently.
    >> It has 512MB RAM. Slow to start and shutdown thanks to Norton. Windows
    >> pop up checking that Adminstrator is installing programs and even when
    >> deleting crap from the Recyle Bin.
    >>
    >> Getting rid of Norton from HP desktops running XP was easy enough with
    >> some patience. Can the same be said when dealing with Vista though?
    >>
    >> Also anti virus software on it is AVG (free version) put on by Dick Smith
    >> (I'm pretty sure).
    >>
    >> Thanks for any help and suggestions.
    >>
    >> E. Scrooge

    > Norton Antivirus is an apt example of the expression "the cure is worse
    > than the disease".
    >
    > Truely a nasty piece of software that's worse than most viruses.

    Very crippling alright.

    E. Scrooge
    E. Scrooge, Oct 10, 2007