Asus K8V SE Deluxe mobo

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by MC, Jan 25, 2005.

  1. MC

    MC Guest

    Hi all

    Bought the following

    Asus K8V SE Deluxe mobo, Athlon 64bit 3400 (retail), Antec True Power 330,
    Seagate SATA 160 and Kingston 512 Ram. I am using other old components e.g.
    Pioneer DVD rewriter and Gainward MX 440.

    The problem is this- I plugged in all the bear components- PSU (both the ATX
    and ATX12V are plugged in), CPU, video card and RAM. The PC will not power
    up. If I remove the ATX 12V the CPU fan and PSU would come alive and that's
    about it. The green LED on the board indicates that it's working.

    I have already RMAd the motherboard in which the suppier confirmed that I
    had a dodgy unit but the replacement is doing the exactly the same thing.
    Could this be yet another dodgy board? I know there is nothing wrong with
    the PSU as I have tested it on another system. If the CPU is faulty I would
    at least expect the PC to boot through the bios post etc.

    Am I doing something wrong or do I need to return it yet again?

    TIA

    MC, Jan 25, 2005

  2. MC

    JOni Guest

    I have the same Mainboard - What PSU you using i.e Wattage

    JOni, Jan 25, 2005

  3. MC

    MC Guest

    It's an Antec True Power 330W. I know this isn't high but with only the bear
    components attached I would expect it to at least boot up.
    BTW did you have problems getting your mobo to work?

    Thanks

    MC, Jan 25, 2005
  4. MC

    JOni Guest

    I had no probs with a 500 Watt
    Have you tried to fire up with the bare minimum connected.

    JOni, Jan 25, 2005
  5. MC

    MC Guest

    Yup! Connected CPU, RAM and video card. And of course both the ATX and
    ATX12V. The damn thing will not fire up but if I remove the ATX12V, the PSU
    and CPU fans would work!!! But there no beep codes. This is a very first and
    maybe the last experience I may have with Asus 'cos I have requested for
    another RMA and will be swapping for a Gigabyte instead which all my
    previous system have been in the past without any problems.

    Thanks again.

    MC, Jan 25, 2005
  6. MC

    jp10558 Guest

    On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 22:04:19 GMT, MC wrote:

    > Yup! Connected CPU, RAM and video card. And of course both the

    ATX and
    > ATX12V. The damn thing will not fire up but if I remove the

    ATX12V, the PSU
    > and CPU fans would work!!! But there no beep codes. This is a

    very first and
    > maybe the last experience I may have with Asus 'cos I have

    requested for
    > another RMA and will be swapping for a Gigabyte instead which

    all my
    > previous system have been in the past without any problems.

    Well, I have used ASUS for a long time. Only had one problem -
    interestingly enough it was with a Via chipset board. All my
    nVidia based ones have been a dream.

    One thing I would recommend checking is if that PSU actually
    meets the minimum requirements for the board. The reason I ask
    is that my FIRST motherboard upgrade I ever did myself was like
    your experiance:

    I had an old 250W PSU from 1999. It was 2002 and I was upgrading
    to an XP 2400+. I didn't notice, but the board required a 300W
    Minimum, so I had a similar experiance. I put in a 400W and it
    worked fine. 330W is quite low, and figuring the time, it may
    actually require more to power up the videocard and board.

    The other weird thing that happened to me was when I passed that
    old board on in 2003. It worked fine for a year or so for me, I
    passed it to my sister as I was upgrading, and it just didn't
    turn on. We RMA'd it, and got a different board back, and she
    just couldn't get it to work either. Never figured out why. I
    just passed her my old (upgraded again lol) nVidia based ASUS
    board and works fine in her PC.

    The basic moral of my story here is that many people have good
    experiances with ASUS, but a few have some setup or "bad karma"
    or something that makes it not work. Probably like all
    manufacturers there are bad batches. Part 2 of the moral is the
    problems I had stopped when I stopped getting Via based boards.
    I don't have a technical reason why, I'm not saying it's via
    (though some will) nor that the failure is on ASUS's part (some
    will say that as well.

    jp10558

    jp10558, Jan 25, 2005
  7. MC

    MC Guest

    Thanks for your reply. I agree 330W is quite low- the board's minimum is
    300W and recommended is 350W. I managed to borrow a brand new Antec
    SmartPower 350W and it still won't boot, so I doubt it is the PSU.

    Thanks for reminding

    MC, Jan 25, 2005
  8. MC

    Paul Guest

    In article <DnzJd.336$>, "MC"
    <> wrote:

    > Yup! Connected CPU, RAM and video card. And of course both the ATX and
    > ATX12V. The damn thing will not fire up but if I remove the ATX12V, the PSU
    > and CPU fans would work!!! But there no beep codes. This is a very first and
    > maybe the last experience I may have with Asus 'cos I have requested for
    > another RMA and will be swapping for a Gigabyte instead which all my
    > previous system have been in the past without any problems.
    >
    > Thanks again.

    Based on power supply specifications, there should be enough amps
    for that combination to work.

    But your symptoms and the fact that you've swapped motherboards,
    should be telling you that the PSU is at fault. If you purchased
    the PSU locally, take it back to the shop and swap it. Even
    borrow a supply from someone, test with that, and I bet the
    motherboard will start (if the Truepower hasn't damaged it,
    that is).

    It is always a good idea to keep a quality spare power supply
    around, because sooner or later, you'll need it. It also
    helps if the supply is a different brand, than the one
    currently in your computer case.

    There was one Asus P4 based board, that would not start up with
    _any_ Antec Truepower ATX supply. Other brands of power supplies
    would work. Asus fixed the problem with a component change on
    the motherboard, and repaired under RMA, the initial batch of
    production boards that were affected. I doubt this scenario is
    being replayed on the K8V, because otherwise this group would be
    full of stories about that combination of components. (Also,
    your symptoms are consistent with an overload of +12V, and not
    a latchoff of the Vcore circuit, that seemed to be at the root
    of this Abxzone scenario.)

    http://abxzone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=71612&highlight=truepower p4p800

    Paul

    Paul, Jan 26, 2005
  9. MC

    MC Guest

    The PSU has been used before this new build- again nothing wrong with it.

    Thanks

    MC, Jan 26, 2005
  10. MC

    NoNoBadDog! Guest

    Two points;

    ASUS recommends a 500 watt power supply, and it *STRONGLY* recommends that
    the 12 volt rail have at least 18 AMPS. I would suspect that your PSU, in
    addition to being below 500 watts, delivers far less than the recommended on
    the 12 volt rail. A good 500+ watt PSU can be had for well under $100...why
    cheap out on the PSU?

    Bobby

    NoNoBadDog!, Jan 26, 2005
  11. MC

    MC Guest

    You are a genius.....it worked!!! The component that was causing the short
    circuit was a flat copper scew like thingy. This was required by the case
    manufacturer which is suppose to ground the case! Well, I removed this and
    everything works and luckily no components damaged.

    Thanks for everyone's contribution.

    MC, Jan 26, 2005
  12. MC

    jp10558 Guest

    jp10558, Jan 26, 2005
  13. MC

    MC Guest

    Noise level was my number priority and I don't have a heavy load on the PC.
    If the worst comes to the worst I will upgrade the PSU. If it's stable then
    I keep it.

    "jp10558" <> wrote in message

    MC, Jan 26, 2005
  14. MC

    Tocapet Guest

    POWMAX is unstable. I don't remember which rail.. It was either the 5V or
    3.3V rail.. Anyway, my mobo monitor software kept beeping and telling me
    the voltage was fluctuating out of range too much. Swapping the Powmax for
    an Antec Trupower 550 cured it.

    Anybody need a Powmax 500W dual fan PSU?

    Tocapet

    Tocapet, Jan 27, 2005