    I thought it would be completely silent, but it's not--in a quiet room, I
    can hear a soft whirring noise--there must be a fan inside.

    Anybody else tried one?

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Nov 15, 2007

  2. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Murray Symon Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

    > I got one! Picked it up from Dick Smith Powerhouse yesterday. I'm using it
    > to write this posting now.
    >
    > Yes, it's absolutely tiny. Keyboard's small, but I haven't found it to be
    > a big irritation. Previously with touchpads I have a lot of trouble when
    > my hands start sweating, but this one has seemed OK so far. Had a bit of
    > trouble with phantom clicks, so I just turned off the "tapping" feature,
    > and that seems to have put a stop to it.
    >
    > I thought it would be completely silent, but it's not--in a quiet room, I
    > can hear a soft whirring noise--there must be a fan inside.
    >
    > Anybody else tried one?

    What are the specs of the one you bought? Are they going to be standard
    stock for Dick Smith, or just in the Powerhouse shops?

    Murray Symon, Nov 15, 2007

  3. In article <1195119770.281213@ftpsrv1>, Murray Symon did write:

    > What are the specs of the one you bought?

    900MHz Intel Celeron, half gig RAM, 4 gig SSD, 800*480 screen, stereo
    speakers, microphone, webcam, 10/100 ethernet, 802.11b/g wireless, SD card
    reader, 3 USB ports, line in and out, video out. Weighs 920g.

    Comes with a customized version of Xandros Linux.

    > Are they going to be standard
    > stock for Dick Smith, or just in the Powerhouse shops?

    Looks like it's a few other places besides Powerhouse
    <http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/473c1a3d01069f4a2740c0a87f33061f/Product/View/XC5809>.
    However, the only colour they have is white.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Nov 15, 2007
  4. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Steven Ellis Guest

    On Nov 15, 10:14 pm, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
    central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
    > I got one! Picked it up from Dick Smith Powerhouse yesterday. I'm using it
    > to write this posting now.
    >
    > Yes, it's absolutely tiny. Keyboard's small, but I haven't found it to be a
    > big irritation. Previously with touchpads I have a lot of trouble when my
    > hands start sweating, but this one has seemed OK so far. Had a bit of
    > trouble with phantom clicks, so I just turned off the "tapping" feature,
    > and that seems to have put a stop to it.
    >
    > I thought it would be completely silent, but it's not--in a quiet room, I
    > can hear a soft whirring noise--there must be a fan inside.
    >
    > Anybody else tried one?

    Had a play with one today. Didn't hear a fan but the office wasn't
    silent at the time.

    Very nice and easy to use, but the keyboard was a tad small. I'd be
    happy with another couple of hundred grams for a bigger keyboard and
    screen.

    None of the review have shown a fan, so I'm not sure what you were
    hearing.

    Steven Ellis, Nov 15, 2007
  5. In article
    <>, Steven
    Ellis did write:

    > Had a play with one today. Didn't hear a fan but the office wasn't
    > silent at the time.

    If you get another chance with one, try holding your ear close to the
    underside, to the left of the SSD compartment. That's where the whirring
    seems to be coming from.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Nov 15, 2007
  6. More comments:

    It comes by default with a simplified "Easy" interface, with one-click icons
    giving you access to the standard apps, grouped into various tabs
    named "Work", "Learn", "Play" etc. But it's very easy to get beneath the
    surface of this and mess about--it is a full Linux system, after all.

    The 4GB drive contains two main partitions, a 2.4GB one containing the
    preinstalled system, and a 1.4GB one where all the user-made changes go.
    The two are mounted using "unionfs", which means they look like a single
    filesystem, except your changes (including file renames/deletions!) are
    saved in the latter, so the former remains untouched for easy restoration.
    At least, I think that's how it works.

    There are quite a few resources on the Web. Some enterprising users have put
    together a collection of tips and tricks (and a Wiki) at
    <http://www.eeeuser.com/>. Ars Technica have a good review, with some more
    useful tips, here
    <http://arstechnica.com/reviews/hardware/eee-pc-review.ars/1>.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Nov 15, 2007
  7. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    XPD Guest

    >I got one! Picked it up from Dick Smith Powerhouse yesterday. I'm using it
    > to write this posting now.
    >
    > Yes, it's absolutely tiny. Keyboard's small, but I haven't found it to be
    > big irritation. Previously with touchpads I have a lot of trouble when my
    > hands start sweating, but this one has seemed OK so far. Had a bit of
    > trouble with phantom clicks, so I just turned off the "tapping" feature,
    > and that seems to have put a stop to it.
    >
    > I thought it would be completely silent, but it's not--in a quiet room, I
    > can hear a soft whirring noise--there must be a fan inside.
    >
    > Anybody else tried one?

    Havent tried one myself but Id still be 50/50 on getting one......... for
    an extra $2-300 can get a full on laptop with 15" screen, 60gb+ HDD etc
    etc...
    Obviously size/weight the Asus seems the better option for portability......

    Guess its one of those things that you dont know until youve tried it.... :)

    XPD, Nov 15, 2007
  8. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Allistar Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

    > I got one! Picked it up from Dick Smith Powerhouse yesterday. I'm using it
    > to write this posting now.
    >
    > Yes, it's absolutely tiny. Keyboard's small, but I haven't found it to be
    > a big irritation. Previously with touchpads I have a lot of trouble when
    > my hands start sweating, but this one has seemed OK so far. Had a bit of
    > trouble with phantom clicks, so I just turned off the "tapping" feature,
    > and that seems to have put a stop to it.
    >
    > I thought it would be completely silent, but it's not--in a quiet room, I
    > can hear a soft whirring noise--there must be a fan inside.
    >
    > Anybody else tried one?

    I haven't, but am very interested in one. I'd like one for business trips
    and times spent in airport departure lounges. I would only use it to
    remotely access my main computer using NX, so if that didn't work it would
    be a deal breaker.
    --
    A.

    Allistar, Nov 15, 2007
  9. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    PeeCee Guest

    "Murray Symon" <> wrote in message
    > Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >
    >> I got one! Picked it up from Dick Smith Powerhouse yesterday. I'm using
    >> it
    >> to write this posting now.
    >>
    >> Yes, it's absolutely tiny. Keyboard's small, but I haven't found it to be
    >> a big irritation. Previously with touchpads I have a lot of trouble when
    >> my hands start sweating, but this one has seemed OK so far. Had a bit of
    >> trouble with phantom clicks, so I just turned off the "tapping" feature,
    >> and that seems to have put a stop to it.
    >>
    >> I thought it would be completely silent, but it's not--in a quiet room, I
    >> can hear a soft whirring noise--there must be a fan inside.
    >>
    >> Anybody else tried one?

    > What are the specs of the one you bought? Are they going to be standard
    > stock for Dick Smith, or just in the Powerhouse shops?

    Processor: Intel Celeron
    Memory: 512MB, DDR2-400
    Hard Drive: 4GB Flash
    Display: 7" Display
    Networking: 10?100 Mbps Ethernet
    Wireless: WiFi 802.11b?g
    Graphics: Intel UMA
    Webcam: 300K pixel video camera
    Audio: Hi-Definition Audio CODEC; Built-in stereo speaker; Built-in
    microphone
    I?O: 3 x USB Ports, 1 x VGA Output, Card Reader, 1 x Audio Out Jack, 1 x
    Microphone In Jack, 1 x RJ45 LAN Jack for LAN insert
    OS: Linux? Microsoft Windows XP compatible
    Battery Life: 3hrs (4 cells: 5200mAh, 2S2P)
    Dimension & Weight: 22.5 x 16.5 x 2.1~3.5cm, 0.92kg

    P.

    PeeCee, Nov 15, 2007
  10. In article <>, Allistar did
    write:

    > I'd like one for business trips and times spent in airport departure
    > lounges.

    It would probably work well for that. I bought it so I could recline on my
    living-room sofa while reading the large amounts of documentation, Web
    pages etc that I need to keep up with.

    The main compromises are the screen size and cramped keyboard. That's the
    price you pay for such a small, easy-to-carry form factor. And of course
    the low cost. The storage is also small, but the lack of a hard drive helps
    with the robustness, and I think also with the battery life.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Nov 15, 2007
  11. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Allistar Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

    > In article <>, Allistar did
    > write:
    >
    >> I'd like one for business trips and times spent in airport departure
    >> lounges.

    > It would probably work well for that. I bought it so I could recline on my
    > living-room sofa while reading the large amounts of documentation, Web
    > pages etc that I need to keep up with.

    I'm being lazy here, but what is the working resolution, and does the WM
    come preconfigured to "pan" over a larger virtual deskeop size?

    > The main compromises are the screen size and cramped keyboard. That's the
    > price you pay for such a small, easy-to-carry form factor. And of course
    > the low cost. The storage is also small, but the lack of a hard drive
    > helps with the robustness, and I think also with the battery life.

    Disk space wouldn't be a concern for me if I use it to access a remote
    computer. I do like the idea behind unionfs, that's damn clever.
    --
    A.

    Allistar, Nov 16, 2007
  12. In article <>, Allistar did
    write:

    > ... does the WM come preconfigured to "pan" over a larger virtual
    > desk[t]op size?

    No it doesn't. 800*480 is all you get.

    I tried a couple of the games. The old classic "Frozen Bubble" runs nicely
    (no big surprise), but "Penguin Racer", even with its modest 3D
    requirements, could only manage about 4 frames per second or so.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Nov 16, 2007
  13. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Bobs Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    > In article <>, Allistar did
    > write:
    >
    >> ... does the WM come preconfigured to "pan" over a larger virtual
    >> desk[t]op size?

    > No it doesn't. 800*480 is all you get.
    >
    > I tried a couple of the games. The old classic "Frozen Bubble" runs nicely
    > (no big surprise), but "Penguin Racer", even with its modest 3D
    > requirements, could only manage about 4 frames per second or so.

    Let's see....$675 from DSE for a five year old plus CPU.

    For an extra 250 bucks you can get a Toshiba dual core laptop with a gig
    of ram and 60 gig storage.

    Bobs, Nov 16, 2007
  14. In article <473d450d$>, Bobs did write:

    > For an extra 250 bucks you can get a Toshiba dual core laptop with a gig
    > of ram and 60 gig storage.

    Which probably feels slower.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Nov 16, 2007
  15. In <fhh2kv$coc$> Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    > I got one! Picked it up from Dick Smith Powerhouse yesterday. I'm
    > using it to write this posting now.

    That was quick: someone's already got Mac OS X running on one.

    http://uneasysilence.com/archive/2007/11/12654/

    --
    * Roger Johnstone, Invercargill, New Zealand -> http://roger.geek.nz
    * PS/2 Mouse Adapter for vintage Apple II or Mac

    Roger Johnstone, Nov 16, 2007
  16. In article <>, Roger Johnstone did
    write:

    > That was quick: someone's already got Mac OS X running on one.
    >
    > http://uneasysilence.com/archive/2007/11/12654/

    "I’ve noticed that Leopard is a bit pokey on the eeePC..."

    Really, why would you want to?

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Nov 16, 2007

    http://www.geekculture.com/joyoftech/joyarchives/1027.html

    Roger Johnstone, Nov 16, 2007
  18. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    -=rjh=- Guest

    Roger Johnstone wrote:
    > In <fhh2kv$coc$> Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >> I got one! Picked it up from Dick Smith Powerhouse yesterday. I'm
    >> using it to write this posting now.

    > That was quick: someone's already got Mac OS X running on one.
    >
    > http://uneasysilence.com/archive/2007/11/12654/

    Apparently the ram is also upgradeable to 2GB.

    -=rjh=-, Nov 16, 2007
  19. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    E. Scrooge Guest

    > In article <1195119770.281213@ftpsrv1>, Murray Symon did write:
    >
    >> What are the specs of the one you bought?

    > 900MHz Intel Celeron, half gig RAM, 4 gig SSD, 800*480 screen, stereo
    > speakers, microphone, webcam, 10/100 ethernet, 802.11b/g wireless, SD card
    > reader, 3 USB ports, line in and out, video out. Weighs 920g.
    >
    > Comes with a customized version of Xandros Linux.
    >
    >> Are they going to be standard
    >> stock for Dick Smith, or just in the Powerhouse shops?

    > Looks like it's a few other places besides Powerhouse
    > <http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/473c1a3d01069f4a2740c0a87f33061f/Product/View/XC5809>.
    > However, the only colour they have is white.

    Real High Definition stuff you've got there.

    E. Scrooge

    E. Scrooge, Nov 17, 2007
  20. Took it round to a friend's place today. She wasn't impressed, but then
    she's elderly and her eyes aren't what they used to be. Though I did use it
    to draw a quick diagram to illustrate to her where the Indian sweet shop is
    located off the Five Cross Roads roundabout.

    While I was there, I did a scan for wireless networks, and found three, two
    of which were listed as "Encryption key: off". Their names all seemed to be
    generic defaults: "DLINK_WIRELESS", "DLINK" and "linksys". All were on the
    same channel (6)--I wonder if their users noticed that they were
    interfering with each other.

    No, I didn't try connecting...

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Nov 18, 2007