    K8N4-E Deluxe
    K8N-E
    K8N-E Deluxe
    =?Utf-8?B?VHlwZSBSIDY1MA==?=, Dec 9, 2005

  2. =?Utf-8?B?VHlwZSBSIDY1MA==?=

    JBM Guest

    "Type R 650" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >I have an HP pavilion a550e, which as i just recently found out, has the
    > motherboard ASUS K8N8X-LA PES motherboard socket 754. The HP name of this
    > board is Diablo.
    >
    > Problem being, on the ASUS website, this exact model # is not listed...
    > below are the ones that match its the best... which should I use ? HP
    > provided no support.
    >
    > K8N
    > K8N4-E
    > K8N4-E Deluxe
    > K8N-E
    > K8N-E Deluxe

    Run a program like cpuz to find what chipset your board uses. Use Google to
    find it.
    That should narrow your choices. But I would be reluctant to use
    any bios or driver files from the asus web site though.
    I did find this on hp
    http://search.hp.com/query.html?lang=en&submit.x=9&submit.y=6&qt=K8N8X-LA&la=en&cc=us
    JBM, Dec 9, 2005

  3. JBM, I know what model # I have, it is listed below. My problem now is, HP
    does not have drivers for 64 bit. ASUS does, but my exact model are not
    listed.

    I ran cpu-z, but all it reveals is ASUS Diablo 1.xx Diablo is HP's name
    for the ASUS board, not the actual board name. I didnt know if i am supposed
    to just download the K8N driver since my board is K8N8X-LA PES. HP told me
    its microsofts responsibility, and microsoft says each company is responsible
    for drivers..

    Should I be barking up HP's or ASUS's tree ? can I use the K8N driver ?
    i was sold on this particular computer due to the fact that I could put on
    xp 64, but if there are no drivers, its kind of a waste.

    =?Utf-8?B?VHlwZSBSIDY1MA==?=, Dec 9, 2005
  4. =?Utf-8?B?VHlwZSBSIDY1MA==?=

    JBM Guest

    The reason I wouldn't use drivers from the Asus site is because you MB was
    probably
    manufactured specificly for HP and the files from Asus may do more hard than
    good.
    When I run cpuz on my K8N-E DLX it tells me I have an Nforce3 - 250 chipset
    so I thought it would give you that info.
    As far as 64bit driver support I think that would be HP's responsibility

    JBM, Dec 9, 2005
  5. Do not try to use files from the ASUS site for an HP board. Even though it
    may have been made by ASUS, there is every likelihood that there are
    specific changes required by HP to meet their needs and these will NOT be
    handled correctly by the ASUS downloads. You really have to go to HP and get
    support from them. And if they won't, then you should stick to 32-bit
    Windows XP Professional.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Dec 9, 2005
  6. http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/genericDocument?cc=us&docname=c00064822&lc=en
    says the motherboard has an nForce3 chipset and Realtek sound and ethernet
    drivers.

    You need the nVidia nForce3 drivers from
    http://www.nvidia.com/object/nforce_udp_winxp64_6.25.html These beta drivers
    are the latest and best.

    And the Realtek sound drivers
    http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/dlac97-2.aspx?lineid=5&famid=12&series=8&Software=True

    For your LAN connection see http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/phyDesc.aspx
    You will need the relevant MAC driver.
    This may be - I am guessing that Marvell is the MAC chip supplier, you
    should check the chips on the motherboard if this doesn't work - the 64-bit
    driver from http://www.marvell.com/drivers/driverSearchResults.do

    This is an ASUS OEM board, so HP are responsible for support, and if it is
    not a current model HP may not be willing to support x64 on it. But all HP
    would usually do is collect the manufacturers' chipset drivers in a single
    location. If you identify the chips, you can find the drivers yourself.

    Dominic Payer, Dec 9, 2005
  7. Good point Dominic.
    I would also go a little further - first creating a restore point! - and
    download the newer NForce 3 250 x64 drivers (version 6.34 beta) from the ASUS
    K8N mobo site.
    ftp://ftp.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/sock754/K8N/K8N_WinXP_64bit_634B.zip
    My son's got an ASUS K8N and has been using those drivers with no problems.
    Then again, use it at your own risk!
    Carlos

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=, Dec 9, 2005
  8. =?Utf-8?B?VHlwZSBSIDY1MA==?=

    Patrick Guest

    When you say "HP provided no support" is this from their tech support -
    verbally?
    Or you have already tried to use the drivers that the unit shipped with and
    got an error
    message?

    Patrick, Dec 9, 2005
  9. First, I am running this on my spare HD, I am doing this just for evaluation
    purposes.. so, I have nothing to lose if i get wrong drivers, I will just
    reinstall windows if i have to. - I do not want to upgrade bios unless i have
    to though, since this could cause problems.

    second, The support I got from HP included :
    1) sending me to the download page for the ORIGINAL drivers for the computer
    - only Windows 98 and XP were listed for compatible OS.
    2) telling me if i upgrade software, HP only provides hardware support....
    when i said that i needed drivers, i was told " check back in a couple of
    days, maybee they will have been released by then... but i have no idea if
    they are even being created."

    Should I try and use the drivers that Dominic Payer suggested ?
    =?Utf-8?B?VHlwZSBSIDY1MA==?=, Dec 9, 2005
  10. =?Utf-8?B?VHlwZSBSIDY1MA==?=

    Patrick Guest

    Sounds like you have the proper perspective for this project.

    Yeah - find out what chipset the board has and then you can
    select from ASUS website and Nvida - what you think matches
    the best - you may end up mixing and matching / experimenting.
    Dominic has pointed you in the right direction so check his post
    again and have fun!

    Patrick, Dec 10, 2005
  11. I Favor the Last Advice Charlie Offered. Just because ASUS is the
    Manufacturer doesn't mean you can use their drivers. HP has that board made
    for Them and then adds their own Additions to it making it a Propietary
    Board....My Advice is to get the drivers from HP and my Next Advice is Not to
    Purchase Proprietary Machines like HP, Compaq, IBM, Acer, Gateway, etc. Build
    your Own Machine or Buy a Clone with your Specification of Hardware. You will
    be mauch Happier I assure You and you can then get Drivers Direct from the
    Manufacturer. That is the Way I Prefer my Machines and you couldn't give me a
    Propietary Machine at all....

    Good Luck!!!!
    --
    Sandy Bryson-Owner
    Small-Business Computer Solutions of Texas

    =?Utf-8?B?U0JDU1RY?=, Dec 22, 2005
  12. =?Utf-8?B?VHlwZSBSIDY1MA==?=

    John John Guest

    SBCSTX wrote:

    > and you couldn't give me a
    > Propietary Machine at all....

    You could give me an IBM IntelliStation A Pro, or an HP xw9300 or even a
    Sun Java W2100z Workstation any time you wish! I'll email you my
    shipping address.

    John
    John John, Dec 22, 2005
  13. John,
    That comment sounds like something that would come from a kid....I thought
    this was a Professional User Group for System Builders....

    =?Utf-8?B?U0JDU1RY?=, Dec 23, 2005
  14. I understand your reaction, but this is not a professional ng for system
    builders. It is a unmanaged ng for the general public.

    Colin Barnhorst, Dec 23, 2005
  15. Just one that so far has had a pretty high level of regular user. :)

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Dec 24, 2005
  16. Agreed.

    Colin Barnhorst, Dec 24, 2005
  17. I stand Corrected...Sorry for that comment gentlemen. This is not the System
    Builder Site....My Appologies to All.

    =?Utf-8?B?U0JDU1RY?=, Dec 24, 2005
  18. =?Utf-8?B?VHlwZSBSIDY1MA==?=

    John John Guest

    I apologize for my remark. I should have worded that in a different manner.

    Sincerely;

    John

    John John, Dec 24, 2005