    How do I rectify this as I cant find anything in the book on how to change
    this.
    TIA
    BIGEYE, May 14, 2004

  2. "BIGEYE" <Securitypatch@µsoft.is.invalid> wrote in message
    news:40a50b48$0$10121$...
    > I have just installed an Asus A7V8X-X motherboard and an Athlon 2500XP
    > processor.
    > When I first started the pc up and it goes to bios settings, it shows CPU
    > Speed 1467 MHz and CPU Frequency Multiple x 11.
    > Should this not show that CPU Speed as 2500 Mhz.
    > How do I rectify this as I cant find anything in the book on how to change
    > this.
    > TIA

    You need to increase the FSB of your motherboard to 133
    Open the bios by pressing del or whatever it asks you to press when the
    system boots.
    Move to the advanced tab
    Change the CPU External Frequency (Mhz) to 133, it is probably on 100 at the
    mo.
    Save changes and exit the bios.
    Once it has restarted, it should report it as an Athlon XP 2500 but in fact
    its running at 1950.

    HTH
    Gareth
    Gareth not NLL or anybody else., May 14, 2004

  3. BIGEYE

    chip_y2kuk Guest

    "Gareth not NLL or anybody else." <> wrote in message

    > "BIGEYE" <Securitypatch@µsoft.is.invalid> wrote in message
    > > I have just installed an Asus A7V8X-X motherboard and an Athlon 2500XP
    > > processor.
    > > When I first started the pc up and it goes to bios settings, it shows

    CPU
    > > Speed 1467 MHz and CPU Frequency Multiple x 11.
    > > Should this not show that CPU Speed as 2500 Mhz.
    > > How do I rectify this as I cant find anything in the book on how to

    change
    > > this.
    > > TIA
    > >

    > You need to increase the FSB of your motherboard to 133
    > Open the bios by pressing del or whatever it asks you to press when the
    > system boots.
    > Move to the advanced tab
    > Change the CPU External Frequency (Mhz) to 133, it is probably on 100 at

    the
    > mo.
    > Save changes and exit the bios.
    > Once it has restarted, it should report it as an Athlon XP 2500 but in

    fact
    > its running at 1950.
    >

    > HTH
    > Gareth

    The XP 2500 doesnt run at 2.5 ghz it's just the numbering that athlon uses.
    it is likely to be at most a 2ghz but i dnt know the exact speed for the
    2500
    chip_y2kuk, May 14, 2004
  4. BIGEYE

    Butcher Guest

    > I have just installed an Asus A7V8X-X motherboard and an Athlon 2500XP
    > processor.
    > When I first started the pc up and it goes to bios settings, it shows CPU
    > Speed 1467 MHz and CPU Frequency Multiple x 11.
    > Should this not show that CPU Speed as 2500 Mhz.
    > How do I rectify this as I cant find anything in the book on how to change
    > this.
    > TIA

    Also, remember that AMD does dot rate it's CPU at it's actual speed, but
    rates it at an "as fast as" speed compared to other processors (Intel)

    So although I haven't looked up their speeds for this chip, it will very
    likely run at a much lower speed than it's "as fast as" speed.

    Don't change anything untill you know what the clock and frequency
    multipliers actually are, or it could be bye-bye for the processor.
    Butcher, May 14, 2004
  5. BIGEYE

    Kenny Guest

    I have an Athlon 2500XP Barton on an Asus A7N8X. FSB is at 166MHz and
    multiplier at 11 giving a true speed of 1826MHz. You probably have FSB at
    133MHz which would give you 1463MHz.

    --

    Kenny

    Kenny, May 14, 2004
  6. "Kenny" <> wrote in message
    > I have an Athlon 2500XP Barton on an Asus A7N8X. FSB is at 166MHz and
    > multiplier at 11 giving a true speed of 1826MHz. You probably have FSB at
    > 133MHz which would give you 1463MHz.

    FSB X Multiplier = CPU speed
    166 X 11 =1826
    Correct speed for the 2500 xp is 1830~

    I made a mistake in my post :-( by dividing 1463 by 100 instead of 11 to
    get the fsb.

    Correct FSB is 166 which Kenny has explained

    Gaz
    Gareth not NLL or anybody else., May 14, 2004
  7. BIGEYE

    BIGEYE Guest

    Thanks to all. Problem solved with your help.

    BIGEYE, May 15, 2004