Asus a7n8x-x win98se ACPI vs APM cpu usage/conflicts

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by LiquidTension, Nov 25, 2004.

  1. Hi. I just did my 1st build (upgrade) . specs
    CPU = AMD XP2700+
    MOTHERBOARD = ASUS A7N8X-X - latest bios ver. 1010
    RAM = 256 kingston ddr 400 PC3200
    HEATSINK = stock @ 41-46 c
    OS = win98se
    POWER SUPPLY = antec 400W
    VIDEO CARD = ati radeon 9600xt
    SOUND CARD = SB LIVEvalue

    If i load win98se normal it loads ACPI mode which in turn gives me 10
    "problem devices" found in msinfo32....all of them being
    "acpi irq holder for pci irq steering" at various reg key:
    HKLM\enum\acpi\*pnpp0c0f\######## positions and my CPU usage pegs at
    high %'s even just sitting idle.... not to mention a messy IRQ list
    and alot of sharing.

    There is nowhere in this bios to totally turn off ACPI mode that i can
    see. So after googling win98se setup switches I ran across 'setup /p
    i" which "tells setup not to report the existance of a plug and play
    bios. useful on computers that have a PNP bios that is not reported in
    the machine.inf file."

    This loads win98se in standard APM mode (which is what i want) but,
    running those switches "setup /p i" has caused my floppy controller
    not to be loaded and floppy "drive a:using ms-dos compatibilty mode"
    it seems the system is slight bit sluggish on boot with this condition
    (running on virtual mem.). i dont really use my floppy at all, only
    when reformating, but ......... i really dont want a device on virtual
    memory as it slows down boot creating that part of the "system"

    i can add new hardware wizard and choose a floppy controller but it
    does not "mount" a Generic NEC floppy drive in device manager>disk
    drives and keeps my floppy drive a:using ms-dos compatibilty
    mode...furthermore it blue screens me if i remove the newly added
    floppy controller....kinda makes sense, BOSD removing a part of my
    "virtual memory" .

    all i want is ACPI off & APM on, when setup is ran....any clues?
    is it possible to remove ACPI somehow and revert to APM power mode?

    LiquidTension, Nov 25, 2004

  2. LiquidTension

    Thor Guest

    "LiquidTension" <> wrote in message
    > Hi. I just did my 1st build (upgrade) . specs
    > CPU = AMD XP2700+
    > MOTHERBOARD = ASUS A7N8X-X - latest bios ver. 1010
    > RAM = 256 kingston ddr 400 PC3200
    > HEATSINK = stock @ 41-46 c
    > OS = win98se
    > POWER SUPPLY = antec 400W
    > VIDEO CARD = ati radeon 9600xt
    > SOUND CARD = SB LIVEvalue
    >

    > If i load win98se normal it loads ACPI mode which in turn gives me 10
    > "problem devices" found in msinfo32....all of them being
    > "acpi irq holder for pci irq steering" at various reg key:
    > HKLM\enum\acpi\*pnpp0c0f\######## positions and my CPU usage pegs at
    > high %'s even just sitting idle.... not to mention a messy IRQ list
    > and alot of sharing.
    >
    > There is nowhere in this bios to totally turn off ACPI mode that i can
    > see. So after googling win98se setup switches I ran across 'setup /p
    > i" which "tells setup not to report the existance of a plug and play
    > bios. useful on computers that have a PNP bios that is not reported in
    > the machine.inf file."
    >
    > This loads win98se in standard APM mode (which is what i want) but,
    > running those switches "setup /p i" has caused my floppy controller
    > not to be loaded and floppy "drive a:using ms-dos compatibilty mode"
    > it seems the system is slight bit sluggish on boot with this condition
    > (running on virtual mem.). i dont really use my floppy at all, only
    > when reformating, but ......... i really dont want a device on virtual
    > memory as it slows down boot creating that part of the "system"

    Your floppy isn't running on virtual memory. It's merely using a
    compatibility-mode 16-bit driver, which does hamper it's performance some,
    but shouldn't really cause a system-wide slowdown. Perhaps your harddrives
    are also in compatibility mode. That would definitely result in a system
    performance problem.

    > i can add new hardware wizard and choose a floppy controller but it
    > does not "mount" a Generic NEC floppy drive in device manager>disk
    > drives and keeps my floppy drive a:using ms-dos compatibilty
    > mode...furthermore it blue screens me if i remove the newly added
    > floppy controller....kinda makes sense, BOSD removing a part of my
    > "virtual memory" .

    If you don't want the floppy enabled at all see if the BIOS has an option to
    "report no floppy"

    > all i want is ACPI off & APM on, when setup is ran....any clues?

    well, you could see if there is an APM tab in your power options in the
    control panel. If there is, try enabling that. But I'm not really surprised
    you are having this much difficulty in getting the board to work with ACPI
    and Win98, since ACPI wasn't really that mature back in the Win98 days, so
    the support for it isn't as good in that OS. Of course, you might consider
    moving to XP. I would seriously consider that, because it is much more
    amenable to ACPI, and should work considerably better. I use an A7N8X and it
    works flawlessly in XP.

    Thor, Nov 25, 2004

  3. Thanks for the info. i guess i can live with 16 bit floppy. i'll see
    what happens when i turn off in bios.

    LiquidTension, Nov 26, 2004
  4. LiquidTension

    > Thanks for the info. i guess i can live with 16 bit floppy. i'll see
    > what happens when i turn off in bios.

    Just curious, but if you are in the process of upgrading, why not upgrade
    your OS as well?

    Thor, Nov 26, 2004
  5. "Thor" <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > "LiquidTension" <> wrote in message
    > > Thanks for the info. i guess i can live with 16 bit floppy. i'll see
    > > what happens when i turn off in bios.

    > Just curious, but if you are in the process of upgrading, why not upgrade
    > your OS as well?

    just wasnt in the budget. sorry but i like 98. next is probably 2k
    and it'll be outdated when i put it on... lol

    you happy with your board? so far i like it. i got to get another fan
    though ;)

    LiquidTension, Nov 27, 2004
  6. LiquidTension

    > "Thor" <> wrote in message
    >> "LiquidTension" <> wrote in message
    >> > Thanks for the info. i guess i can live with 16 bit floppy. i'll see
    >> > what happens when i turn off in bios.

    >> Just curious, but if you are in the process of upgrading, why not upgrade
    >> your OS as well?

    > just wasnt in the budget. sorry but i like 98. next is probably 2k
    > and it'll be outdated when i put it on... lol

    well 2K is leaps and bounds better than 98.

    > you happy with your board? so far i like it. i got to get another fan
    > though ;)

    very happy with it. Runs like a champ.

    Thor, Nov 27, 2004