asus a7n8x-e deluxe dual lan PROBLEMS

Discussion in 'A+ Certification' started by dru, Jan 14, 2004.

  1. dru

    dru Guest

    hi...i've been experimenting with different things i dont know
    excactly how to set this up but this is what i have done so far

    I Connected the 1st lan port directly to the cable internet box and
    connected the 2nd computer using a crossover cable. But the internet
    didnt work on the 2nd computer, however my first computer's internet
    works.

    I tried changing the ip of the second computer to a static ip instead
    of automatically assinging one and it still didnt fix it.

    I did the network wizard in the windows xp and when it finished, it
    told me to run the network wizard setup with the other pc and if the
    other pc is not windows xp then i have to create a network disk but i
    dont have a floppy drive. Im guessing this is the problem why
    everything is not working.

    FIRST PC (connected directly to the cable modem box) is running on a
    windows 2000 pro
    SECOND PC (connected from its ethernet card to the mobo's lan port
    using a crossover cable) running on a windows xp pro

    If youre comfused and didnt understand a word of what i just said well
    just tell me the steps on how to create a network. note: i do not want
    to buy a router/switch or hub, i just want to get this integrated dual
    lan to work because i paid extra amount of money for this mobo just
    because of its dual lan, i could have gotten a abit nf7 for way
    cheaper.

    so frustrated i wanna kill myself
    THanks very much
    dru, Jan 14, 2004

  2. dru

    Bret Guest

    On 13 Jan 2004 21:50:22 -0800, (dru) wrote:

    >SECOND PC (connected from its ethernet card to the mobo's lan port
    >using a crossover cable) running on a windows xp pro

    Any hidden or obscure reason why you are using a cross over cable?
    Bret, Jan 14, 2004

  3. dru

    hootnholler Guest

    Hi dru,

    I'm by no means an expert networker, but some thoughts that I had...

    First, am I assuming correctly that the new board is running the 2000 OS?
    If it is, I would suggest trying to enable ics or internet connection
    sharing. If the second machine is the dual lan board, ie, a7n8x (nice
    board, btw, want that one myself), use xp's ics and also setup as a dhcp
    server. This way, the 2000 machine will get it's ip address from the first
    machine when started. If you have 2k on the 2 lan board, not sure if you
    can do that, may need 2000 server for that system.

    Just in case, here's some links I have that may help you.

    MS Site-Networking
    http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q234/8/15.asp +
    http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/ics/ics.htm +
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/treeview/default.asp?url=/technet/itsolutions/howto/nethow.asp
    Helpful site for home networking and internet connection sharing
    http://www.homenethelp.com/ http://www.homepcnetwork.com
    http://practicallynetworked.com
    To help keep your network up and running
    http://www.technocopia.com/homenetwork.html/
    Great tutorials for almost anything networking... http://www.homepclan.net/
    http://support.microsoft.com/support/ie/ie5/topics/ics/icsfaq.asp
    Home + Small Office Networking
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/using/howto/networking/homenet/default.asp
    All networking questions answered here... http://www.helmig.com

    Hopefully you can dig some info from those. Let us know how it goes.

    Hoot

    hootnholler, Jan 14, 2004
  4. dru

    David Hough Guest

    Another option: run static ip 192.168.0.x x being 1 and 2 respectfully
    on the two pc's. A subnet mask 255.255.255.0 A gateway with the ip
    numbers given you by your isp. DNS server being the name of your isp.
    At this point try to ping each pc from the other and try to ping the isp
    from each pc. I don't know how much extra you paid for this board, but
    routers are a about $40 and can save you a lot of aggravation.
    David Hough, Jan 14, 2004
  5. dru

    John Loop Guest

    dru,
    I sure hope you have a firewall or something on that 2000. If not you are
    already in deep doodoo.
    Here is another site that might help with the networking and safe computing.
    www.pccitizen.com Safe Computing, Home wired and wireless networking tips.

    John Loop, Jan 14, 2004