ASUS 8*N-E

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by John [MSFT], May 19, 2006.

  1. John [MSFT]

    John [MSFT] Guest

    Hi all:

    I have an x64 machine built on an ASUS A8N-E mobo and AMD Athlon 3200 64-bit
    proc. For some reason the machine will start fine, run for a while, and then
    stop responding completely, only recoverable by a reset or power cycle. I do
    not see anything in the Event logs and I am at a loss as to what could be
    happening. The only thing I can think of is that perhaps some of our updates
    for the OS are conflicting with the MOBO drivers, but I cannot keep the
    thing running long enough to flash the BIOS!

    Has anyone else seen these issues with this MOBO?

    Thanks.

    --
    John [MSFT]

    Use of any included script or code samples are subject to the terms
    specified at
    John [MSFT], May 19, 2006

  2. "John [MSFT]" <> wrote in message
    > Hi all:
    >
    > I have an x64 machine built on an ASUS A8N-E mobo and AMD Athlon 3200

    64-bit
    > proc. For some reason the machine will start fine, run for a while, and

    then
    > stop responding completely, only recoverable by a reset or power cycle. I

    do
    > not see anything in the Event logs and I am at a loss as to what could be
    > happening. The only thing I can think of is that perhaps some of our

    updates
    > for the OS are conflicting with the MOBO drivers, but I cannot keep the
    > thing running long enough to flash the BIOS!

    You can flash the BIOS from a DOS floppy disk on many motherboards, check to
    see if that'll work for you.

    > Has anyone else seen these issues with this MOBO?

    I don't think your problems are related to that particular board (but that's
    only a guess), try starting in safe mode and see if it will freeze after
    awhile...
    David R. Norton MVP Shell/User, May 19, 2006

  3. the usual troubleshooting steps. test your memory thoroughly. disable any
    overclocking. remove any un-needed devices, especially USB. verify cables
    are seated correctly. run the ASUS PCProbe to identify thermal problems.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, May 19, 2006
  4. John [MSFT]

    John [MSFT] Guest

    Did all that. There are no devices attached to this %#$# thing. Cables are
    fine. Strangest thing is this jsut strated recently...

    John [MSFT], May 19, 2006
  5. John:

    I've been using the same mother board with 2 4400x2 towers
    without any concerns. I agree with Charlie fully about using Asus-probe.
    Also don't overlook the power supply or ram.

    Dennis Pack x64, IE7B2, May 19, 2006
  6. Yeah, I was about to mention that.
    Borrow, buy (or steal) spare ram memory sticks and a trusty power supply.
    Sounds like a hardware issue to me.
    Carlos

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=, May 19, 2006
  7. John [MSFT]

    Tom Ferguson Guest

    Mine is working OK with all available upgrades with XP Pro SP2, XP Pro
    64, and the latest 32 and 64 bit Vista builds. It has the latest BIOS
    (now at 1013).

    Possibly overheating chipset but that problem usually takes a few minutes
    to crash the system. (I had an overheating problem with my A8V-E. That
    took 20-30 minutes to crash it. The chipset fan failed-there was a recall
    on it.) Take off the case side panel, make sure there is
    as-free-as-possible air flow in the case given all the cables, &c. Try
    running for a while with the case open to see if that has any influence
    on the timing.

    If driver conflict, I would expect the system to simply crash and fail to
    start in regular mode while possibly starting and running OK in safe
    mode. Regardless, do a repair install and try it.

    All that said, let me add that I am no expert in hardware and have been
    shown more often unknowledgeable than learned.

    Tom
    MSMVP
    Windows Shell/User

    "John [MSFT]" <> wrote in message
    : Hi all:
    :
    : I have an x64 machine built on an ASUS A8N-E mobo and AMD Athlon 3200
    64-bit
    : proc. For some reason the machine will start fine, run for a while, and
    then
    : stop responding completely, only recoverable by a reset or power cycle.
    I do
    : not see anything in the Event logs and I am at a loss as to what could
    be
    : happening. The only thing I can think of is that perhaps some of our
    updates
    : for the OS are conflicting with the MOBO drivers, but I cannot keep the
    : thing running long enough to flash the BIOS!
    :
    : Has anyone else seen these issues with this MOBO?
    :
    : Thanks.
    :
    : --
    : John [MSFT]
    :
    : This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
    rights.
    Tom Ferguson, May 20, 2006
  8. Two suggestions:

    1. I recently had occasion to learn (not with an ASUS product though) that
    if you're doing BIOS flashing then you should only have one stick of RAM on
    board at the time. You want to test that configuration with that RAM stick
    before doing the flashing. Ordinarily additional RAM sticks are good, but
    in this situation they're just additional possible points of failure.

    2. Although I really like the way ASUS's utilities run under x64, it might
    still be safer to install a 32-bit OS onto a small disk drive and do the
    flashing under that environment.

    Norman Diamond, May 22, 2006
  9. John [MSFT]

    John Barnes Guest

    I agree it sounds like hardware and motherboards do fail. I am on the third
    chipset fan on mine in 18 months. Wish the premium version had been
    available when I bought mine.

    John Barnes, May 22, 2006
  10. John [MSFT]

    John [MSFT] Guest

    Hi all:

    Thanks for the all the responses. One of you was kind enough to point me to
    the nVidia installer v6.69, and I *finally* saw the prompt for the firewall.
    I guess maybe my original CD was defective or something. However in an
    interesting development I also tried to take a screenshot of the install
    window, and the machine did its lockup thing. That's *after* I ran Memtest
    all night and had no errors reported. I guess my next step is to start
    taking out the RAM sticks and test them one at a time, and also test the RAM
    in another MOBO..this HW stuff is *no* fun!

    If anyone ahs any other suggestions please let me know.

    John [MSFT], May 22, 2006
  11. John [MSFT]

    Rick Guest

    If Memtest ran all night and did not report any errors, then it is my
    opinion you are wasting time checking them in another board one at a
    time. If they did not have any errors together, then there is about a
    99.99% chance they will not have errors when tested separately.

    Rick, May 22, 2006
  12. John:
    Additionally I would check the BIOS settings.
    Try setting them to their "default" or "safe" values.
    Also disable the "S.M.A.R.T" for hard disks.
    Provoked sudden reboots on one PC I had some time ago.
    Carlos

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=, May 22, 2006
  13. Although I agree about testing separately, I do not with regards to the
    duration. It would be a long night to even run through the whole complex of
    tests once. Memory can fail for a number of reasons, if it is a random
    error, a full week of continuous tests might not reveal that error. One
    strategy I would favour, though, would be to shift the 'sticks' over in
    their sockets and running the test again. That would raise the chances of
    getting nearly as valuable an indication as a full week of testing.

    Had the PC's memory been 'bit' adressable it would probably have been almost
    trivial to test for errors - as it is, a random error may happen once and
    never again, as I understand it. If you cannot provoke it within a resonable
    period of time we have to accept that it is O.K. but if you have enough
    suspicion to start testing in the first place, you will want to be resonably
    certain that it will not be easily provoked.

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, May 23, 2006
  14. I do not think so. If you use default settings which conform to certain
    standards (i.e. do not do overclocking etc.) then there could very well be a
    difference. For example with a motherboard capable of 4 x 1 GB PC3200 and 4
    sticks of 1 GB PC3200 CL3:
    4 sticks run at 333MHz CL2.5 T2 dual.
    3 sticks run at 333MHz CL2.5 T2 single.
    2 sticks run at 400MHz CL3 T1 dual.
    1 stick runs at 400MHz CL3 T1 single.

    I had 1 stick deteriorate. With 4 sticks the thing would boot and Windows
    would start running, but after several minutes it would start misbehaving.
    With 2 sticks including the bad one, depending on how they were positioned,
    the thing would either fail to POST or it would POST but Windows would BSOD
    during boot. Then I narrowed it down to the bad 1. It would have been
    easier to just test 1 at a time, but I didn't test it that way first because
    I didn't believe the problem was RAM. Previously I'd never had a RAM stick
    deteriorate that way while being in use, after being good initially.
    Previously I'd only seen that kind of failure mode in things like hard
    drives and monitors.

    Of course I wouldn't be surprised if overclockers could damage RAM that way,
    but I don't do overclocking. I know just enough about hardware to report
    things like the above. I'm a software person and used that amount of RAM
    for virtual machines.

    Norman Diamond, May 23, 2006
  15. John [MSFT]

    John [MSFT] Guest

    Hi all:

    Thanks again for all the responses. After tons of testing I managed to
    determine that trying to do an <alt> prntscn and pasting into Paint resulted
    in a lockup every time, so I started testing the RAM. What I found is that
    since I had built this machine on a budget and with some parts left over
    from other projects, the RAM was somewhat mis-matched, PC 2700, PC 3200, PC
    2100 and so while each stick tested fine on its own, when I put all 4 in the
    machine failed. I ended up taking out the PC 2100 and the machine ahs been
    running fine for the last 17 hours, so we'll see what happens.

    I always thought that mismatched RAM would clock down to the lowest common
    denominator. I guess the quick fix here is to spend the $$ and get some
    decent RAM! Note that this is only a lab server and that's why I tried to
    get away with re-using some parts.

    John [MSFT], May 23, 2006
  16. Not at all unlikely, that you found the culprit. I think you are right about
    the RAM scaling bit, most modern chipsets probably would do that, but the
    fact that your setup spans three different speeds may be a confusing factor,
    and then there may still be the odd chip around that will not tolerate it at
    all?

    Until you get that new RAM, just for fun, you might check your BIOS and see
    if you can set it manually to something that it will swallow, although you
    might not like the result?

    Tony. . .
    Tony Sperling, May 23, 2006
  17. John [MSFT]

    Rick Guest

    Mismatched RAM is definitely not recommended by any of the board
    manufacturers, and especially with dual channel. All the references I
    have read recommend the RAM be all the same size, speed, timing, and
    manufacturer. This has gotten more critical with higher speed front
    side buses.

    Rick, May 23, 2006
  18. > Hi all:

    > I have an x64 machine built on an ASUS A8N-E mobo and AMD Athlon 3200
    > 64-bit proc. For some reason the machine will start fine, run for a while,
    > and then stop responding completely, only recoverable by a reset or power
    > cycle. I do not see anything in the Event logs and I am at a loss as to
    > what could be happening. The only thing I can think of is that perhaps
    > some of our updates for the OS are conflicting with the MOBO drivers, but
    > I cannot keep the thing running long enough to flash the BIOS!
    >
    > Has anyone else seen these issues with this MOBO?

    I used to have the exact same board and CPU, and had a plethora of random
    BSODs. I must've reinstalled the OS 3 times within a month, until I stopped
    installing Nvidia's IDE driver each time. Then the problems went away...
    Homer J. Simpson, May 23, 2006
  19. John [MSFT]

    Mercury Guest

    No problems whatsoever with a8N-e, PR3500+, 2GB RAM, WIN XP32 & 64 & MCE in
    a multi boot onfig running 24 hours now for a few months without any outages
    at all.

    Whatever you do, *never* flash a bios without good reason and when the
    system is not in a proven stable state.

    For this reason, use the DOS or Boot / Flash methods. Using any Windows
    run-time flash utilities is just inviting trouble. The general concensus on
    using the Windows based flash utillities is to *not* use them - regardless
    of mobo manufacture - the only time you might be able to say it is OK is
    when you have a 100% stable system, so why are you flashing the BIOS?

    Check PSU loadings and voltages per supply line amperage per supply line,
    CPU Thermal grease, all connectors for correct seating and the other
    comments others have made. Try stripping the system to a minimum. A failure
    after so many seconds tends to indicate heat.

    Don't forget Prime95 by www.mersenne.org for their torture test and
    memtest86 / memtest86+.

    Please post back - hardware is fun :)

    - Tim

    Mercury, May 25, 2006
  20. John [MSFT]

    John [MSFT] Guest

    Hi all:

    Just got back from a 3-day trip to Lovely Quebec City, and the machine is
    running fine and has been for 5 days now. This was all my own fault for
    trying to be cheap and re-use memory....:)

    Thanks to everyone who posted tips and suggestions.

    John.

    John [MSFT], May 26, 2006