asus 6000ev router

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by -{-astrae-}-, Aug 24, 2003.

  1. -{-astrae-}-

    -{-astrae-}- Guest

    Hi

    I'm using this router at home and last night I noticed I had had 3000+ hits
    on my web server within a few hours. (root http) This is very strange as it
    gets very little use and there is only an under construction page there
    (besides my webmail). These hits are coming in from places like hungry,
    malaysia, finland, mexico, brazil, Lithuania, poland...

    I did an external port scan and ports 25,53,80,110,139,443 were open on my
    router. I have only opened up 25, 80 & 443 which point at my server. I
    reset the router and scanned again and only the 3 ports I use are open now.

    I did a quick search of the net and found a few people that had encounted
    the same thing with ports opening by themselves. The messages were from a
    few years ago and they were using firmware that has been updated at least 4
    times since then.

    Has anyone had this happen to them with this router? A friend of mine has
    the same router and occasionally 110 (pop3) is open but doesn't point to
    anything.

    Also why am I getting all these strange hits all of a sudden from all over
    the world??

    Any help would be much appreciated.
    -{-astrae-}-, Aug 24, 2003

  2. -{-astrae-}-

    Gavin Tunney Guest

    On Sun, 24 Aug 2003 18:50:39 +1200, "-{-astrae-}-"
    <> wrote:

    >Hi
    >
    >I'm using this router at home and last night I noticed I had had 3000+ hits
    >on my web server within a few hours. (root http) This is very strange as it
    >gets very little use and there is only an under construction page there
    >(besides my webmail). These hits are coming in from places like hungry,
    >malaysia, finland, mexico, brazil, Lithuania, poland...
    >
    >I did an external port scan and ports 25,53,80,110,139,443 were open on my
    >router. I have only opened up 25, 80 & 443 which point at my server. I
    >reset the router and scanned again and only the 3 ports I use are open now.
    >
    >I did a quick search of the net and found a few people that had encounted
    >the same thing with ports opening by themselves. The messages were from a
    >few years ago and they were using firmware that has been updated at least 4
    >times since then.
    >
    >Has anyone had this happen to them with this router? A friend of mine has
    >the same router and occasionally 110 (pop3) is open but doesn't point to
    >anything.
    >
    >Also why am I getting all these strange hits all of a sudden from all over
    >the world??
    >

    >Any help would be much appreciated.

    Without knowing more I'd say you probably left your router with the
    default password, or a very weak one, and remote admin enabled......?

    It's easy enough for anyone to hack into a router & pinhole it if you
    don't change the admin password.....

    Gavin
    Gavin Tunney, Aug 24, 2003