    noise.

    Thanks!
    , Jul 1, 2008

  2. John Guest

    wrote:
    > I need help with astrophotography software options. I'm using Keith's
    > Image Stacker on a Mac (MacBook Pro, OS X 10.5). I'm not an
    > astrophotographer - I'm helping a friend with his photos. I'm looking
    > for a forum where I can post questions about astrophotography software
    > - how to stack, how to subtract a dark frame, etc. The problem is
    > that most of the tutorials are about using the software for imaging
    > planets and that's not what I'm trying to do. I need to stack the
    > images to bring out the faintest stars possible, while minimizing
    > noise.
    >
    > Thanks!

    And you did Google for this, right?

    John.
    John, Jul 1, 2008

  3. JC Dill Guest

    John wrote:
    > wrote:
    >> I need help with astrophotography software options. I'm using Keith's
    >> Image Stacker on a Mac (MacBook Pro, OS X 10.5). I'm not an
    >> astrophotographer - I'm helping a friend with his photos. I'm looking
    >> for a forum where I can post questions about astrophotography software
    >> - how to stack, how to subtract a dark frame, etc. The problem is
    >> that most of the tutorials are about using the software for imaging
    >> planets and that's not what I'm trying to do. I need to stack the
    >> images to bring out the faintest stars possible, while minimizing
    >> noise.
    >>
    >> Thanks!

    > And you did Google for this, right?

    Yes, I did - to no avail. I found the occasional post about
    astrophotography on random photography forums, but no forum JUST for
    astrophotography. My problems and questions are pretty specific and
    it's likely if I posted my question on a general photography forum I'd
    get a bunch of answers from people who have no more expertise than I do,
    wasting their time (and mine) suggesting things that have nothing to
    do with the problems I have. That's why I'm looking for a forum where
    people who have expertise in this type of photography regularly discuss
    their techniques.

    Were you able to find this answer with Google, and if so can you share it?
    JC Dill, Jul 1, 2008
  4. JC Dill Guest

    thepixelfreak wrote:
    > On 2008-07-01 11:13:40 -0700, said:
    >
    >> I need help with astrophotography software options. I'm using Keith's
    >> Image Stacker on a Mac (MacBook Pro, OS X 10.5). I'm not an
    >> astrophotographer - I'm helping a friend with his photos. I'm looking
    >> for a forum where I can post questions about astrophotography software
    >> - how to stack, how to subtract a dark frame, etc. The problem is
    >> that most of the tutorials are about using the software for imaging
    >> planets and that's not what I'm trying to do. I need to stack the
    >> images to bring out the faintest stars possible, while minimizing
    >> noise.
    >>
    >> Thanks!

    > try alt.binaries.pictures.astro, post your message with the subject
    > header ASTRO: as they have a very low tolerance for SPAM and may not
    > read the message if it doesn't start with ASTRO:
    >
    > Very high signal to noise ratio in that group, not to mention killer
    > photos of astronomical objects.

    I don't have access to binary groups. Would you mind resposting or
    crossposting my query and mentioning that I would love emailed replies?

    Thanks!

    jc
    JC Dill, Jul 1, 2008
  5. Robert Barr Guest

    http://www.starrynightphotos.com/
    Robert Barr, Jul 2, 2008
  6. Robert Barr Guest

    Robert Barr, Jul 2, 2008
  7. Craig Guest

    On Tue, 1 Jul 2008 11:13:40 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

    > I need help with astrophotography software options. I'm using Keith's
    > Image Stacker on a Mac (MacBook Pro, OS X 10.5). I'm not an
    > astrophotographer - I'm helping a friend with his photos. I'm looking
    > for a forum where I can post questions about astrophotography software
    > - how to stack, how to subtract a dark frame, etc. The problem is
    > that most of the tutorials are about using the software for imaging
    > planets and that's not what I'm trying to do. I need to stack the
    > images to bring out the faintest stars possible, while minimizing
    > noise.
    >
    > Thanks!

    Check Groups.yahoo.com for groups on astrophotography and Keith's image
    stacker. I'm sure you'll find a lot them.
    Craig, Jul 9, 2008