    not interested in PSTN lines, just pure IP ones).

    Advice appricated.
    Thanks.
    T., Jul 1, 2005

  2. T.

    Ian Guest

    "T." <> wrote in message
    news:42c56b26$0$24052$...
    > I didn't realise there was an "easy" out-of-the-box type thing available
    > for Asterisk.
    >
    > If I was to download this and attempt to get it working, does that mean
    > I can have multiple VoIP service providers into the server, with only
    > one ATA receiving all the incoming calls?
    >
    > I assume for outgoing calls it's upto me to configure Asterisk.
    >
    > My idea is to basically try out various service providers, while at the
    > same time learn more about VoIP and Asterisk.
    >
    > I take it a standard PC will do with no additonal hardware cards (I'm
    > not interested in PSTN lines, just pure IP ones).
    >
    > Advice appricated.
    > Thanks.

    Yes.

    But to learn about *, you should realy download the original version then
    apply patchs as required and learn about the conf files. That way you will
    get an understanding of how it fits together and a understanding of linux as
    well.

    Ian
    Ian, Jul 1, 2005

  3. T.

    T. Guest

    Ian wrote:
    > "T." <> wrote in message
    >
    >>I didn't realise there was an "easy" out-of-the-box type thing available
    >>for Asterisk.
    >>
    >>If I was to download this and attempt to get it working, does that mean
    >>I can have multiple VoIP service providers into the server, with only
    >>one ATA receiving all the incoming calls?
    >>
    >>I assume for outgoing calls it's upto me to configure Asterisk.
    >>
    >>My idea is to basically try out various service providers, while at the
    >>same time learn more about VoIP and Asterisk.
    >>
    >>I take it a standard PC will do with no additonal hardware cards (I'm
    >>not interested in PSTN lines, just pure IP ones).
    >>
    >>Advice appricated.
    >>Thanks.

    > Yes.

    Thanks for your reply.
    T., Jul 1, 2005
  4. On Fri, 01 Jul 2005 17:23:00 +0100, "T." <>
    wrote:

    >My idea is to basically try out various service providers, while at the
    >same time learn more about VoIP and Asterisk.
    >
    >I take it a standard PC will do with no additonal hardware cards (I'm
    >not interested in PSTN lines, just pure IP ones).

    I'm doing something similar. asterisk@home would load on the PC so I
    installed SuSE Linux then "proper" Asterisk.

    I have the PC working, asterisk runs and I can ssh into it from home
    and from my mobile phone. Now I'm reading an asterisk book and waiting
    for an ATA to arrive.

    Phil
    --
    spamcop.net address commissioned 18/06/04
    Come on down !
    Phil Thompson, Jul 1, 2005
  5. T.

    Guest

    On Fri, 01 Jul 2005 22:41:15 +0100, Phil Thompson
    <> wrote:

    >I have the PC working, asterisk runs and I can ssh into it from home
    >and from my mobile phone. Now I'm reading an asterisk book and waiting
    >for an ATA to arrive.

    Oh dear Phil Linux is a backward step Windows XP 64 bit is the way
    forward !! :))) .
    , Jul 2, 2005
  6. T.

    Martin² Guest

    T.:
    >My idea is to basically try out various service providers, while at the
    >same time learn more about VoIP and Asterisk.

    You can try variety of VoIP providers with Xten Lite.
    Regards,
    Martin
    Martin², Jul 2, 2005
  7. wrote:

    > On Fri, 01 Jul 2005 22:41:15 +0100, Phil Thompson
    > <> wrote:
    >

    >>I have the PC working, asterisk runs and I can ssh into it from home
    >>and from my mobile phone. Now I'm reading an asterisk book and waiting
    >>for an ATA to arrive.

    > Oh dear Phil Linux is a backward step Windows XP 64 bit is the way
    > forward !! :))) .

    Do Microsoft have anything that is 64bit yet?
    --
    Dave Clarke
    David Wilson Clarke, Jul 2, 2005
  8. T.

    Guest

    On Sat, 02 Jul 2005 11:04:40 +0100, David Wilson Clarke
    <> wrote:

    > wrote:
    >
    >> On Fri, 01 Jul 2005 22:41:15 +0100, Phil Thompson
    >> <> wrote:
    >>

    >>>I have the PC working, asterisk runs and I can ssh into it from home
    >>>and from my mobile phone. Now I'm reading an asterisk book and waiting
    >>>for an ATA to arrive.

    >> Oh dear Phil Linux is a backward step Windows XP 64 bit is the way
    >> forward !! :))) .

    >Do Microsoft have anything that is 64bit yet?

    Windows XP ! I am using a trial copy now and plan to buy it when it
    goes on general sale at the end of the month not only that 32 bit XP
    and other 32 bit software runs faster on a 64 bit machine .My 64 bit
    processor and Mobo are one of the better buys of computer hardware I
    have made in a long time in fact I am more impressed than I thought I
    would have been .
    , Jul 2, 2005
  9. T.

    Ian Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 02 Jul 2005 11:04:40 +0100, David Wilson Clarke
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > > wrote:

    > >> Oh dear Phil Linux is a backward step Windows XP 64 bit is the way
    > >> forward !! :))) .

    > >Do Microsoft have anything that is 64bit yet?

    > Windows XP ! I am using a trial copy now and plan to buy it when it
    > goes on general sale at the end of the month

    Ah well, Bill is playing catch up again. 64bit OSs including linux have been
    around for some while now. Incuding 64bit cluster versions.

    Ian
    Ian, Jul 2, 2005
  10. wrote:

    > On Sat, 02 Jul 2005 11:04:40 +0100, David Wilson Clarke
    > <> wrote:
    >

    >>Do Microsoft have anything that is 64bit yet?

    > Windows XP ! I am using a trial copy now and plan to buy it when it
    > goes on general sale at the end of the month not only that 32 bit XP
    > and other 32 bit software runs faster on a 64 bit machine .My 64 bit
    > processor and Mobo are one of the better buys of computer hardware I
    > have made in a long time in fact I am more impressed than I thought I
    > would have been .

    I know they have stuff that runs on 64 bit, but I thought it used 32 bit
    emulation to run.
    --
    Dave Clarke
    David Wilson Clarke, Jul 2, 2005
  11. On Sat, 02 Jul 2005 11:04:40 +0100, David Wilson Clarke
    <> wrote:

    >> Oh dear Phil Linux is a backward step Windows XP 64 bit is the way
    >> forward !! :))) .

    will it run on a 32 bit Cyrix MII-333 MMX processor ? :)

    Phil
    Phil Thompson, Jul 2, 2005
  12. >>I didn't realise there was an "easy" out-of-the-box type
    >>thing available for Asterisk.

    'easy' is not the word i would use to describe AAH

    I have been staying up till all hours for the last week trying to get AAH to
    work and my pstn fxo card hasnt even arrived from ebay yet.
    dojodirectory.co.uk, Jul 2, 2005