    from Asterix if I can use it (Asterix) with a VOIP provider.

    Thanks,

    Joe
    Joe, Jul 10, 2005

  2. Joe

    Miguel Cruz Guest

    Joe <> wrote:
    > Can I use Asterix to provide analog telephone service to multiple phones
    > in my home if I drop all POTS service and sign up with Lingo or Vonage?
    > I see on Lingo's site that they require their own specific routers for
    > their customers. Does that mean the "analog line" coming from there is
    > incompatible with Asterix?

    Sometimes you can get lousy results with multiple conversions between
    digital and analog, especially when the phone call has been through a
    high-compression codec like Lingo is likely to use. For instance, sometimes
    I find that VoIP calls to/from digital cell phones are quite bad quality.

    miguel
    Miguel Cruz, Jul 10, 2005

  3. Joe

    Joe Guest

    Miguel Cruz wrote:
    > Joe <> wrote:
    >
    >>Can I use Asterix to provide analog telephone service to multiple phones
    >>in my home if I drop all POTS service and sign up with Lingo or Vonage?
    >>I see on Lingo's site that they require their own specific routers for
    >>their customers. Does that mean the "analog line" coming from there is
    >>incompatible with Asterix?

    > Sometimes you can get lousy results with multiple conversions between
    > digital and analog, especially when the phone call has been through a
    > high-compression codec like Lingo is likely to use. For instance, sometimes
    > I find that VoIP calls to/from digital cell phones are quite bad quality.
    >
    > miguel

    Is it possible to do anything to improve the quality? It's not like
    boosting the signal on tv connections, but maybe there are different
    algorithms that preserve higher quality? How much, if any, of that would
    be under my control?

    Thanks,

    Joe
    Joe, Jul 10, 2005
  4. >Can I use Asterix to provide analog telephone service to multiple phones
    >in my home if I drop all POTS service and sign up with Lingo or Vonage?

    Vonage and Lingo both want you to use their own equipment. Some other
    VoIP providers don't. Broadvoice specifically supports Asterisk and
    provides config instructions, iconnecthere and voicepulse say it's OK.
    John R. Levine, Jul 11, 2005
  5. Joe

    /dev/null/ Guest

    Alright, for the real question. Has anyone with Lingo service and the
    D-Link ATA been able to unlock their unit? I've seen numerous postings
    regarding unlocking the D-Link but I want to get some people's first
    hand experience whether or not it can be done?

    I see Fry's has them for 50 bux (not including rebate).
    /dev/null/, Jul 17, 2005
  6. Joe

    John S. Guest

    "/dev/null/" <> wrote in message
    > Alright, for the real question. Has anyone with Lingo service and the
    > D-Link ATA been able to unlock their unit? I've seen numerous postings
    > regarding unlocking the D-Link but I want to get some people's first
    > hand experience whether or not it can be done?
    >
    > I see Fry's has them for 50 bux (not including rebate).

    Locked? What kind of lock? It has to be keyboard programable to set it up
    for the service.
    John S., Jul 18, 2005
  7. Joe

    /dev/null/ Guest

    Never mind. They work great once you unplug your network and
    reconfigure/reflash the firmware. Only took 4 hours to get it to talk
    to asterisk.
    /dev/null/, Jul 19, 2005