    clients do you find work best?

    Thanks!
    Chip
    Chip G, Aug 5, 2003

  2. Chip G

    John Sutter Guest

    Are you using a good USB headset? That will make a huge difference.
    I picked up a Plantronics DSP500 for about US$55 that has been pretty good.

    - jds

    John Sutter, Aug 6, 2003

  3. Chip G

    Chip G Guest

    I am using a Plantronics DSP headset and it has been great for all other
    purposes! Thanks for the comment though.

    Chip G, Aug 7, 2003
  4. Chip G

    Brian Jones Guest

    What version of X-Ten are you guys running? I noticed the newest
    version isn't that great... or maybe it's something with my setup. I'm
    sure the older version ran much better.

    Brian.

    Brian Jones, Aug 7, 2003
  5. Chip G

    shido Guest

    Whenever you use any kind of softphone you are at the mercy of your sound
    card, microphone, and processing power.

    1.) Get a decent soundcard
    2.) Get a noise cancelling microphone
    3.) Or buy an IP Phone so when your windows box dies you dont have to loose
    your conversation.

    -Greg

    shido, Aug 7, 2003
  6. Chip G

    Chip G Guest

    Thank you for the comments Shido. In this case, I believe my equipment is up
    to the task. I actually use Avaya IP Softphone for my business use with the
    DSP headset they OEM. The quality has been great. I am playing around with
    Asterisk because I think it has great potential but cannot seem to get the
    quality up to standard.

    There are so many people talking about it that I figure it has to be at
    least reasonably decent (and I definitely can't beat the price!) but I have
    not had success in getting this combination of client and server to work
    well together. For this trial, I am using the same PC and headset with the
    free X-ten client. It seems to be pretty nice as far as the interface goes
    but the sound quality with my configuration of network, server, and client
    is just not working. I know it has to be something I am doing wrong but I
    just can't seem to locate the trouble.

    One person suggested using only G.711 (which I prefer not to do). I tried it
    though to see if it made a difference... no noticable consistent
    improvement. Any other ideas?

    Chip G, Aug 7, 2003
  7. Chip G

    shido Guest

    It seems you are in search for someone using Asterisk in a production
    environment to assist. Feel free to send me a message via instant messenger
    / IM :

    -Greg

    shido, Aug 8, 2003
  8. Chip G

    SG Guest

    Although there's no other traffic, your problem could be the fact that
    you're network is a collision domain. In RTP/UDP (the embodiment of voice
    in VOIP), collisions=lost frames=lost packets=lost voice information. Half
    duplex links frequently cause voice quality issues which manifest as clicks
    and clipping. Collisions10Mb transfer rates should be fine as long as it's
    switched and full-duplex.

    "Chip G" <> wrote in message
    > I am playing around with Asterisk PBX running on Red Hat Linux and X-ten
    > clients running on Windows 2K. There is no other traffic on my network and
    > the three machines (2 x-ten, 1 Asterisk) are connected via 10Base-T hub.

    TheYour

    SG, Sep 5, 2003
  9. Chip G

    Pete Harris Guest

    Unfortunately, you didn't say enough about your "terrible sound
    quality." Yes, you need to have good audio domain stuff, like USB
    handset/headsets, or at least a full duplex sound card with a
    handset/headset (not speakers).

    But if your problem is choppy audio, then "SG" might have the answer.
    In my experience half duplex Ethernet can lead to problems. 10mb vs
    100mb is not really as big an issue. But 4 port Ethernet switches are
    really cheap, so just try one if your problem is choppy audio. Also,
    you might need to upgrade any of your Ethernet cards which are half
    duplex. These are also very cheap.

    Of course, there are other sorts of audio problems, like raspiness
    from too much compression, so maybe you should just ask your question
    again with more details.

    - Pete

    Pete Harris, Sep 6, 2003