Asterisk vonage voicepulse pstn provider question

Discussion in 'VOIP' started by Jason, Feb 23, 2004.

  1. Jason

    Jason Guest

    I have set up asterisk and got it running for my business. I am now
    trying to get it working as a test environment before I drop our
    business phone numbers.

    I need to do a few things...

    -point a toll-free 866 number at the new VOIP phone number (ideally
    from the same carrier as the VOIP service provider)
    -receive incoming calls
    -have people vpn into network and register with asterisk to a)call out
    on VOIP service or b) call people working at the office

    I have been looking at several carriers but what I have found is that
    there are two major carriers.

    vonage and voicepulse

    Vonage has some crazy legal terms and does not support iax. They use
    sip.. also they require that you use their analog to digital voice
    converter thingy..

    Voicepulse supports iax but does not have any numbers in my area.
    (boo).. that is ok because i want everyone to use the toll number
    (which they do not offer as a service (boo)

    Still Voicepulse seems like the best choice. But I need to get a toll
    free number from some other online provider...?

    Please.. any advice would be greatly appreciated.

    Jason Mahon

    Jason, Feb 23, 2004

  2. Have you looked at nufone.net. They also provider numbers in iax. Several
    companies also terminate to SIP numbers. SIP on * is more tempermental than
    IAX, but it might be an alternative.

    Stu

    Stuart Friedman, Feb 24, 2004