Asterisk VoIP

Discussion in 'VOIP' started by Jacobo Jajati, Jul 14, 2003.

  1. Hello All

    Im posting this question needing real info on the asterisk VoIP PBX.

    Before i post the questions i woudl like to inform that my company is
    based in mexcio and that we are a 3com Silver Partner (only 37 of us
    in mexico) and have installed 40 NBX system with around 1000 phones in
    the last 10 months so we are prity familiar vith VoIP, its
    implementation does and donts. So here go the questions

    1.- i would like to know what end user equipment is compatible with
    the asterisk PBX (Please do not informe on cisco IP Phones we can not
    get these in mexico unless cisco lets you once your certified, what
    ever.....)
    2.- i would like to know what hardware is compatible with the PBX on
    the server side (in mexico ISDN is not a public switchable technologie
    so this info is not requiered, also ouir digital interfaces are E1 and
    our analoge interfeces are PSTN loopstart.
    3.- i would like to know whats the real hardware requierments to have
    the PBX running at full blast with 40 users not the asterisk website
    "minimum" requierments

    Im not realy interested in doing to much doing yourselfing, also if
    anybody has real knowledge of the asterisk PBX there is a business
    oportiunity involved

    Thanks

    JJG

    P.S. you you post let me know to im realy
    interested

    Jacobo Jajati, Jul 14, 2003

  2. Jacobo Jajati

    Chaz Guest

    "Jacobo Jajati" <> wrote in message
    > Hello All
    >
    > Im posting this question needing real info on the asterisk VoIP PBX.
    >
    > Before i post the questions i woudl like to inform that my company is
    > based in mexcio and that we are a 3com Silver Partner (only 37 of us
    > in mexico) and have installed 40 NBX system with around 1000 phones in
    > the last 10 months so we are prity familiar vith VoIP, its
    > implementation does and donts. So here go the questions
    >
    > 1.- i would like to know what end user equipment is compatible with
    > the asterisk PBX (Please do not informe on cisco IP Phones we can not
    > get these in mexico unless cisco lets you once your certified, what
    > ever.....)
    > 2.- i would like to know what hardware is compatible with the PBX on
    > the server side (in mexico ISDN is not a public switchable technologie
    > so this info is not requiered, also ouir digital interfaces are E1 and
    > our analoge interfeces are PSTN loopstart.
    > 3.- i would like to know whats the real hardware requierments to have
    > the PBX running at full blast with 40 users not the asterisk website
    > "minimum" requierments
    >
    > Im not realy interested in doing to much doing yourselfing, also if
    > anybody has real knowledge of the asterisk PBX there is a business
    > oportiunity involved
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > JJG
    >
    > P.S. you you post let me know to im realy
    > interested

    I would like to add another small question, does Asterisk support IPv6? I am
    looking to implement ip telephony, but ipv6 is a requirement.

    Regards,

    Chris

    Chaz, Jul 14, 2003

  3. "Jacobo Jajati" <> wrote in message
    >>1.- i would like to know what end user equipment is compatible with
    >>the asterisk PBX (Please do not informe on cisco IP Phones we can not
    >>get these in mexico unless cisco lets you once your certified, what
    >>ever.....)

    We have used SNOM, GrandStream, Pingtel and of course Cisco phones and
    if it doesn't currently work it can be made to work, which is the
    ultimate beauty of open-source.

    I don't understand why Cisco would not want to sell their hardware in
    any specific country...just takes a bunch of peso's :)

    >>2.- i would like to know what hardware is compatible with the PBX on
    >>the server side (in mexico ISDN is not a public switchable technologie
    >>so this info is not requiered, also ouir digital interfaces are E1 and
    >>our analoge interfeces are PSTN loopstart.

    Asterisk can do T-1, E-1, FXO, FXS and E&M signaling types. I have
    personally worked with a couple different customers in Mexico, they
    haven't ever complained, so things must be going well.

    >>3.- i would like to know whats the real hardware requirements to have
    >>the PBX running at full blast with 40 users not the asterisk website
    >>"minimum" requirements

    Asterisk's minimum requirements are simply a pentium based processor.
    Depending on exactly how you make those 40 users happen your
    requirements will drasticly change.

    I've ran 2 T-1's on a 300 mhz machine, but I used a channel bank
    and a PRI from the local crook...er i mean ILEC.

    Now, that same 300mhz machine would only be able to process ~maybe~ 10
    G.729 channels, so the requirements are very specific to the
    application. This is exactly why you do not see any hardware
    requirements listed anywhere.

    >>Im not realy interested in doing to much doing yourselfing, also if
    >>anybody has real knowledge of the asterisk PBX there is a business
    >>oportiunity involved

    You don't have to do anything yourself, if you don't want. There are
    more than a few companies out there doing Asterisk related training,
    support and/or complete hand holding.

    Chaz wrote:
    > I would like to add another small question, does Asterisk support IPv6? I am
    > looking to implement ip telephony, but ipv6 is a requirement.

    It has been a long time since I really thought about the OSI model, but
    I believe the application layer could care less what the underlying
    transport layer is doing. So, I believe Asterisk shouldn't have any
    problem with IPv6. I will look into this further and report back here
    if I find anything different.

    Jeremy McNanmara, President
    The NuFone Network

    Jeremy McNamara, Jul 15, 2003