    digits?

    TIA

    Liam
    telephoneman, Oct 9, 2007

  2. telephoneman

    alexd Guest

    telephoneman wrote:

    > I've set up my trixbox using freepbx. I've allocated the range 5XX for
    > internal extensions. I don't have any local numbers starting with 5 so I
    > would like internal calls to route as soon as the last digit is dialled.
    > At the moment I have to either dial # or wait until the timer decides that
    > it's not going to get any more digits and then routes the call. Is there
    > any way to set the routing table so that it knows that 5 will only be
    > followed by 2 digits?

    What you're describing sounds like a function of the handsets, not Asterisk.
    What type of handsets are you using? How are they connected?

    --
    <http://ale.cx/> (AIM:troffasky) ()
    17:43:22 up 8 days, 19:31, 2 users, load average: 0.24, 0.29, 0.26
    alexd, Oct 9, 2007

  3. In article <>,
    telephoneman <> wrote:
    >I've set up my trixbox using freepbx. I've allocated the range 5XX for
    >internal extensions. I don't have any local numbers starting with 5 so I
    >would like internal calls to route as soon as the last digit is dialled. At
    >the moment I have to either dial # or wait until the timer decides that it's
    >not going to get any more digits and then routes the call. Is there any way
    >to set the routing table so that it knows that 5 will only be followed by 2
    >digits?

    Are you sure it's not your phone that's putting the delay in? A lot
    of them either have a built-in delay, or a separate "send" button...

    Or are you using an ATA with analogue phone, or a TDM card with FXS
    ports, etc.

    More information needed..

    Gordon
    Gordon Henderson, Oct 9, 2007
  4. telephoneman

    Telephoneman Guest

    "Gordon Henderson" <> wrote in message
    > In article <>,
    > telephoneman <> wrote:
    >>I've set up my trixbox using freepbx. I've allocated the range 5XX for
    >>internal extensions. I don't have any local numbers starting with 5 so I
    >>would like internal calls to route as soon as the last digit is dialled.
    >>At
    >>the moment I have to either dial # or wait until the timer decides that
    >>it's
    >>not going to get any more digits and then routes the call. Is there any
    >>way
    >>to set the routing table so that it knows that 5 will only be followed by
    >>2
    >>digits?

    > Are you sure it's not your phone that's putting the delay in? A lot
    > of them either have a built-in delay, or a separate "send" button...
    >
    > Or are you using an ATA with analogue phone, or a TDM card with FXS
    > ports, etc.
    >
    > More information needed..
    >
    > Gordon

    You've probably got a good point, I've got a Starcomm UT1000, where it isn't
    a problem because you "pre-dial" like with a cellphone, a Grandstream BT100
    and a Sipura 841. You can put a dial plan into the Sipura on a "per line"
    basis so it might be possible to sort it there. The BT100 doesn't seem to
    have the facility for a dial plan. My son has X-lite, if you press the green
    button you get dial tone but dialling afterwards doesn't connect at all.
    However if you pre-dial and then press the green button you connect straight
    away.
    Telephoneman, Oct 9, 2007
  5. telephoneman

    alexd Guest

    Telephoneman wrote:

    > You've probably got a good point, I've got a Starcomm UT1000, where it
    > isn't a problem because you "pre-dial" like with a cellphone, a
    > Grandstream BT100 and a Sipura 841. You can put a dial plan into the
    > Sipura on a "per line" basis so it might be possible to sort it there. The
    > BT100 doesn't seem to have the facility for a dial plan. My son has
    > X-lite, if you press the green button you get dial tone but dialling
    > afterwards doesn't connect at all. However if you pre-dial and then press
    > the green button you connect straight away.

    The name of this "feature" is Overlap Dialling, FYI.

    --
    <http://ale.cx/> (AIM:troffasky) ()
    21:02:07 up 8 days, 22:50, 2 users, load average: 0.29, 0.29, 0.18
    alexd, Oct 9, 2007
  6. telephoneman

    Telephoneman Guest

    "alexd" <> wrote in message
    > Telephoneman wrote:
    >
    >> You've probably got a good point, I've got a Starcomm UT1000, where it
    >> isn't a problem because you "pre-dial" like with a cellphone, a
    >> Grandstream BT100 and a Sipura 841. You can put a dial plan into the
    >> Sipura on a "per line" basis so it might be possible to sort it there.
    >> The
    >> BT100 doesn't seem to have the facility for a dial plan. My son has
    >> X-lite, if you press the green button you get dial tone but dialling
    >> afterwards doesn't connect at all. However if you pre-dial and then press
    >> the green button you connect straight away.

    > The name of this "feature" is Overlap Dialling, FYI.

    Well unless definitions have changed in this new IP world I think that
    you're incorrect. Overlap dialling would be where you have a number such as
    01757XXXXXX and the exchange can resolve a routing choice based on the 01757
    and does so even though it hasn't yet received the XXXXXX that it is
    expecting.
    Telephoneman, Oct 9, 2007
  7. telephoneman

    alexd Guest

    Telephoneman wrote:

    > "alexd" <> wrote in message

    >> The name of this "feature" is Overlap Dialling, FYI.
    >>

    > Well unless definitions have changed in this new IP world I think that
    > you're incorrect. Overlap dialling would be where you have a number such
    > as 01757XXXXXX and the exchange can resolve a routing choice based on the
    > 01757 and does so even though it hasn't yet received the XXXXXX that it is
    > expecting.

    Isn't that effectively what you're asking for?

    --
    <http://ale.cx/> (AIM:troffasky) ()
    08:39:32 up 9 days, 10:27, 2 users, load average: 0.06, 0.20, 0.16
    alexd, Oct 10, 2007
  8. In article <>,
    Telephoneman <> wrote:

    >"Gordon Henderson" <> wrote in message
    >> In article <>,
    >> telephoneman <> wrote:
    >>>I've set up my trixbox using freepbx. I've allocated the range 5XX for
    >>>internal extensions. I don't have any local numbers starting with 5 so I
    >>>would like internal calls to route as soon as the last digit is dialled.
    >>>At
    >>>the moment I have to either dial # or wait until the timer decides that
    >>>it's
    >>>not going to get any more digits and then routes the call. Is there any
    >>>way
    >>>to set the routing table so that it knows that 5 will only be followed by
    >>>2
    >>>digits?

    >> Are you sure it's not your phone that's putting the delay in? A lot
    >> of them either have a built-in delay, or a separate "send" button...
    >>
    >> Or are you using an ATA with analogue phone, or a TDM card with FXS
    >> ports, etc.
    >>
    >> More information needed..
    >>
    >> Gordon

    >You've probably got a good point, I've got a Starcomm UT1000, where it isn't
    >a problem because you "pre-dial" like with a cellphone, a Grandstream BT100
    >and a Sipura 841. You can put a dial plan into the Sipura on a "per line"
    >basis so it might be possible to sort it there. The BT100 doesn't seem to
    >have the facility for a dial plan. My son has X-lite, if you press the green
    >button you get dial tone but dialling afterwards doesn't connect at all.
    >However if you pre-dial and then press the green button you connect straight
    >away.

    The UT1000 has a "green" send button, so dial the number, then push
    "send". As does the BT100. However, the BT100 can be put in a mode
    where it will present the number to the PBX each time you push a digit,
    effectively asking "is this a valid number" and if the PBX says no,
    the phone waits for another digit... The default time-out on the BT100
    is 4 seconds.

    These are configurable on the BT100 web interface - to change the
    time-out, look for the "No Key Entry timeout" (it's 4 by default), and
    to make it present the number on each digit, look for the "Early Dial"
    setting which is off by default. (On the advanced settings page)

    I've no idea how the Sipura works, but I've got both UT1000 and BT100
    phones, although I have to say that I'd never use them in anything
    other than a "domestic" setting..

    For the most part, with SIP/Soft phones, you need to think the same way
    as you do with mobiles - dial then numner into the phone, then get the
    phone to present the number to the PBX - usually via a "send" or
    "green button", so dial then send, not the other way round.

    Gordon
    Gordon Henderson, Oct 10, 2007
  9. telephoneman

    Telephoneman Guest

    "Gordon Henderson" <> wrote in message
    SNIP>
    > These are configurable on the BT100 web interface - to change the
    > time-out, look for the "No Key Entry timeout" (it's 4 by default), and
    > to make it present the number on each digit, look for the "Early Dial"
    > setting which is off by default. (On the advanced settings page)

    Thanks. I changed it but the asterisk doesn't seem to support "early dial",
    well at least not in the "off the shelf" Trixbox variant that I've got. I
    don't know enough about asterisk to delve into it so I'll probably leave
    things as they are.

    Liam
    Telephoneman, Oct 10, 2007
  10. telephoneman

    Telephoneman Guest

    "alexd" <> wrote in message
    > Telephoneman wrote:
    >
    >> "alexd" <> wrote in message

    >>> The name of this "feature" is Overlap Dialling, FYI.
    >>>

    >> Well unless definitions have changed in this new IP world I think that
    >> you're incorrect. Overlap dialling would be where you have a number such
    >> as 01757XXXXXX and the exchange can resolve a routing choice based on the
    >> 01757 and does so even though it hasn't yet received the XXXXXX that it
    >> is
    >> expecting.

    > Isn't that effectively what you're asking for?

    No, not really. From the other replies to the post it's a moot point because
    it seems that generally the phone sends all the digits at once, either after
    an elapsed time, a # or by pressing a send button.

    I was assuming that the digits were sent one at a time, in which case I
    wanted to set the switch to recognise that after it saw a 5 it should expect
    2 more digits then route immediately because it didn't need to wait for
    more. It's not overlap dialling because it's not waiting for any digits to
    forward.
    Telephoneman, Oct 10, 2007
  11. In article <>,
    Telephoneman <> wrote:

    >"Gordon Henderson" <> wrote in message
    >SNIP>
    >> These are configurable on the BT100 web interface - to change the
    >> time-out, look for the "No Key Entry timeout" (it's 4 by default), and
    >> to make it present the number on each digit, look for the "Early Dial"
    >> setting which is off by default. (On the advanced settings page)

    >Thanks. I changed it but the asterisk doesn't seem to support "early dial",
    >well at least not in the "off the shelf" Trixbox variant that I've got. I
    >don't know enough about asterisk to delve into it so I'll probably leave
    >things as they are.

    Asterisk certianly does support it, but I don't know how trixbox
    constructs it's dialplan - anything with a wildcard in it will really
    need to wait for the phone to "finish" dialling. However, I've found it
    to be more of a PITA that something that's actually useful, so I never
    enable it. I also tend to set the dial time-out quite high too. The idea
    is that people are used to using a "send" button on their mobile phone,
    so their deskphone is going to work the same way...

    Gordon
    Gordon Henderson, Oct 10, 2007
  12. telephoneman

    Paul Hayes Guest

    Telephoneman wrote:
    > "alexd" <> wrote in message
    >> Telephoneman wrote:
    >>
    >>> "alexd" <> wrote in message
    >>>>
    >>> Well unless definitions have changed in this new IP world I think that
    >>> you're incorrect. Overlap dialling would be where you have a number such
    >>> as 01757XXXXXX and the exchange can resolve a routing choice based on the
    >>> 01757 and does so even though it hasn't yet received the XXXXXX that it
    >>> is
    >>> expecting.

    >> Isn't that effectively what you're asking for?
    >>

    > No, not really. From the other replies to the post it's a moot point because
    > it seems that generally the phone sends all the digits at once, either after
    > an elapsed time, a # or by pressing a send button.
    >
    > I was assuming that the digits were sent one at a time, in which case I
    > wanted to set the switch to recognise that after it saw a 5 it should expect
    > 2 more digits then route immediately because it didn't need to wait for
    > more. It's not overlap dialling because it's not waiting for any digits to
    > forward.

    Overlap dialling is what you want. At the moment your phone isn't
    sending anything Asterisk until you either tell it to or the timer
    elapses. With overlap dialling, every digit is sent to the PBX
    (Asterisk in your case) and it's up to the PBX to decide when it has
    enough digits to actually do something it them. You need a phone that
    supports it (I've no idea if the BT101 does or not, snom phones
    certainly do) and you need a PBX that can handle it. I believe support
    for it does exist for Asterisk but I'm not so sure how well it works.

    What happens if you type the number into the phone and then pick up the
    handset?

    cheers,
    Paul.

    --