Asterisk PBX on Ethernet

Discussion in 'VOIP' started by DummyBoy, Jan 12, 2005.

  1. DummyBoy

    DummyBoy Guest

    Hello,
    I'm very interested in this discussion about asterisk pbx. I realized
    a little pbx with a TDM400P card and it worked well. Now I'd like to
    try another solution with more phones.
    Doug says I could use IP phones on ethernet....this seems interesting.
    I searched for internet but I didn't find a scheme about components
    needed and how to connect them.
    I think I need:
    - a digital line from my local telco for example a E1 ( I live in
    Europe).
    - a digium card supporting E1 line on a PBX server with Asterisk to
    connect the PBX machine to the E1 line. But which card? T110P or
    TE410P ?? What is the difference??
    - a ethernet card to let Asterisk speak with IP phones
    - a hub or switch to connect PBX to phones

    E1 <---> Digium card <---> PBX (asterisk) <---> eth card <--->
    hub/switch <---> IP phones

    Is this all I need?? Is the connection diagram correct??

    Thanks in advance to everyone.

    DummyBoy

    DummyBoy, Jan 12, 2005

  2. (DummyBoy) writes:
    >I'm very interested in this discussion about asterisk pbx. I realized
    >a little pbx with a TDM400P card and it worked well. Now I'd like to
    >try another solution with more phones.
    >Doug says I could use IP phones on ethernet....this seems interesting.
    >I searched for internet but I didn't find a scheme about components
    >needed and how to connect them.

    There's lots of IP phones.
    http://www.voip-info.org/wiki-Asterisk phones

    gives a list of what people have used specificly with Asterisk and
    written up something about it.

    >I think I need:
    >- a digital line from my local telco for example a E1 ( I live in
    >Europe).

    Sure, the price break even point seems to be about 10-12 trunks or so
    before an E1/T1 seems to be worthwhile.

    >- a digium card supporting E1 line on a PBX server with Asterisk to
    >connect the PBX machine to the E1 line. But which card? T110P or
    >TE410P ?? What is the difference??

    Well, the TE110P is a single port, and the TE410P is a quad port, and
    the cost is likewise more for the one with 4 times the hardware on one card.

    >- a ethernet card to let Asterisk speak with IP phones

    Sure, but I'll bet the machine you put Asterisk on already has
    ethernet already unless you want to run them totally seperate than
    your data network. Its really how much data you have going around and
    how crticial for no voice quality disruption you need.

    Sure. Lots of info on the http://www.voip-info.org/ site.

    Doug McIntyre, Jan 12, 2005