    Items for sale: www.dodgy-dealer.co.uk
    3p/min & 1p Texts, EasyMobile, For £5 airtime bonus contact via:
    www.southeastbirmingham.co.uk
    {{{{{Welcome}}}}}, Apr 22, 2006

  2. Thus spaketh {{{{{Welcome}}}}}:
    > Is there a really simple step by step guide to setting up
    > Asterisk@Home ?
    > I have a LinkSys PAP2 ATA, no PSTN phone line, what should I expect
    > the system to offer me with this setup?

    Another thing, this may sound a little stupid, I know the Asterisk@Home PC
    needs to be connected to my router, does the PAP2 then need to be connected
    to the Asterisk@Home PC by way of another Ethernet port (two Ethernet ports
    in total) or can it be made to work with the PAP2 connected to the router?
    {{{{{Welcome}}}}}, Apr 22, 2006

  3. {{{{{Welcome}}}}}

    Sean Guest

    {{{{{Welcome}}}}} wrote:
    > Thus spaketh {{{{{Welcome}}}}}:
    >> Is there a really simple step by step guide to setting up
    >> Asterisk@Home ?
    >> I have a LinkSys PAP2 ATA, no PSTN phone line, what should I expect
    >> the system to offer me with this setup?

    > Another thing, this may sound a little stupid, I know the Asterisk@Home PC
    > needs to be connected to my router, does the PAP2 then need to be connected
    > to the Asterisk@Home PC by way of another Ethernet port (two Ethernet ports
    > in total) or can it be made to work with the PAP2 connected to the router?

    http://www.voip-info.org/wiki-Asterisk Has lots of information.

    There is lots of other websites with info all over the internet, google
    for then :)

    I have asterisk running, i use it for callback mainly, i have set it so
    if i call a number i have assigned, it cuts me off and calls me back.
    Allowing me to make calls from any provider i wish... Been messing with
    it lots over past week.

    An asterisk PBX/Server is very similar to what many SIP providers use
    for there networks. Sipgate use it for certain, and have not customized
    lots of it, for example voicemail, its a right mess! The voices are
    awful, and there is about three people doing voices. So, with it being
    similar idea, you just set your PAP2, or other hardware, to register to
    the asterisk box. That is then a gateway to the 'Trunks' you have set up.

    It's quite useful that you can set it to call out via loads of different
    trunks (providers) I have voipbuster as main one, then go down to other
    ones, blueface, sipgate, voipfone, voipuser etc... So when making a call
    it will try each one until it gets a connection :)

    Email me if you want any help, i will try my best!
    Sean, Apr 22, 2006
  4. {{{{{Welcome}}}}}

    paul123 Guest

    {{{{{Welcome}}}}} wrote:
    > Thus spaketh {{{{{Welcome}}}}}:
    > > Is there a really simple step by step guide to setting up
    > > Asterisk@Home ?

    Excellent setup guide at:
    http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/view/Asterisk@home Handbook Wiki
    And brilliant tutorials/ideas at: www.nerdvittles.com

    > > I have a LinkSys PAP2 ATA, no PSTN phone line, what should I expect
    > > the system to offer me with this setup?

    Multiple SIP accounts, as many extensions as you want, auto-attendants,
    voicemail that emails you a copy of the message, time conditions (send
    afterhours calls on your "business" calls to voicemail), call
    forwarding to other numbers etc etc the list is longggg - It's really a
    question of "What CAN'T it do?"
    Oh, if you're on cable with a phone service, that line could be routed
    into your asterisk as well, I think.

    > Another thing, this may sound a little stupid, I know the Asterisk@Home PC
    > needs to be connected to my router, does the PAP2 then need to be connected
    > to the Asterisk@Home PC by way of another Ethernet port (two Ethernet ports
    > in total) or can it be made to work with the PAP2 connected to the router?

    Yes, your PAP and asterisk box would plug into your router. Mine sits
    on the same LAN as my ATAs (ie all are plugged into my router). I think
    you could also plug your ATA into your AAH box but you would need 2
    ethernet cards on that PC as you said.
    paul123, Apr 22, 2006
  5. {{{{{Welcome}}}}}

    Jono Guest

    {{{{{Welcome}}}}} was thinking very hard :

    By far the best - http://nerdvittles.com

    > I have a LinkSys PAP2 ATA, no PSTN phone line, what should I expect the
    > system to offer me with this setup?

    One thing you'll achieve, at least in the short term, is no more
    evenings with nothing to do!

    2. Dial in/Dial out using a supplier of your choice.

    3. Voicemail that can be emailed to you.

    3. Unlimited speed dials

    4. No limit on suppliers.

    5. No limit to the number of devices you connect within your local
    network.

    6. Dial-in (no answer) with callback with dial tone.

    7. Call recording (both sides of conversation)

    8. Searchable Call Data Record.

    9. Internal extension numbers (remote as well as local)

    10. Trunk to trunk call forwarding.

    ......to list but 10.
    Jono, Apr 22, 2006
  6. {{{{{Welcome}}}}}

    Jono Guest

    {{{{{Welcome}}}}} explained :
    > Thus spaketh {{{{{Welcome}}}}}:
    >> Is there a really simple step by step guide to setting up
    >> Asterisk@Home ?
    >> I have a LinkSys PAP2 ATA, no PSTN phone line, what should I expect
    >> the system to offer me with this setup?

    > Another thing, this may sound a little stupid, I know the Asterisk@Home PC
    > needs to be connected to my router,

    Yes.

    > does the PAP2 then need to be connected
    > to the Asterisk@Home PC by way of another Ethernet port (two Ethernet ports
    > in total)

    No.

    > or can it be made to work with the PAP2 connected to the router?

    Absolutely.
    Jono, Apr 22, 2006
  7. Thus spaketh Jono:

    Sounds good, I can hide the Asterisk@Home away out of sight.