    ............or step by step instructions for installing Perl, so that I can
    install Webmin?

    TIA.
    The Cable Guy, May 26, 2005

  2. The Cable Guy

    Ian Guest

    "The Cable Guy" <> wrote in message
    news:fnhle.40082$...
    > Does anyone have any simple explanation of how to get the a@h server to

    send
    > email notification of voicemail?

    Well I dont know how *@h does it but Asterisk just uses the internal mail
    server of the Linux box, so does *@h install a mail server ? easy test is to
    type " mail <email address> " and see if that gets delivered make sure
    thats working correctly then all should work OK, I know on my server I had
    to do a bit of editing to get it correct. Then all you need to do is add the
    users email address to the users entry into voicemail.conf.

    > ...........or step by step instructions for installing Perl, so that I can
    > install Webmin?

    I dont think there is a webmin plugin for asterisk that works for free. But
    for other tasks Webmin is Ok, But slower than using the command line.

    Could it be time to install a full linux install and asterisk from source
    ;-) ?

    Ian
    Ian, May 26, 2005

  3. "Ian" <spam"AT"bathfordhill.co.uk> wrote in message

    > "The Cable Guy" <> wrote in message
    >> Does anyone have any simple explanation of how to get the a@h server to

    > send
    >> email notification of voicemail?

    > Well I dont know how *@h does it but Asterisk just uses the internal mail
    > server of the Linux box, so does *@h install a mail server ? easy test is
    > type " mail <email address> " and see if that gets delivered make sure
    > thats working correctly then all should work OK, I know on my server I had
    > to do a bit of editing to get it correct. Then all you need to do is add
    > the
    > users email address to the users entry into voicemail.conf.
    >

    >> ...........or step by step instructions for installing Perl, so that I
    >> can
    >> install Webmin?

    > I dont think there is a webmin plugin for asterisk that works for free.
    > But
    > for other tasks Webmin is Ok, But slower than using the command line.
    >
    > Could it be time to install a full linux install and asterisk from source
    > ;-) ?
    >
    > Ian

    Hello Ian,

    Thank you for your reply.

    Yes, Sendmail is installed, however, I have no idea how to make it /send/
    mail.

    Where do I put SMTP details etc.?

    Webmin is supposedly capable of making the setup really easiy -
    unfortunately, the instructions say that Perl must be installed.

    From the CLI how do I
    a) check whether Perl is installed?
    b) install Perl?

    Not sure a full linix install & asterisk form source would be good for me at
    the moment!
    The Cable Guy, May 26, 2005
  4. The Cable Guy

    Ian Guest

    <snip>
    Thank you for your reply.

    > Yes, Sendmail is installed, however, I have no idea how to make it /send/
    > mail.
    >
    > Where do I put SMTP details etc.?

    You dont realy, You are the smtp server so so long as the * has access to a
    DNS server it will deliver the message to the user.

    what happens if you type mail at the command line?

    > Webmin is supposedly capable of making the setup really easiy -
    > unfortunately, the instructions say that Perl must be installed.
    >
    > From the CLI how do I
    > a) check whether Perl is installed?

    pkginfo (if its there) or rpm -q or what ever the debian comand may be.
    > b) install Perl?

    What version of lnux does *@h install ? is it knoppix ? or DSL, or another
    debian distro?

    > Not sure a full linix install & asterisk form source would be good for me

    at
    > the moment!

    Ian
    Ian, May 26, 2005
  5. "Ian" <spam"AT"bathfordhill.co.uk> wrote in message

    >> Where do I put SMTP details etc.?
    >>

    > You dont realy, You are the smtp server so so long as the * has access to
    > DNS server it will deliver the message to the user.

    ? Do you mean it should just send to any email address, without any details,
    except the recipient's address? All my users are outside the LAN, so to
    speak, using POP.

    > what happens if you type mail at the command line?

    Don't know. I'll have to wait until I get home.

    > What version of lnux does *@h install ? is it knoppix ? or DSL, or another
    > debian distro?

    Does Cent-OS mean anything? When I installed a modem, the "Red Hat Found New
    Hardware" control appeared.

    Thanks for your patience.
    The Cable Guy, May 26, 2005
  6. The Cable Guy

    > "Ian" <spam"AT"bathfordhill.co.uk> wrote in message
    >

    > >> Where do I put SMTP details etc.?
    > >>

    > > You dont realy, You are the smtp server so so long as the * has access

    > > DNS server it will deliver the message to the user.

    > ? Do you mean it should just send to any email address, without any

    details,
    > except the recipient's address? All my users are outside the LAN, so to
    > speak, using POP.

    Yes, So will got to and ian would go to
    ian@whatever_myserver_domian_is .

    > > what happens if you type mail at the command line?

    > Don't know. I'll have to wait until I get home.
    >

    > > What version of lnux does *@h install ? is it knoppix ? or DSL, or

    another
    > > debian distro?
    > >

    > Does Cent-OS mean anything? When I installed a modem, the "Red Hat Found

    New
    > Hardware" control appeared.

    Yep so type rpm -q perl and hopefully it will return what version is
    installed or tell you its not installed..

    > Thanks for your patience.

    No worries, It beats thinking about remote snmp alarm delivery, :-( and
    finding why suppliers havent delivered parts I need to ship an order :-(

    Ian
    Ian, May 26, 2005
  7. "Ian" <spam"AT"bathfordhill.co.uk> wrote in message

    > "The Cable Guy" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Ian" <spam"AT"bathfordhill.co.uk> wrote in message

    >> > You dont realy, You are the smtp server so so long as the * has access

    >> > DNS server it will deliver the message to the user.

    >> ? Do you mean it should just send to any email address, without any

    > details,
    >> except the recipient's address? All my users are outside the LAN, so to
    >> speak, using POP.
    >>

    > Yes, So will got to and ian would go to
    > ian@whatever_myserver_domian_is .
    >

    >> > what happens if you type mail at the command line?

    >> Don't know. I'll have to wait until I get home.
    >>

    >> > What version of lnux does *@h install ? is it knoppix ? or DSL, or

    > another
    >> > debian distro?
    >> >

    >> Does Cent-OS mean anything? When I installed a modem, the "Red Hat Found

    > New
    >> Hardware" control appeared.
    >>

    > Yep so type rpm -q perl and hopefully it will return what version is
    > installed or tell you its not installed..
    >

    >> Thanks for your patience.
    >>

    > No worries, It beats thinking about remote snmp alarm delivery, :-( and
    > finding why suppliers havent delivered parts I need to ship an order :-(
    >
    > Ian

    Hello again Ian,

    Assuming when I type rpm -q perl the reply is that I haven't got Perl, how
    do I install it?

    I've downladed the perl.tar.gz, I know how to copy it to the a@h
    box.............

    where should I copy it to & how do I execute it?

    :)
    The Cable Guy, May 26, 2005
  8. The Cable Guy

    > "Ian" <spam"AT"bathfordhill.co.uk> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "The Cable Guy" <> wrote in message
    > >>
    > >> "Ian" <spam"AT"bathfordhill.co.uk> wrote in message

    access

    > >> ? Do you mean it should just send to any email address, without any

    > > details,
    > >> except the recipient's address? All my users are outside the LAN, so to
    > >> speak, using POP.
    > >>

    > > Yes, So will got to and ian would go to
    > > ian@whatever_myserver_domian_is .

    > >> Don't know. I'll have to wait until I get home.

    > > another
    > >> >

    > >> Does Cent-OS mean anything? When I installed a modem, the "Red Hat

    Found
    > > New
    > >> Hardware" control appeared.
    > >>

    > > Yep so type rpm -q perl and hopefully it will return what version is
    > > installed or tell you its not installed..
    > >

    > >> Thanks for your patience.
    > >>

    > > No worries, It beats thinking about remote snmp alarm delivery, :-( and
    > > finding why suppliers havent delivered parts I need to ship an order :-(
    > >
    > > Ian
    > >

    > Hello again Ian,
    >
    > Assuming when I type rpm -q perl the reply is that I haven't got Perl, how
    > do I install it?
    >
    > I've downladed the perl.tar.gz, I know how to copy it to the a@h
    > box.............
    >
    > where should I copy it to & how do I execute it?
    >
    > :)

    If its based on centos, can you start X up ? if so you should get a RPM pkg
    manager. I am supprised that perl is not loaded. I assume appache is ?

    What do get if get if you browse https://yourip:10000 ?

    Ian, May 26, 2005
  9. The Cable Guy

    Roly Guest

    > Does anyone have any simple explanation of how to get the a@h server to
    > send email notification of voicemail?
    >
    > ...........or step by step instructions for installing Perl, so that I can
    > install Webmin?
    >
    > TIA.

    Hi,

    Doesn't help much but without any extra config the voicemail sends me email
    notifications with attachments. All I have set is an email address in the
    voicemail section of the extension setup page. I'm using *@H version 0.8 .
    Is it possible that a firewall is blocking the traffic?

    Roly.
    Roly, May 26, 2005
  10. The Cable Guy

    Steve Guest

    > Does anyone have any simple explanation of how to get the a@h server to
    > send email notification of voicemail?
    >
    > ...........or step by step instructions for installing Perl, so that I can
    > install Webmin?
    >
    > TIA.

    Installing webmin is pretty easy, download it (something like
    webmin-1.180-1.noarch.rpm) and copy to your asterisk server, maybe to /tmp.
    cd to /tmp then type rpm -U webmin-1.180-1.noarch.rpm. The CentOS will be
    seen as Redhat Linux 3.0ES, login at http://your*ipaddress:10000.

    regards,

    Steve
    Steve, May 26, 2005
  11. >>
    > If its based on centos, can you start X up ? if so you should get a RPM
    > pkg
    > manager. I am supprised that perl is not loaded. I assume appache is ?
    >
    > What do get if get if you browse https://yourip:10000 ?

    The page cannot be displayed
    The Cable Guy, May 26, 2005
  12. The Cable Guy

    Steve Guest

    Steve, May 26, 2005
  13. Steve wrote:
    || "The Cable Guy" <> wrote in message
    ||| Does anyone have any simple explanation of how to get the a@h
    ||| server to send email notification of voicemail?
    ||| ...........or step by step instructions for installing Perl, so
    ||| that I can install Webmin?
    ||| TIA.
    || Installing webmin is pretty easy, download it (something like
    || webmin-1.180-1.noarch.rpm) and copy to your asterisk server, maybe
    || to /tmp. cd to /tmp then type rpm -U webmin-1.180-1.noarch.rpm. The
    || CentOS will be seen as Redhat Linux 3.0ES, login at
    || http://your*ipaddress:10000.
    || regards,
    || Steve

    Ta.

    Now got Webmin working - the address the CLI suggested I should use was
    https://asterisk1.localhost:10000 (or similar) However,
    http://serverIP:10000 is the only one that works.
    The Cable Guy, May 26, 2005
  14. Ian" <spam"AT wrote:

    ||| :)
    || If its based on centos, can you start X up ? if so you should get a
    || RPM pkg manager. I am supprised that perl is not loaded. I assume
    || appache is ?
    || What do get if get if you browse https://yourip:10000 ?

    http://serverIP:10000 worked - had to drop the s

    Thanks.

    Perl was included in the distro, BTW.

    Can't get send mail to work, though.
    The Cable Guy, May 26, 2005
  15. Roly wrote:
    || "The Cable Guy" <> wrote in message
    ||| Does anyone have any simple explanation of how to get the a@h
    ||| server to send email notification of voicemail?
    ||| ...........or step by step instructions for installing Perl, so
    ||| that I can install Webmin?
    ||| TIA.
    || Hi,
    || Doesn't help much but without any extra config the voicemail sends
    || me email notifications with attachments. All I have set is an email
    || address in the voicemail section of the extension setup page. I'm
    || using *@H version 0.8 . Is it possible that a firewall is blocking
    || the traffic?
    || Roly.

    Hello Roly,

    Yes, I expected email to be sent by merely putting the address in the
    voicemail section of the extension config.

    Alas, no.
    The Cable Guy, May 26, 2005
  16. The Cable Guy

    Ian Guest

    "The Cable Guy" <21.com> wrote in message

    > || If its based on centos, can you start X up ? if so you should get a
    > || RPM pkg manager. I am supprised that perl is not loaded. I assume
    > || appache is ?
    > || What do get if get if you browse https://yourip:10000 ?
    >
    > http://serverIP:10000 worked - had to drop the s

    Hmm all my servers use https for webmin, I had asumed they all did perhaps
    centos isnt as security concious.

    > Thanks.
    >
    > Perl was included in the distro, BTW.
    >
    > Can't get send mail to work, though.

    What do you get if you type "mail" at the comand prompt ?

    Also what does the maillog show you. you should be able to view this in
    webmin.

    Ian
    Ian, May 26, 2005
  17. Ian" <spam"AT wrote:
    || "The Cable Guy" <21.com> wrote in message
    ||| http://serverIP:10000 worked - had to drop the s
    || Hmm all my servers use https for webmin, I had asumed they all did
    || perhaps centos isnt as security concious.
    ||| Thanks.
    ||| Perl was included in the distro, BTW.
    ||| Can't get send mail to work, though.
    || What do you get if you type "mail" at the comand prompt ?
    || Also what does the maillog show you. you should be able to view this
    || in webmin.
    || Ian

    Interestingly, the mail is now being bounced back as undeliverable - here's
    a copy of the bounce:

    The original message was received at Thu, 26 May 2005 13:59:30 -0400
    from asterisk1.local [127.0.0.1]

    <>
    (reason: 550-Verification failed for <>)

    .... while talking to golf.rb.xcalibre.co.uk.:
    >>> DATA

    <<< 550-Verification failed for <>
    <<< 550-Unrouteable address
    <<< 550 Sender verify failed
    550 5.1.1 <>... User unknown
    <<< 503 valid RCPT command must precede DATA
    The Cable Guy, May 26, 2005
  18. On Thu, 26 May 2005 21:25:38 GMT, "The Cable Guy"
    <21.com> wrote:

    ><>

    did you snip the dot between co and uk ?

    > (reason: 550-Verification failed for <>)
    >
    > ----- Transcript of session follows -----
    >... while talking to golf.rb.xcalibre.co.uk.:

    ><<< 550-Verification failed for <>
    ><<< 550-Unrouteable address
    ><<< 550 Sender verify failed

    sender verification - needs an address than can be resolved by DNS ?

    Phil
    --
    spamcop.net address commissioned 18/06/04
    Come on down !
    Phil Thompson, May 26, 2005
  19. Phil Thompson wrote:
    || On Thu, 26 May 2005 21:25:38 GMT, "The Cable Guy"
    || <21.com> wrote:
    ||| <>
    || did you snip the dot between co and uk ?

    Yes, albeit accidentally.

    ||| (reason: 550-Verification failed for <>)
    ||| ----- Transcript of session follows -----
    ||| ... while talking to golf.rb.xcalibre.co.uk.:
    ||| <<< 550-Verification failed for <>
    ||| <<< 550-Unrouteable address
    ||| <<< 550 Sender verify failed
    || sender verification - needs an address than can be resolved by DNS ?

    Where on earth do I enter it?
    The Cable Guy, May 26, 2005
  20. On Thu, 26 May 2005 21:54:27 GMT, "The Cable Guy"
    <21.com> wrote:

    >Where on earth do I enter it?

    it had

    ||| <<< 550-Verification failed for <>

    so if you have called the box "asterisk1" maybe you should call it
    "asterisk1.mydomain.co.uk" alternatively can you point the emailer at
    the ISPs SMTP server ?

    Phil
    Phil Thompson, May 26, 2005