    TIA

    --
    John Blessing
    John Blessing, Jun 14, 2007

  2. In article <9Qcci.3809$O%>,
    John Blessing <blessij@**REMOVE**THIS**gmail.com> wrote:
    >I want to set up my computer so that it automatically receives calls to e.g.
    >a sipgate number, then does some auto-processing - including (but there may
    >be other stuff I want to do later) saving the message to voicemail, then
    >emailing that voicemail,
    >
    >I believe that you can do this sort of thing with Asterisk, is that correct?

    Yes.

    >I have tried reading the "future of Telephony" book but have to admit being
    >a bit overwhelmed and much of it seems irrelevant to what I want to do.

    It's got everything you need, but it's not an easy read.

    >Is there a simple guide that anyone can point me at?

    Not really. There is an asterisk-users mailling list which has
    voluminous archives, so is full of stuff, but it's hard to pick
    out what you need. Theres also a big voip wiki project going on
    http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/

    >Or should I be looking for another solution?

    A single asterisk box (or running on your workstation) is a bit of an
    overkill for what you want... Don't sipgate offer voicemail to email yet?

    But rather than 'raw' asterisk, you might want to look at some of the
    other projects based on it - eg. Trixbox (used to be called Asterisk
    at Home) or FreePBX (incorporated into Trixbox), and so on...

    Gordon
    Gordon Henderson, Jun 14, 2007

  3. "Gordon Henderson" <> wrote in message
    > In article <9Qcci.3809$O%>,
    > John Blessing <blessij@**REMOVE**THIS**gmail.com> wrote:
    >>I want to set up my computer so that it automatically receives calls to
    >>e.g.
    >>a sipgate number, then does some auto-processing - including (but there
    >>may
    >>be other stuff I want to do later) saving the message to voicemail, then
    >>emailing that voicemail,
    >>
    >>I believe that you can do this sort of thing with Asterisk, is that
    >>correct?

    > Yes.
    >
    >>I have tried reading the "future of Telephony" book but have to admit
    >>being
    >>a bit overwhelmed and much of it seems irrelevant to what I want to do.

    > It's got everything you need, but it's not an easy read.
    >
    >>Is there a simple guide that anyone can point me at?

    > Not really. There is an asterisk-users mailling list which has
    > voluminous archives, so is full of stuff, but it's hard to pick
    > out what you need. Theres also a big voip wiki project going on
    > http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/
    >
    >>Or should I be looking for another solution?

    > A single asterisk box (or running on your workstation) is a bit of an
    > overkill for what you want... Don't sipgate offer voicemail to email yet?

    Yes, they do, but I want the flexibility of being able to use different voip
    providers who may not have this voicemail/email facility and the ability to
    add other functionality myself.

    I'll look into trixbox etc. Thanks.

    --
    John
    John Blessing, Jun 14, 2007
  4. In article <Kndci.4364$>,
    John Blessing <blessij@**REMOVE**THIS**gmail.com> wrote:

    >"Gordon Henderson" <> wrote in message
    >> In article <9Qcci.3809$O%>,
    >> John Blessing <blessij@**REMOVE**THIS**gmail.com> wrote:
    >>>I want to set up my computer so that it automatically receives calls to
    >>>e.g.
    >>>a sipgate number, then does some auto-processing - including (but there
    >>>may
    >>>be other stuff I want to do later) saving the message to voicemail, then
    >>>emailing that voicemail,
    >>>
    >>>I believe that you can do this sort of thing with Asterisk, is that
    >>>correct?

    >> Yes.
    >>
    >>>I have tried reading the "future of Telephony" book but have to admit
    >>>being
    >>>a bit overwhelmed and much of it seems irrelevant to what I want to do.

    >> It's got everything you need, but it's not an easy read.
    >>
    >>>Is there a simple guide that anyone can point me at?

    >> Not really. There is an asterisk-users mailling list which has
    >> voluminous archives, so is full of stuff, but it's hard to pick
    >> out what you need. Theres also a big voip wiki project going on
    >> http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/
    >>
    >>>Or should I be looking for another solution?

    >> A single asterisk box (or running on your workstation) is a bit of an
    >> overkill for what you want... Don't sipgate offer voicemail to email yet?

    >Yes, they do, but I want the flexibility of being able to use different voip
    >providers who may not have this voicemail/email facility and the ability to
    >add other functionality myself.

    Well, it's not too hard - Sipgate have instructions on what to put in
    the various asterisk files which generally work OK, then you can
    write the dialplan to suit your own intentions..

    >I'll look into trixbox etc. Thanks.

    Might not provide the flexability that you need, but it might also get
    you going fairly quickly - the issues with Trixbox, etc. is that they
    want to completely take over all the /etc/asterisk/* config files, so
    putting your own stuff in them might be problematic, but it might also
    give you some ideas of what you want to put in there yourself.

    Good luck!

    Gordon
    Gordon Henderson, Jun 14, 2007