Asterisk and voicemail permission problem

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by Tinus, Aug 25, 2006.

  1. Tinus

    Tinus Guest

    Hello all,

    Maybe some of you are Asterisk experts and can help me with my problem.
    I'm a Linux newbie but I've managed to install Fedora Core 5 on a Via EPIA
    EN15000 board.

    I've compiled Asterisk (version 1.2.10) succesfully and I'm running Asterisk
    with user asterisk and group asterisk. If I start asterisk with
    asterisk -vvvvvvvvvvgc then all is well, no problems are reported.

    But I thing is driving me crazy. Every time a new voicemail is created in
    the /var/spool/asterisk/voicemail/default/101/INBOX the asterisk group does
    not have read/execute permissions. Only the user asterisk does. The problem
    then is that ARI (Asterisk Recording Interface = Web interface for reading
    voicemail messages) cannot read the voicemail. BTW, apache user is added to
    the asterisk group. However because the asterisk group does not have
    read/exec permissions I still can't see them in ARI.

    If I execute the following commands:
    chown --recursive asterisk:asterisk /var/spool/asterisk
    chmod --recursive u=rwX,g=rX,o= /var/spool/asterisk

    Then all is well. In ARI I see the voicemails. But a new voicemail is again
    created without group permissions (msg0000 is old; msg0001 is new):
    -rwxr-x--- 1 asterisk asterisk 23793 Aug 25 16:09 msg0000.gsm
    -rw-r----- 1 asterisk asterisk 246 Aug 25 16:09 msg0000.txt
    -rwxr-x--- 1 asterisk asterisk 230764 Aug 25 16:09 msg0000.wav
    -rwxr-x--- 1 asterisk asterisk 23460 Aug 25 16:09 msg0000.WAV
    -rwx------ 1 asterisk asterisk 7755 Aug 25 16:44 msg0001.gsm
    -rw------- 1 asterisk asterisk 245 Aug 25 16:44 msg0001.txt
    -rwx------ 1 asterisk asterisk 75244 Aug 25 16:44 msg0001.wav
    -rwx------ 1 asterisk asterisk 7730 Aug 25 16:44 msg0001.WAV

    As you can see, msg0001 has no r and x permissions for the group asterisk.
    Now how can I resolve this?

    Hope someone has an answer for me!

    Thanks in advance!
    With regards,