Asterisk and video

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by Darren J Longhorn, Oct 19, 2005.

  1. Anyone know if Asterisk can handle video phones clients when acting as
    a SIP server?
    Darren J Longhorn, Oct 19, 2005

  2. Darren J Longhorn

    alexd Guest

    Darren J Longhorn wrote:

    > Anyone know if Asterisk can handle video phones clients when acting as
    > a SIP server?

    Can't see why not. SIP devices will talk to each other directly using RTP,
    if they can agree on a codec. So I imagine two of the same brand of SIP
    videophone would work OK without much tweaking of asterisk.

    --
    <http://ale.cx/> (AIM:troffasky) ()
    00:14:11 up 16 days, 5:21, 3 users, load average: 0.33, 0.18, 0.11
    alexd, Oct 21, 2005

  3. On Thu, 20 Oct 2005 23:17:17 GMT, alexd <> wrote:

    >Darren J Longhorn wrote:
    >
    >> Anyone know if Asterisk can handle video phones clients when acting as
    >> a SIP server?

    >Can't see why not. SIP devices will talk to each other directly using RTP,
    >if they can agree on a codec. So I imagine two of the same brand of SIP
    >videophone would work OK without much tweaking of asterisk.

    Yes, I did a bit of reading at viop-info.org and it's clear that at
    least some video phones are supported. What I couldn't understand was
    the "allow" option in sip.conf As you say, I would have thought that
    the codecs allowed were up to the clients to agree. Or is this only
    applicable when asterisk is used as a client? I guess I'll have to try
    it and see.
    Darren J Longhorn, Oct 21, 2005
  4. Darren J Longhorn

    alexd Guest

    Darren J Longhorn wrote:

    > On Thu, 20 Oct 2005 23:17:17 GMT, alexd <> wrote:
    >
    >>Darren J Longhorn wrote:
    >>
    >>> Anyone know if Asterisk can handle video phones clients when acting as
    >>> a SIP server?

    >>Can't see why not. SIP devices will talk to each other directly using RTP,
    >>if they can agree on a codec. So I imagine two of the same brand of SIP
    >>videophone would work OK without much tweaking of asterisk.

    > Yes, I did a bit of reading at viop-info.org and it's clear that at
    > least some video phones are supported. What I couldn't understand was
    > the "allow" option in sip.conf As you say, I would have thought that
    > the codecs allowed were up to the clients to agree. Or is this only
    > applicable when asterisk is used as a client? I guess I'll have to try
    > it and see.

    Also try putting videosupport=yes in the [general] section of sip.conf

    --
    <http://ale.cx/> (AIM:troffasky) ()
    10:12:12 up 17 days, 15:19, 3 users, load average: 0.37, 0.40, 0.24
    alexd, Oct 22, 2005