Asterisk advice and costs

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by Les Desser, Jul 17, 2006.

  1. Les Desser

    Les Desser Guest

    We are a volunteer emergency first responder group and currently share a
    Siemens switchboard with a company, that provides us with the features
    below (except recording)

    We need to set up our own independent switchboard. To replicate the
    existing one, even with a reduced configuration is likely to be very
    expensive and so we are looking for alternatives.

    Our needs are:-

    4 incoming lines from the public.
    8 outgoing lines to the operators

    Calls are received on a central number and forwarded simultaneously to
    *all* operators. The duty operator should answer but if that does not
    happen (may already be on a call) then any one of the others will
    answer.

    So, any ringing incoming line must be forwarded to all available
    outgoing lines which must all ring until the call is answered, at which
    point the remaining lines must clear down, ready for a subsequent call.

    We also need to record the 4 incoming lines as MP3 files.

    Is all of the above possible with Asterisk and does anyone have any idea
    of equipment costs?

    Many thanks.
    --
    Les Desser
    (The Reply-to address IS valid)

    Les Desser, Jul 17, 2006

  2. Les Desser

    alexd Guest

    Les Desser wrote:

    > Our needs are:-
    >
    > 4 incoming lines from the public.
    > 8 outgoing lines to the operators

    By 'outgoing lines to operators' do you mean lines used to place calls out
    onto the phone network to e.g. a first responder's mobile? Or do you mean
    eight extensions [handsets] in an office with one person manning each?

    > Calls are received on a central number and forwarded simultaneously to
    > *all* operators. The duty operator should answer but if that does not
    > happen (may already be on a call) then any one of the others will
    > answer.
    >
    > So, any ringing incoming line must be forwarded to all available
    > outgoing lines which must all ring until the call is answered, at which
    > point the remaining lines must clear down, ready for a subsequent call.
    >
    > We also need to record the 4 incoming lines as MP3 files.
    >
    > Is all of the above possible with Asterisk

    Yes.

    > and does anyone have any idea of equipment costs?

    It depends on what type of PSTN connection you have. ISDN30 cards start at
    around 250 quid. ISDN2 cards start at about 20 quid [of which you'd need
    two if you have four channels of ISDN2]. If you have IP PSTN [from Sipgate
    or Gradwell or whoever], then every PC comes with a network card.

    Hardphones start at around 50 quid and go up to the sky. Softphones are
    free.

    A PC to put it all in starts at about 400 quid but it'll be worth spending a
    little extra on RAM, and storage for call recordings. If said call
    recordings are mission-critical, you could add a tape drive or DVD burner
    for nightly backups.

    If a disaster affects your office and you need to respond to it, add in the
    cost of a UPS to power your server and a Power over Ethernet switch to keep
    the phones alive.

    Perhaps you'd be better off with a second hand PBX? Bear in mind that you
    can prototype your asterisk system without any outlay, other than your
    time.

    --
    <http://ale.cx/> (AIM:troffasky) ()
    17:51:13 up 5 days, 8:31, 3 users, load average: 0.11, 0.08, 0.10

    alexd, Jul 17, 2006

  3. Les Desser

    Brian A Guest

    On Mon, 17 Jul 2006 17:02:56 GMT, alexd <> wrote:

    >Les Desser wrote:

    >> Our needs are:-
    >>
    >> 4 incoming lines from the public.
    >> 8 outgoing lines to the operators

    >By 'outgoing lines to operators' do you mean lines used to place calls out
    >onto the phone network to e.g. a first responder's mobile? Or do you mean
    >eight extensions [handsets] in an office with one person manning each?
    >
    >> Calls are received on a central number and forwarded simultaneously to
    >> *all* operators. The duty operator should answer but if that does not
    >> happen (may already be on a call) then any one of the others will
    >> answer.
    >>
    >> So, any ringing incoming line must be forwarded to all available
    >> outgoing lines which must all ring until the call is answered, at which
    >> point the remaining lines must clear down, ready for a subsequent call.
    >>
    >> We also need to record the 4 incoming lines as MP3 files.
    >>
    >> Is all of the above possible with Asterisk

    >Yes.
    >
    >> and does anyone have any idea of equipment costs?

    >It depends on what type of PSTN connection you have. ISDN30 cards start at
    >around 250 quid. ISDN2 cards start at about 20 quid [of which you'd need
    >two if you have four channels of ISDN2]. If you have IP PSTN [from Sipgate
    >or Gradwell or whoever], then every PC comes with a network card.
    >
    >Hardphones start at around 50 quid and go up to the sky. Softphones are
    >free.
    >
    >A PC to put it all in starts at about 400 quid but it'll be worth spending a
    >little extra on RAM, and storage for call recordings. If said call
    >recordings are mission-critical, you could add a tape drive or DVD burner
    >for nightly backups.
    >
    >If a disaster affects your office and you need to respond to it, add in the
    >cost of a UPS to power your server and a Power over Ethernet switch to keep
    >the phones alive.
    >

    >Perhaps you'd be better off with a second hand PBX? Bear in mind that you
    >can prototype your asterisk system without any outlay, other than your
    >time.

    I'm NOT an expert in Asterisk etc. but could you not port the PSTN
    numbers to a voip company such as voiptalk ( as they give you the
    flexibility to point to any SIP of your choice) thus avoiding some
    hardware costs???
    I am assuming that, as the OP posted to a voip group, he may looking
    for a voip centred solution.
    Often, with voluntary groups, funds are short so,
    if you wanted to avoid exchange hardware altogether, you could use
    Easypabx. ( www.easypabx.com )
    I don't know what reliabilty level you are looking for in the
    exchange. Easypabx does go down occasionally so for an emergency group
    it may NOT be regarded as suitable - but it is free and may be worth
    a look to get you started , perhaps while you are developing/raising
    funds a hardware solution. You can check views, via the forum, re the
    reliability of the exchange.
    In Easypabx you can set up a ring group so that all extension ring at
    the same time, which, I gather, is what you want to do. The extensions
    don't have to be in the same geographical place of course. You can set
    up IVRs to give whatever announcements you want.
    You can have all the incoming lines you are needing and up to 100
    extensions. You would use these as your outgoing lines.
    In this case each operator location would need broadband access for
    their ATA or SIP phone.

    Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.

    Brian A, Jul 17, 2006
  4. Les Desser

    Les Desser Guest

    Thank you alexd and Brian for your responses.

    Rather than reply point by point to each of you I will try and clarify
    our requirements, but with reference to the points raised.

    Because of the reliability element - 24/7 - I do not think that a VOIP
    solution is for us.

    Even though we may have enough redundancy with the operators on ADSL, I
    do not think we could trust the centre to be dependent on ADSL.

    I posted here as it was the first group I found that had significant
    Asterisk traffic. I hope I was right :)

    The 8 outgoing lines are via PSTN. The actual switchboard location is
    un-manned. The operators are housewives at home doing duty rota hours
    but it is necessary for all phones to ring so that if the duty operator
    cannot answer then someone else will pick up.

    The ISDN card for £250 - how many channels per card?

    We would only need one or two phones for occasional use. Presumably
    need a card for that.

    How many cards (of all sorts) would we need? Would they all fit in a
    standard PC? If not how does one add extra cards?

    The PC as such is not a problem. As a computer consultant I have
    several spare Dell servers available. Ditto for UPS. My zero knowledge
    of Linux is a problem.

    Backups of the recording would be via ADSL to my own servers.

    Thanks for the tip about PoE for the phones.

    As to using a PBX we considered using a Panasonic KXTD30 with 8
    extension ports forwarding to eight external numbers but it did not
    work.

    We have only been able to find a particular Siemens PBX that can treat
    an external line as an extension but the costs are high.
    ---------

    Someone raised a problem today were we to use a switchboard with an
    external recorder.

    If we have ISDN30 with 12 channels, we would have a problem if we used
    an external recorder, as the 4 incoming lines would not be allocated to
    specific channels. I presume with Asterisk this would not be a problem.
    Only the incoming call need be record as both the incoming and outgoing
    calls would carry the same traffic.

    Les Desser, Jul 17, 2006
  5. Les Desser

    Jono Guest

    It happens that Les Desser formulated :
    > Thank you alexd and Brian for your responses.
    >
    > Rather than reply point by point to each of you I will try and clarify our
    > requirements, but with reference to the points raised.
    >
    > Because of the reliability element - 24/7 - I do not think that a VOIP
    > solution is for us.
    >
    > Even though we may have enough redundancy with the operators on ADSL, I do
    > not think we could trust the centre to be dependent on ADSL.
    >
    > I posted here as it was the first group I found that had significant Asterisk
    > traffic. I hope I was right :)
    >
    > The 8 outgoing lines are via PSTN. The actual switchboard location is
    > un-manned. The operators are housewives at home doing duty rota hours but it
    > is necessary for all phones to ring so that if the duty operator cannot
    > answer then someone else will pick up.

    Are the phones remote phones?

    > The ISDN card for £250 - how many channels per card?
    >
    > We would only need one or two phones for occasional use. Presumably need a
    > card for that.

    Thought you wanted 8 (?), or is that just lines? with 2 housewives??

    > How many cards (of all sorts) would we need? Would they all fit in a
    > standard PC? If not how does one add extra cards?

    They're usually PCI

    > The PC as such is not a problem. As a computer consultant I have several
    > spare Dell servers available. Ditto for UPS. My zero knowledge of Linux is
    > a problem.
    >
    > Backups of the recording would be via ADSL to my own servers.
    >
    > Thanks for the tip about PoE for the phones.
    >
    > As to using a PBX we considered using a Panasonic KXTD30 with 8 extension
    > ports forwarding to eight external numbers but it did not work.
    >
    > We have only been able to find a particular Siemens PBX that can treat an
    > external line as an extension but the costs are high.

    The KXTDA30 you mention can, well for ISDN lines anyway.

    If all your housewives are remote from the location of the switchboard,
    you will need twice as many lines as you have housewives, surely? One
    each for as many inbound calls you want to handle (8) & one each for
    the housewives to receive the calls as they are forwarded from your
    switch.....or at least as many lines as housewives plus intended
    simultaneous call volumes.

    You will not get trunk-to-trunk call forwarding working sucessfully
    with POTs lines. ISND2/30 would be a different matter. So would VoIP
    trunks.

    Jono, Jul 17, 2006
  6. Les Desser

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "Jono" <> wrote
    in message

    [snip]

    > If all your housewives are remote from the location of
    > the switchboard, you will need twice as many lines as you
    > have housewives, surely? One each for as many inbound
    > calls you want to handle (8) & one each for the
    > housewives to receive the calls as they are forwarded
    > from your switch.....or at least as many lines as
    > housewives plus intended simultaneous call volumes.
    > You will not get trunk-to-trunk call forwarding working
    > sucessfully with POTs lines. ISND2/30 would be a
    > different matter. So would VoIP trunks.

    It's just an idle thought, but isn't all this talk of Asterisk and PABX's
    a bit overkill..? Call forking would enable 8 ATA's, all programmed with
    the same account details, to all ring at the same time to an incoming
    call. The first to answer would get the call.

    You'd have to sort out the recording another way, but as long as everybody
    involved had VoIP the call handling aspect would work.

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Jul 17, 2006
  7. Les Desser

    Jono Guest

    Ivor Jones submitted this idea :
    > "Jono" <> wrote
    > in message
    >
    > [snip]
    >
    >> If all your housewives are remote from the location of
    >> the switchboard, you will need twice as many lines as you
    >> have housewives, surely? One each for as many inbound
    >> calls you want to handle (8) & one each for the
    >> housewives to receive the calls as they are forwarded
    >> from your switch.....or at least as many lines as
    >> housewives plus intended simultaneous call volumes.
    >> You will not get trunk-to-trunk call forwarding working
    >> sucessfully with POTs lines. ISND2/30 would be a
    >> different matter. So would VoIP trunks.

    > It's just an idle thought, but isn't all this talk of Asterisk and PABX's a
    > bit overkill..? Call forking would enable 8 ATA's, all programmed with the
    > same account details, to all ring at the same time to an incoming call. The
    > first to answer would get the call.
    >
    > You'd have to sort out the recording another way, but as long as everybody
    > involved had VoIP the call handling aspect would work.
    >
    > Ivor

    I agree, from a technical POV, however, the OP's calls are critical.

    Jono, Jul 17, 2006
  8. Les Desser

    Guest

    On Mon, 17 Jul 2006 11:42:09 +0100, Les Desser
    <> wrote:

    >Our needs are:-
    >
    >4 incoming lines from the public.
    >8 outgoing lines to the operators

    Is there some other requirement for this? Your explanation doesn't
    seem to need all these lines.

    >Calls are received on a central number and forwarded simultaneously to
    >*all* operators. The duty operator should answer but if that does not
    >happen (may already be on a call) then any one of the others will
    >answer.
    >
    >So, any ringing incoming line must be forwarded to all available
    >outgoing lines which must all ring until the call is answered, at which
    >point the remaining lines must clear down, ready for a subsequent call.

    That's easy. You don't even asterisk to do that. Just set up the
    requisite sip accounts on somewhere like voip.co.uk and it is all done
    on their system. There is no need for the call to go in to your
    switchboard and out again, eating your bandwidth and introducing
    delays.

    The only cost is an ATA for each user.

    Except:

    >We also need to record the 4 incoming lines as MP3 files.

    That's a problem. If the calls are being answered remotely, to be able
    to record them centrally, you'd need to pass the call to your system,
    record it, and feed it out again. A horrible mess.

    Couldn't you record it where it is answered?

    , Jul 18, 2006
  9. Les Desser

    Les Desser Guest

    In article
    <>, Jono
    <> Mon, 17 Jul 2006 23:04:05
    writes

    >It happens that Les Desser formulated :
    >> Thank you alexd and Brian for your responses.
    >>
    >> Rather than reply point by point to each of you I will try and
    >>clarify our requirements, but with reference to the points raised.

    [...]
    >> The 8 outgoing lines are via PSTN. The actual switchboard location
    >>is un-manned. The operators are housewives at home doing duty rota
    >>hours but it is necessary for all phones to ring so that if the duty
    >>operator cannot answer then someone else will pick up.

    >Are the phones remote phones?

    Yes

    >> The ISDN card for £250 - how many channels per card?
    >>
    >> We would only need one or two phones for occasional use. Presumably
    >>need a card for that.

    >Thought you wanted 8 (?), or is that just lines? with 2 housewives??

    Clarification:

    4 incoming lines from the public - all on the same number.

    8 outgoing lines to PSTN - each programmed to call a specific
    ex-directory number.

    8 housewives at home each with an ex-directory line reserved just for
    this purpose.

    So on an incoming call, all eight phones at the eight homes will ring.

    >> How many cards (of all sorts) would we need? Would they all fit in a
    >>standard PC? If not how does one add extra cards?

    >They're usually PCI

    That does not leave a lot of room for cards, unless each card has many
    ports. On my PE1600 Dell server there are 6 slots: 2 long white
    connectors, two long green and two short white. (4 PCI and 2 ISA?)

    [..]

    >> As to using a PBX we considered using a Panasonic KXTD30 with 8
    >>extension ports forwarding to eight external numbers but it did not
    >>work.
    >>
    >> We have only been able to find a particular Siemens PBX that can
    >>treat an external line as an extension but the costs are high.

    >The KXTDA30 you mention can, well for ISDN lines anyway.

    If I can get a categorical assurance that it will do the job then it
    would be my choice. I can get it trade (45% off) and am reasonably
    familiar with it. Testing with analogue lines has not worked and the
    latest I have been told is that it will only ring one of the outgoing
    lines (as soon as it has forwarded one extension to an outside line the
    others would fail to transfer as the original incoming call would be
    considered as having bean dealt with)

    >If all your housewives are remote from the location of the switchboard,
    >you will need twice as many lines as you have housewives, surely? One
    >each for as many inbound calls you want to handle (8) & one each for
    >the housewives to receive the calls as they are forwarded from your
    >switch.....or at least as many lines as housewives plus intended
    >simultaneous call volumes.

    Agreed - that is what I meant by 4 incoming (max call volume) and 8
    outgoing (max remote operators)

    >You will not get trunk-to-trunk call forwarding working sucessfully
    >with POTs lines.

    I presume you are referring to the switchboard end. The remote
    operators would have normal analogue lines.

    > ISND2/30 would be a different matter.

    As I said above, if we could get it to work on KXTDA30 with ISDN lines
    then I would be more than happy (over the moon in fact) (except that
    call recording would be an additional cost and complication.)

    Les Desser, Jul 18, 2006
  10. Les Desser

    Les Desser Guest

    In article <>,
    Tue, 18 Jul 2006 00:53:21 writes

    >On Mon, 17 Jul 2006 11:42:09 +0100, Les Desser
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>Our needs are:-
    >>
    >>4 incoming lines from the public.
    >>8 outgoing lines to the operators

    >Is there some other requirement for this? Your explanation doesn't
    >seem to need all these lines.

    I hope I have answered that in an earlier post

    >>Calls are received on a central number and forwarded simultaneously to
    >>*all* operators. The duty operator should answer but if that does not
    >>happen (may already be on a call) then any one of the others will
    >>answer.
    >>
    >>So, any ringing incoming line must be forwarded to all available
    >>outgoing lines which must all ring until the call is answered, at which
    >>point the remaining lines must clear down, ready for a subsequent call.

    >That's easy. You don't even asterisk to do that. Just set up the
    >requisite sip accounts on somewhere like voip.co.uk and it is all done
    >on their system. There is no need for the call to go in to your
    >switchboard and out again, eating your bandwidth and introducing
    >delays.

    Unfortunately we cannot accept VoIP as a robust enough solution (sorry
    for posting to a VoIP group)

    [..]

    >>We also need to record the 4 incoming lines as MP3 files.

    >That's a problem. If the calls are being answered remotely, to be able
    >to record them centrally, you'd need to pass the call to your system,
    >record it, and feed it out again. A horrible mess.
    >
    >Couldn't you record it where it is answered?

    For us that would be more of a mess. We need ready access to all
    recordings and only a central solution is really practical.

    Les Desser, Jul 18, 2006
  11. Les Desser

    Tim Guest

    Les Desser wrote:

    > Unfortunately we cannot accept VoIP as a robust enough solution (sorry
    > for posting to a VoIP group)

    Yes, it isn't that the VoIP bit isn't robust enough. It is the ADSL
    that provides the IP that isn't robust enough.

    My thoughts:

    1) Using Asterisk is probably your cheapest and most flexible way of
    getting a box to do what you want.

    Call routing and recording are no problem

    2) You would need at least 12 channels of voice, and this is likely to
    come cheapest using a PRI circuit (ISDN 30)

    3) The setup is only going to be as reliable as the PC hardware you use,
    and the skill of the administrator who sets it up to make it up.

    Consider a backup hotspare system to plug in.

    4) In the future, if you wanted to save the phone bill you could dual
    route the outbound calls - route them over SIP to a first responders at
    and if the SIP doesn't respond in say one second, route over the PSTN.
    This would need either an ATA or SIP phone on each site, and them to
    have ADSL

    5) You just need a local friendly clueful asterisk expert :)

    Tim

    Tim, Jul 18, 2006
  12. Les Desser

    Les Desser Guest

    In article <44bd3b01$0$775$>, Tim
    <> Tue, 18 Jul 2006 20:48:16 writes

    >5) You just need a local friendly clueful asterisk expert :)

    That probably is the hardest bit. Personally I am the zero stage for
    both Asterisk and Linux.

    That is why I would go for the KXTD30 switchboard solution if only I
    could be sure that it could do the job. May be less flexible but our
    needs are precisely definable and if a solution fits then we need no
    more.

    Just thought of an other potential problem with a PC based system -
    extended power cuts. While these are rare, we do get them. The last
    one was under a year ago and lasted several hours (fortunately in the
    night).

    Short of a diesel generator or very expensive UPS, we could not keep a
    PC alive that long. Whereas a switchboard would last 24 hours or more
    on a small UPS.

    Les Desser, Jul 18, 2006
  13. Les Desser

    alexd Guest

    Les Desser wrote:

    > The 8 outgoing lines are via PSTN. The actual switchboard location is
    > un-manned. The operators are housewives at home doing duty rota hours
    > but it is necessary for all phones to ring so that if the duty operator
    > cannot answer then someone else will pick up.
    >
    > The ISDN card for £250 - how many channels per card?

    A single port PRI card can handle up to 30 channels. I'm using a Sangoma
    A101 here, but it's the only one I've ever used so I can't say if it's
    better or otherwise than other stuff on the market.

    > We would only need one or two phones for occasional use. Presumably
    > need a card for that.

    It would be easier to get a couple of ethernet phones than installing
    another card.

    > How many cards (of all sorts) would we need? Would they all fit in a
    > standard PC? If not how does one add extra cards?

    Just the one I reckon. Usually when one gets to the point of needing more
    channels than a PC full of quad-port PRI cards can handle, one is using
    multiple clustered asterisk systems anyway. Not sure why I've started
    saying 'one'. Perhaps it's the lack of coffee.

    > The PC as such is not a problem. As a computer consultant I have
    > several spare Dell servers available. Ditto for UPS. My zero knowledge
    > of Linux is a problem.
    >
    > Backups of the recording would be via ADSL to my own servers.

    If your asterisk box has an internet connection, it could send backups to
    you overnight easily enough.

    > Thanks for the tip about PoE for the phones.

    It's completely irrelevant if all your phones are remote!

    To be honest, if the site with the PBX is unmanned anyway, why not just get
    your asterisk box co-located? That takes care of any power issues
    [hopefully] and it won't make any difference to your ability to administer
    the system as it can all be done with SSH and HTTP.

    --
    <http://ale.cx/> (AIM:troffasky) ()
    08:36:38 up 6 days, 23:16, 3 users, load average: 0.03, 0.03, 0.00

    alexd, Jul 19, 2006
  14. Les Desser

    mindblend Guest

    > Les Desser wrote:

    > Yes, it isn't that the VoIP bit isn't robust enough. It is the ADSL
    > that provides the IP that isn't robust enough.

    Completely agreed. An alternative is to get SDSL, which is far more
    robust and comes with an SLA.

    mindblend, Jul 19, 2006
  15. mindblend wrote:
    >> Les Desser wrote:

    >> Yes, it isn't that the VoIP bit isn't robust enough. It is the ADSL
    >> that provides the IP that isn't robust enough.

    > Completely agreed. An alternative is to get SDSL, which is far more
    > robust and comes with an SLA.

    I's a shame SDSL costs so much money.

    Thomas Kenyon, Jul 19, 2006
  16. Les Desser

    Guest

    On Tue, 18 Jul 2006 18:31:48 +0100, Les Desser
    <> wrote:

    >Unfortunately we cannot accept VoIP as a robust enough solution (sorry
    >for posting to a VoIP group)

    Well, that rather rules out the use of Asterisk, which only does VOIP,
    and it will rule out BT from the year after next: what they call "21st
    Century Networks" is just VOIP by another name.

    Frankly, I think you need to rethink your approach. No phone system is
    100% reliable, and by boomeranging the calls just to be able to record
    them is going to reduce the reliability way below what you would get
    with VOIP.

    To summarise: you are stuffed. What you want cannot be done.

    , Jul 19, 2006
  17. Les Desser

    Les Desser Guest

    In article <>, alexd <> Wed, 19 Jul
    2006 08:04:51 writes

    >To be honest, if the site with the PBX is unmanned anyway, why not just
    >get your asterisk box co-located? That takes care of any power issues
    >[hopefully] and it won't make any difference to your ability to
    >administer the system as it can all be done with SSH and HTTP.

    Now that is a thought! It would certainly improve the resilience.
    Costs on the other hand are likely to be on the high side. Definitely
    something to think about. Thanks.

    Les Desser, Jul 19, 2006
  18. Les Desser

    Les Desser Guest

    In article <>,
    mindblend <> Wed, 19 Jul 2006 01:12:04 writes

    >> Les Desser wrote:

    >> Yes, it isn't that the VoIP bit isn't robust enough. It is the ADSL
    >> that provides the IP that isn't robust enough.

    >Completely agreed. An alternative is to get SDSL, which is far more
    >robust and comes with an SLA.

    The eight operators would have to be on ADSL for cost reasons, but I
    suppose there should be enough redundancy to cover all but the loss of
    the whole BT exchange

    Les Desser, Jul 19, 2006
  19. Les Desser

    Les Desser Guest

    In article <>,
    Wed, 19 Jul 2006 13:47:19 writes

    >Well, that rather rules out the use of Asterisk, which only does VOIP

    Is that really so?

    Surely it could route PSTN to PSTN also.

    Les Desser, Jul 19, 2006
  20. Les Desser

    Guest

    On Wed, 19 Jul 2006 14:29:42 +0100, Les Desser
    <> wrote:

    >>Well, that rather rules out the use of Asterisk, which only does VOIP

    >Is that really so?
    >
    >Surely it could route PSTN to PSTN also.

    Yes, but it converts the stuff to data in between the PSTN legs so
    although it may note be strictly "OIP" it is near enough.

    , Jul 19, 2006