AST Premium Exec vintage laptops - need help with power adapter

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Ernie Werbel, Jul 28, 2006.

  1. Ernie Werbel

    Ernie Werbel Guest

    I have a couple of vintage AST Premium Exec laptops that I need help with.
    The first one, a 386SX/20, was given to me by a friend. It did not come
    with a power adapter. So I found another one on eBay, a 386SX/25 that did
    come with a power adapter, and ended up getting it for $11 with the
    shipping. Not a bad deal. Ok so the one I purchased had a pin stuck in one
    of the holes of the socket, so the seller never tested it. I got it out and
    plugged it in and the LED on the power adapter illuminates, so I think it is
    good. However the laptop (the one from eBay) does not turn on. I tried the
    adapter in the other laptop and that didn't work, either. I can't imagine
    both laptops would be bad but I guess it is a possibility, although my
    friend said his worked when it was last used. Could this perhaps be the
    wrong power adapter? The seller listed it with a $2 buy-it-now and was
    mostly selling home decor, so I don't think this was their area of
    expertise... so it could have been the wrong voltage. It says Model EPA36,
    11V. I'm hoping I did not fry the laptops! Perhaps someone can verify the
    correct model number power adapter that goes with these computers? Any help
    would be greatly appreciated. I am hoping I can get at least one of the
    retro laptops working within a month for use at college, so I can be really
    geeky!

    Ernie Werbel, Jul 28, 2006