    getting the laptop setup to access this printer (located on the desktop
    machine) through the main machine on the router.

    KC

    KC, Nov 27, 2005

  2. KC

    Mike Roberts Guest

    KC wrote:
    > I've setup wi-fi (802.11b) and accessing internet through router OK, BUT
    > when trying to setup my brother printer on the work laptop I'm informed the
    > drivers are wrong. Brother F.A.Q. is no help. Anyone know a technique for
    > getting the laptop setup to access this printer (located on the desktop
    > machine) through the main machine on the router.
    >
    > KC

    how is the printer connected to the desktop computer??

    Mike Roberts, Nov 27, 2005

  3. KC

    KC Guest

    Sorry Mike, forgot to mention that it is the Brother MFC 3420C connected to
    the desktop via USB.

    Thanks for our interest.

    KC, Nov 28, 2005
  4. Hi
    The Brother's 3420C is All in One printer+fax+scanner. In general it is much
    better to get All in One units that is Network capable, since some of the
    functions of All in One might be Not Sharable.
    May be this can
    Help,http://global.solutions.brother.com/Library/en_us/download/dlf000638/mf
    c3420c_as_31_23.html
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Nov 28, 2005
  5. I assume the PC can print to the printer? This would detail that the printer
    is setup correctly.

    After you share the printer, you can go into the properties of the printer
    (do this on the PC, not the laptop), on the Sharing Tab, click Additional
    Drivers. Then check the boxes for the drivers you wish to have installed.
    Also make sure the Windows Firewall on the PC is not blocking the laptop from
    connecting to it.

    Now from the laptop, click on Start > Run. Type in \\nameofpc and press
    Enter. You should see the printer you want to install. Double click the
    printer and it should install for you.
    --
    --------
    Ryan

    =?Utf-8?B?VGVjaGRhbmdv?=, Nov 28, 2005
  6. KC

    KC Guest

    TD, Thanks for your accurate portrayal of the way it should work. Tried
    it with four different downloads of drivers from Brother and they did not
    work. So went back the CD, which didn't work before on the laptop, this
    time it did work by getting the files from the Canadian instead of USA
    directory.

    Thanks guys for the good advice.

    KC

    KC, Nov 28, 2005