Assigning local user static address via VPDN?

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Vinny Abello, Dec 6, 2003.

  1. Vinny Abello

    Vinny Abello Guest

    Hello all,

    I have a Cisco 1720 router that I am trying to have a "tunnel" created
    to two other routers, both Netopia R4541's. All of them are on the
    same network and I don't need or want encryption to slow down the
    transfer rate. The best solution seemed to be using PPTP to connect
    them together as that is the only protocol they both support besides
    IPSec which would likely kill the performance greatly.

    I have PPTP dialin configured on the 1720 and it works fine if I tell
    the 1720 what IP address I want to use by specifying it on the client
    side (I am testing with a Windows client currently). This will
    probably work ok for my setup as I can have the Netopia tell the Cisco
    what address it would like instead of having it assigned, but I would
    very much like to associate a static address that is assigned with
    each username configured on the Cisco 1720. I've been looking for some
    time now and can't seem to find a way to do this. Is this even
    possible and if so, how would you go about it? RADIUS is not going to
    be used in this situation. It has to be self contained authentication
    in the router. I'm running IOS 12.3(3). Any help or suggestions would
    be greatly appreciated.

    Secondly, I think I'll be ok doing this, but I was going to set static
    routes on the Cisco for the remote site's assigned netblocks pointing
    to the IP address that gets assigned to the dialin client (if I can
    get that to work, otherwise, the address the client requests to use).
    Is there a way to not assign an address to each router dialing in via
    PPTP and just establish a PPTP tunnel? The Netopias seem to be able to
    do this with each other as I've set it up multiple times.

    Again, thanks in advance for any suggestions.

    Vinny Abello, Dec 6, 2003