    and it finds the hard drive as local h, and the others mixed. How do I fix
    this?
    Thanks,
    Blaze, Jun 23, 2005

  2. Blaze

    old jon Guest

    "Blaze" <> wrote in message
    news:HIxue.4937$PZ6.2766@trndny08...
    >I am currently using a Western Digital 20gig hard drive and I'm upgrading
    >to a Western Digital 80 gig. I run XP Pro. I have installed a zip drive, a
    >cd burner, a cd rom, and floppy. These devices are assigned their
    >appropriate drive letter with the hard drive being local c as it should. I
    >unplug the 20 gig, plug in the 80 gig using the the same jumper settings
    >and window OS, and it finds the hard drive as local h, and the others
    >mixed. How do I fix this?
    > Thanks,

    Rt click on my computer, Manage\Disc management and reassign drive letters
    to what you want. If the 80 is your new C: you might have to move one of the
    others out of the way (reassign it`s drive letter). Bear in mind these
    changes are recorded in the registry.
    best wishes..J
    old jon, Jun 23, 2005

  3. Blaze

    Blaze Guest

    Thanks for the reply. I'll give that a try.

    Blaze, Jun 23, 2005
  4. Blaze wrote:

    > I am currently using a Western Digital 20gig hard drive and I'm upgrading
    > to a Western Digital 80 gig. I run XP Pro. I have installed a zip drive, a
    > cd burner, a cd rom, and floppy. These devices are assigned their
    > appropriate drive letter with the hard drive being local c as it should. I
    > unplug the 20 gig, plug in the 80 gig using the the same jumper settings
    > and window OS, and it finds the hard drive as local h, and the others
    > mixed. How do I fix this?

    You cannot transfer a running OS to another harddrive. Use ghost, driveimage
    or a knoppix cd and "dd", later on windows drive manager to partition the
    remainder of your drive.
    If you just want to add the drive, you can as well use the drive management
    tool to assign your drive letters (rightclick on a partition/device and
    chose the obvious).

    Linux woodpecker.homnet.at 2.6.11-mm4[LinuxCounter#295241,ICQ#4918962]
    Walter Mautner, Jun 23, 2005
  5. Blaze

    Capt Morgan

    Joined:
    Oct 31, 2012
    Messages:
    2
    Assigning Drive Letters Using Command Prompt / DOS

    Open Command Prompt.

    Type:

    diskpart

    At the DISKPART prompt, type:

    list volume

    Make note of the number of the volume whose drive letter you want to assign or change

    At the next DISKPART prompt, type:

    select volume X

    Substitute the drive letter you want to assign or change for X

    At the next DISKPART prompt, type one of the following:

    assign letter=Y

    Where Y is the new drive letter you want to assign or change.

    Capt Morgan, Oct 31, 2012