    Can anyone think of what might be causing the problem? Besides him
    expediting his trip down the stairs that is? =)

    Kyote
    Kyote, Nov 18, 2007

  2. Kyote

    Paul Guest

    Kyote wrote:
    > My brother gave me his broken laptop. He was coming down his stairs at
    > his home and tripped, while carrying his new laptop. The screen is
    > shattered and torn off. But the rest of the computer seems to work
    > just fine if I connect a regular monitor. Except for 1 thing. The
    > screen is fuzzy.
    >
    > If I use remote desktop everything is perfectly fine. But then that's
    > using my home computers graphics card to see everything with. It
    > almost seems like the computer thinks it's using a laptop screen and
    > is fuzzing it in a way to make it clear on such a screen... or maybe
    > that's just my hopeful thinking... lol
    >
    > It's a really really nice laptop and I'd love to get it work with one
    > of my external monitors.
    >
    > Can anyone think of what might be causing the problem? Besides him
    > expediting his trip down the stairs that is? =)
    >
    > Kyote

    Would this be it ?

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cleartype

    Paul
    Paul, Nov 18, 2007

  3. Kyote

    Kyote Guest

    Thank you for the reply Paul. No, that does not appear to be the
    problem. After reading your reply I went and got the MS Cleartype tool
    after reading some about Clear Type and it didn't make any
    improvements to the fuzziness.

    Any other ideas on what to try?

    Kyote

    Kyote, Nov 18, 2007
  4. Kyote

    Paul Guest

    Kyote wrote:
    > Thank you for the reply Paul. No, that does not appear to be the
    > problem. After reading your reply I went and got the MS Cleartype tool
    > after reading some about Clear Type and it didn't make any
    > improvements to the fuzziness.
    >
    > Any other ideas on what to try?

    Is the external monitor an LCD, or is it a CRT ?

    If it is an LCD, the output resolution of the laptop VGA output,
    should be set to match the native resolution of the monitor.
    For example, my LCD is a 1280x1024, and right now my computer
    is set to drive it at 1280x1024, for best clarity. If I drive
    the monitor at 1048x768, it won't be as clear.

    Paul

    Paul, Nov 19, 2007
  5. Kyote

    Kyote Guest

    All my monitors are CRT's
    ---
    Kyote
    Kyote, Nov 19, 2007
  6. Kyote

    Paul Guest

    Kyote wrote:
    > All my monitors are CRT's
    > ---
    > Kyote

    I've been racking my brain, trying to think of a mechanism to
    mess up the signals, and I cannot think of any really good
    credible ones.

    The RGB signals start at the GPU. Outside of the GPU, they are
    filtered by some EMI filter networks. If a series element in the
    filter were to snap in half, you'd get no signal on that color
    (and all the colors on the screen would be wrong). If a parallel
    element in the filter were damaged, either the signal would be
    shorted out, or in fact the signal would look better than usual.
    (The EMI filter degrades the picture a bit.)

    Once past the filter, the RGB signals have to be maintained in a
    75 ohm environment. You've probably seen symptoms before on a CRT<
    where this was not met. For example, if the connectors or VGA cable
    are not exactly 75 ohms, you may see a slight "ghosting" of the
    image.

    A lot of the other degradations on a CRT, are at the CRT itself.
    Non-linear sweep, twisting of the image rectangle on the screen,
    these are all properties of the CRT design. Those kinds of defects
    get worse at the higher resolution settings.

    The other signals of importance are H and V. Those are the horizontal
    and vertical synchronization signals. They time when the beam on the
    CRT should retrace. H fires a lot more frequently than V.

    If the edge rate of H or V were degraded (slower than normal), I suppose
    you could get some slicing jitter. But I'm not 100% certain what
    synchronization degradation would even look like - if the signals
    fail completely, you'd see, perhaps, a rolling picture on the CRT
    (like on an old TV set). For other types of failures (jitter related),
    maybe the lower right hand corner of the screen would be fuzzier than
    the upper left, for example.

    Sorry I cannot help further. The scheme should be relatively bulletproof,
    as these things go.

    An alternative solution, for video output, would be to buy a PCcard video
    or a USB video device. There are very few of those around, and the
    output resolution and performance are not very good. The only positive
    aspect they'd give you, is a clear image. But the screen updates would
    be relatively slow, and not worth the money.

    Paul
    Paul, Nov 20, 2007
  7. Kyote

    Kyote Guest

    WOW!! You know quite a bit about video. Thank you very much for all
    your help Paul.

    I can just keep using it more as a server and remote system. Using it
    this way it looks just fine and it's speed and storage come in handy.

    Happy Thanksgiving to you Mate

    ---
    Kyote

    AMD Athlon 64 3000+ (NewCastle) Socket 754
    MSI K8T Neo (MS-6702)
    DDR, PC3200 (200 MHz), 512 MBytes, Infineon
    Adapter : PNY TNT 32mb? (PNY ASSY NO. TNT26432SPCI)reported as Standard VGA

    Graphics Adapter
    Adapter : NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200
    WDC WD600BB-00CAA1 (ATA) : 56GB (F:)
    WDC WD800JD-22JNA0 (SATA) : 75GB (C:)
    PLEXTOR DVDR PX-712A (ATAPI) : N/A (D:)
    HL-DT-ST CD-ROM GCR-8523B (ATAPI) : N/A (E:)
    Microsoft Windows XP (2003) Professional 5.02.3790 (Service Pack 2) Win64 x64
    Realtek RTL8169/8110 Family Gigabit Ethernet NIC
    Creative SB Audigy 2 ZS (WDM)
    430W PS 12v/18a 5v/33a 3.3v/25a
    Kyote, Nov 21, 2007