    could anyone tell me why this acer aspire laptop OS XP won't keep the
    realtek ethernet NIC program in memory....I have to enable it each time I
    boot up Thanks
    lurk, Apr 18, 2010

  2. lurk

    Mike Easter Guest

    lurk wrote:
    > could anyone tell me why this acer aspire laptop OS XP won't keep the
    > realtek ethernet NIC program in memory....I have to enable it each time I
    > boot up

    Maybe you should disable the wireless.

    I have an XP DT desktop with both ethernet and wireless, and I disabled
    the wireless when I'm not using it.

    You didn't say anything about how you have your tcp/ip for the adapter
    configured in network properties - does it obtain an IP address
    automatically?

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Apr 18, 2010

  3. lurk

    lurk Guest

    it connects and I see it light up on my at&t modem but won't get out to the
    internet.....the set up on the aspire is very simple...I tried everything to
    get it on the net....
    lurk, Apr 18, 2010
  4. lurk

    lurk Guest

    It's a 2 wire at&t wireless modem.....it seems to work with other wireless
    laptops though...so I think it has to be in the Acer aspire 5050
    lurk, Apr 18, 2010
  5. lurk

    lurk Guest

    lol...I was expecting to get blasted .....oh well thanks anyway....I should
    just get a recovery disk and format it.....thanks
    lurk, Apr 19, 2010
  6. lurk

    chuckcar Guest

    "lurk" <> wrote in

    > could anyone tell me why this acer aspire laptop OS XP won't keep
    > the realtek ethernet NIC program in memory....I have to enable it each
    > time I boot up Thanks

    Ignore meathead. He's still pissed Archie made more money than he did.

    Don't use a wireless connection to the internet if you can at all avoid
    it. Or failing that make sure that the signal strength between the card
    and your modem is sufficient. Clearly not the case here. Either sit
    closer and without a wall between you or use a NIC cable. There are very
    severe security problems with wireless internet that most people have no
    clue about as well. Two cases in point: war drivers stealing peoples
    internet use and the recent rash of stolen credit card information from
    retail stores.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )
    chuckcar, Apr 19, 2010
  7. lurk

    Aardvark Guest

    Who the **** are you talking to and what the **** are you talking about?

    Aardvark, Apr 19, 2010
  8. Evan Platt wrote:
    > On Sun, 18 Apr 2010 23:37:32 +0000 (UTC), chuckcar <>
    > wrote:

    <snip>
    >> There are very severe security problems with wireless internet that most people have no
    >> clue about as well. Two cases in point: war drivers stealing peoples
    >> internet use and the recent rash of stolen credit card information from
    >> retail stores.

    > ...From unsecured Wireless.

    Actually, that's exactly happened at TJMaxx. IIRC, someone put an
    unauthorized, defaulted AP on the network at their central location, and
    some wardriver just stumbled upon it. A little bit of poking around on
    a wide open network, and they cost the company an estimated $40 million.

    http://preview.tinyurl.com/6mk7tz

    n0i
    thund3rstruck, Apr 19, 2010