    I've been looking for ASPI for XP x64 but haven't been able to find it. My
    converter programs won't work without it. Does anyone know where I can find
    it?
    Denise, Jun 26, 2008

  2. I am not sure about this issue but here's a link with some sort of guide
    that may help, or lead you further on:

    http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/aspisetup.cfm

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Jun 26, 2008

  3. Denise

    Jim Guest

    On Jun 26, 12:03 am, Denise <> wrote:
    > I've been looking for ASPI for XP x64 but haven't been able to find it.  My
    > converter programs won't work without it.  Does anyone know where I can find
    > it?

    Denise,

    I don't know as much as most other group members, but it was my
    understanding that ASPI is built in to XP. It was only Windows 98 and
    below which required a separate install of ASPI.

    Adaptec had a ASPI installer check, but I'm not sure it is still
    there.

    Jim
    Jim, Jun 26, 2008
  4. Denise

    Denise Guest

    "Jim" wrote:

    > On Jun 26, 12:03 am, Denise <> wrote:
    > > I've been looking for ASPI for XP x64 but haven't been able to find it. My
    > > converter programs won't work without it. Does anyone know where I can find
    > > it?

    > Denise,
    >
    > I don't know as much as most other group members, but it was my
    > understanding that ASPI is built in to XP. It was only Windows 98 and
    > below which required a separate install of ASPI.
    >
    > Adaptec had a ASPI installer check, but I'm not sure it is still
    > there.
    >
    > Jim

    If it's built into XP Pro x64, my programs aren't seeing it. Whenever I try
    to run a video program, it tells me that ASPI is missing. I've looked all
    over the internet. I've found ASPI for Vista but not XP Pro x64 or even XP
    x64. Thanks for replying.

    Denise, Jun 26, 2008
  5. Thomas Scheidegger, Jun 26, 2008
  6. Denise

    David Guest

    Just be aware that the Adaptec 64-bit version mentioned, is for "Windows XP
    Professional x64 Edition' on Itanium Systems (IA64)".
    It is *not* for 'Windows XP Professional x64 Edition' on AMD64/Intel EM64T
    chips. The x64 driver will appear to install, but will not load.

    David, Jun 27, 2008
  7. Ah, a most valuable contribution!

    Thanks David!

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Jun 27, 2008
  8. Denise

    Denise Guest

    It's been very hard for me to reach this forum and, when I get her, I usually
    can't respond so I hope this goes thru. The link in the email that I receive
    doesn't work either. This started happening a few months ago.

    Ok, I appreciate your advice Thomas, but I'm not sure if I'm completely
    understanding what you're saying. What I read, from you and the link
    provided, I can download ASPI but it won't install because I have an athlon
    processor? Is there no alternative?

    Denise, Jun 27, 2008
  9. Denise

    Denise Guest

    I tried ASPI 4.71.a.2 but it didn't work. I received a message that says
    that it's not intended for a machine with my type of os.
    --
    Denise

    Denise, Jun 27, 2008
  10. Denise

    Denise Guest

    It seems that Vista x64 has been the chosen os and XP Pro x64 is almost being
    ignored by most software and hardware manufacturers. I'm very seriously
    thinking about switching to Vista x64. I had the opportunity to do so
    several months ago when a tab on my DVD ROM drive broke and my XP Pro X64 was
    shattered into pieces. I bought a new DVD ROM drive and another XP Pro X64
    disk, thinking that it would just take time for XP Pro x64 to gain more
    ground, but it didn't.

    Thank you, everyone, for your advice.

    Denise
    Denise, Jun 27, 2008
  11. Denise

    David Guest

    Forgot to mention this earlier. The x32 version from Adaptec will also
    *NOT* function on XP x64 for AMD/Intel chips - it will once again fail to
    load, being incompatible.

    Most programs that need ASPI look for WNAPI32.DLL in the ..\System32\
    folder. I've been able to successfully fudge this under XP x64 by the
    following means:
    I have the basic functions of Nero 7 installed and this includes ASPI, but
    it is not installed in '..Windows\System32\' or '...\Windows\SysWow64\',
    but rather in the folder '...\Nero 7\Core\'. In that folder, find the file
    called WNAPSI32.DLL and copy this into the '...\Windows\SysWow64\' folder.
    When I next ran the two programs I have that needed ASPI, they loaded and
    functioned without problems.

    Hope this helps in some small way.
    David
    ..

    David, Jun 27, 2008
  12. Denise

    Denise Guest

    This may be a very good solution. I have Nero 7 and just copied the file to
    the WOW folder. I'll let you know what happens. At this point, I don't
    believe there's an ASPI for XP Pro x64. Thanks for your unique solution.
    --
    Denise

    Denise, Jun 27, 2008
  13. Denise

    Denise Guest

    What do you think of this? . . .

    SCSI Pass Through Direct - SPTD v1.56 (64 bit) [1.0 MB]

    "SPTD is a new method of access to storage devices. Basically SPTD is
    similar to other access layers used by other programs (eg. ASPI from Adaptec,
    or standard SPTI from Microsoft) who provide access to storage devices but it
    has a lot more features that make this interface unique. The key feature of
    SPTD is its ability to provide direct control of devices without risk of
    compromising it by some malicious 3rd party filter drivers or other "rootkit"
    applications that are common today."

    http://www.cdmediaworld.com/hardware/cdrom/cd_utils_5.shtml
    --
    Denise

    Denise, Jun 27, 2008
  14. Denise

    David Guest

    Denise,

    Since you didn't see my earlier warning about the Adaptec 'Itanium x64'
    driver in time, you'll probably now have load errors in your System Event
    Log at every boot. You'll need to get the two files and a registry entry
    out to prevent these. Adaptec don't provide an uninstall, so I'm afraid
    you'll have to get your hands dirty with a manual hack.

    The Adaptec installation will have put two files into your system:
    '...\Windows\System32\WNASPI32.DLL'
    '...\Windows\System32\Drivers\ASPI32.SYS'
    Both of these files will probably have dates from July 2002. Also double
    check the '...\Windows\SysWOW64\...' and '...\Windows\SysWOW64\drivers\'
    locations to make sure they didn't also go there.

    The registry key will try to load ASPI32.SYS at each boot, so you need to
    remove the key:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\APSI32\

    NOTE: The usual dire warnings about registry editing apply!

    Hope you get the problem solved!
    David

    David, Jun 27, 2008
  15. Denise

    David Guest

    Denise,

    I installed SPTD (v1.56 x64) in the past as part of Daemon Tools (to create
    a CD/DVD-ROM drive emulator) and it appeared to work under XP Pro x64.
    However, Daemon Tools caused me some reliability problems with burning
    CD/DVD discs, so I removed it.

    I can't now remember what SPTD does install, but I don't think it puts a
    WNASPI32.DLL file on the system, and it is this specific filename that many
    older applications (written for the Adaptec driver) look for. SPTD does
    uninstall, so you could give it a try.

    David

    David, Jun 27, 2008
  16. Denise

    Denise Guest

    I have a BenQ DW1655 Lightscribe. I was told that I should never update the
    drivers for the BenQ. If I installed SPTD, would it change its drivers or
    software?
    --
    Denise

    Denise, Jun 27, 2008
  17. Denise

    David Guest

    I don't believe it will, but have no experience of the Benq writer. My HP
    workstation came with an HP Lightscribe drive, but I removed that and
    replaced it with a pair of Plextors.
    I'm surprised you've been told to 'never update' the lightscribe drivers,
    since HP regularly issue updated Lightscribe drivers for their products.
    The mentioned 'reliability problems with burning CD/DVD discs' that I had,
    were more due to Daemon Tools.

    David

    David, Jun 27, 2008
  18. Denise

    Jim Guest

    On Jun 26, 7:21 pm, Denise <> wrote:
    > It seems that Vista x64 has been the chosen os and XP Pro x64 is almost being
    > ignored by most software and hardware manufacturers.  I'm very seriously
    > thinking about switching to Vista x64.  I had the opportunity to do so
    > several months ago when a tab on my DVD ROM drive broke and my XP Pro X64 was
    > shattered into pieces.  I bought a new DVD ROM drive and another XP Pro X64
    > disk, thinking that it would just take time for XP Pro x64 to gain more
    > ground, but it didn't.
    >
    > Thank you, everyone, for your advice.
    >
    > Denise

    Denise,

    I *did* switch from x64 to Vista 64-bit *precisely* because I could
    not find programs that would work in x64 yet more and more new
    versions were being released for Vista 64-bit. Two clear examples are
    iTunes, which does not work in x64, but is supposed to work in Vista
    64-bit (I do not actually use it.). The most important was CyberLink
    CyberLink PowerDVD Blu-ra, which I actually *do* use. They claim,
    incorrectly so it turns out, that they do not support x64, but they do
    support Vista 64-bit. My Okidata printer also has more drivers for
    Vista 64-bit. Overall, the switch is not too difficult to make, but I
    hate Visa. It takes almost twice as much space on my RAID array
    (almost 250 GB) for reasons I do *not* understand. Also my EMC
    Retrospect does *not* work as well under Vista.

    I hope you find this useful.

    Jim
    Jim, Jun 27, 2008
  19. Denise

    R. C. White Guest

    Hi, Denise.

    > It's been very hard for me to reach this forum and, when I get her, I
    > usually
    > can't respond so I hope this goes thru.

    Click here:

    That one click should start your news reader (OE or WM or WLM or
    third-party); create a News Account for the Microsoft public news server,
    which is free and does not require a logon; connect you to THIS newsgroup;
    download the 300 newest posts; and display the latest one in the Reading
    Pane. In other words, it should bring you right back HERE, reading the same
    posts, but in a different format. Later, you can customize OE/WM/WLM in
    many ways to suit you better.

    Most of us who use these newsgroups regularly prefer the newsreader
    interface to a web-based browser such as Internet Explorer. On the web,
    Microsoft calls this a Microsoft Community (or a discussion group), but it
    really is a Usenet newsgroup. We see the same content either way, but the
    interface is much better in a newsreader, in my opinion.

    Try it. I think you'll like it. ;<)

    RC
    --
    R. C. White, CPA
    San Marcos, TX

    Microsoft Windows MVP

    "Denise" <> wrote in message
    > It's been very hard for me to reach this forum and, when I get her, I
    > usually
    > can't respond so I hope this goes thru. The link in the email that I
    > receive
    > doesn't work either. This started happening a few months ago.
    >
    > Ok, I appreciate your advice Thomas, but I'm not sure if I'm completely
    > understanding what you're saying. What I read, from you and the link
    > provided, I can download ASPI but it won't install because I have an
    > athlon
    > processor? Is there no alternative?

    <SNIP>
    R. C. White, Jun 27, 2008
  20. Denise

    Denise Guest

    The wording of the advice that I received was "don't ever change the drivers
    for the BenQ because it will be reduced to a desktop paperweight." There
    might be a difference between updating drivers for the BenQ and updating the
    Lightscribe driver, I don't know. I haven't used it for burning except for
    an executable file of my drivers and to install software that I received with
    hardware. For now, I'll leave it as it is until I've gained some experience
    with it.
    --
    Denise

    Denise, Jun 27, 2008