    I have to buy another one with that feature ? This problem for me is
    rilevant only for 2.35:1 aspect ratio , of course !

    Thanks to all

    Andrea, Jan 14, 2004

  2. >I have a dvd player standalone and I was wondering if I could switch the
    >image from letterbox format (2.35:1 , very boring to see on a 4:3 TV screen)
    >to another one more wide or also a full screen format! (even if I lose a
    >small part of the image!)

    First off, you really ought to get used to those black bars. They are there
    for a reason, which is to allow a wide frame to fit width-wise on a 4:3 video
    screen. Seeing the frame in its proper dimensions allows the picture to play a
    better part at communicating the story with the audience along with the other
    key components in a motion picture.

    Typically with 2.35:1 material, to make it full-screen requires panning and
    scanning, which costs you around 50% of the picture. That's half your viewable
    frame of the film, which is much more than merely "a small part of the image."

    One thing you can do to help you get used to it is pay attention to the movie
    itself. Pay attention to the characters, music, story, and emotions rather
    than allowing yourself to be distracted by a relatively minor and highly
    ignorable annoyance.

    Anyways, if you are adamant at getting those bars off the screen and lighting
    up every pixel, then if your player has it, you can try to zoom in on the
    frame. However, in addition to losing a significant percentage of the viewable
    frame, you also will not have the benefit of watching the film without missing
    something in the image, including details that you would have to see in order
    to understand what's going on, but would not be able to when watching movies in
    this way.

    You can also go to the screen settings on your DVD player and set it to display
    in 16x9. This turns off anamorphic downconversion and allows a widescreen DVD
    to have stretched video, thereby filling your screen. But you will still see
    black bars with 2.35:1 aspect ratio material. Also, the picture will look
    vertically stretched, which puts everything on the screen out of shape. Plus,
    this only "works" if you are playing anamorphic DVDs. This will not work with
    non-anamorphic widescreen DVDs, so you're going to see black bars on those
    kinds of discs whether you like it or not.

    Setting the DVD player to pan&scan mode using the picture settings typically
    does nothing as almost all widescreen DVDs produced do not support in-player
    panning and scanning. - Reinhart

    LASERandDVDfan, Jan 15, 2004

  3. Andrea

    Andrea Guest

    Hi,
    thanks for your answer !
    I know that the "bars" are necessary to fit width-wise on a 4:3 video.
    I don't expect to watch the movie on a full screen! All I was trying to do
    is to find a compromise solution in order to make watching the movies more
    comfortable. So ok the bars (but not very large !) and I can accept to lose
    also a part of the image.
    To do so I should zoom the frame, isn't it ? My dvd player is a Sony DVP -
    NS305 and I don't think it could have this feature so I should buy a new one
    ? Right ? Can you confirm all of this ?

    Thank you vey much

    Andrea

    "Andrea" <> ha scritto nel messaggio
    > Hi to all,
    > I have a dvd player standalone and I was wondering if I could switch the
    > image from letterbox format (2.35:1 , very boring to see on a 4:3 TV

    screen)
    > to another one more wide or also a full screen format! (even if I lose a
    > small part of the image!)
    >
    > Why I can do that with my dvd player on PC (with a software player as

    winDVD

    Andrea, Jan 15, 2004
  4. Andrea

    Shrivel Guest

    "Andrea" <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    > thanks for your answer !
    > I know that the "bars" are necessary to fit width-wise on a 4:3 video.
    > I don't expect to watch the movie on a full screen! All I was trying to do
    > is to find a compromise solution in order to make watching the movies more
    > comfortable. So ok the bars (but not very large !) and I can accept to

    lose
    > also a part of the image.
    > To do so I should zoom the frame, isn't it ? My dvd player is a Sony DVP -
    > NS305 and I don't think it could have this feature so I should buy a new

    one
    > ? Right ? Can you confirm all of this ?

    Most DVD players have a zoom feature for doing just this. Check your manual
    and/or setup menus for your DVD player. Problem is that it's an "all or
    nothing" type thing - you'll either get a greatly zoomed in pic (losing
    nearly 50% of the picture with a 2.35:1 aspect film) with no bars or a
    completely letterboxed image. I don't know of any DVD players that will do
    a partial zoom (although that doesn't mean they don't exist).

    Shrivel, Jan 15, 2004
  5. Andrea

    Black Locust Guest

    In article <>,
    "Shrivel" <> wrote:

    > Most DVD players have a zoom feature for doing just this. Check your manual
    > and/or setup menus for your DVD player. Problem is that it's an "all or
    > nothing" type thing - you'll either get a greatly zoomed in pic (losing
    > nearly 50% of the picture with a 2.35:1 aspect film) with no bars or a
    > completely letterboxed image. I don't know of any DVD players that will do
    > a partial zoom (although that doesn't mean they don't exist).

    Uhm. My Panasonic DVD-S35 can zoom in at many different variables. Not
    that I actually use the stupid feature or anything.
    --
    BL

    Black Locust, Jan 16, 2004
  6. Andrea

    Andrea Guest

    thanks for your suggest. I agree with you about the "stupid" feature so I
    don't think I'm going to buy Panasonic dvd player.This is why I have Sony
    dvd player ...:))

    Andrew

    Andrea, Jan 16, 2004