Aspect Ratio 'dream program'

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Netmask, Aug 31, 2006.

  1. Netmask

    Netmask Guest

    Is there a program - for me a dream program either professional or consumer
    that will allow the following.

    A GUI program that allows in the video file domain working with files
    including MPEG2, what is possible with still image manipulation that many
    paint programs eg Paintshop Pro etc allow.

    You would be able to select the first frame, crop it with a simple crop tool
    as in PSP, apply this parameter to the entire movie or portion of as
    selected. Then like in PSP apply a specific aspect ratio, like 1.7777 or
    2.35 etc

    In other words all the manipulations available in PSP or Adobe etc but
    applied to video files - almost as if you had saved each frame as a separate
    tif or bmp file and then done a 'batch conversion' and then re-combined the
    individual files as frame...

    dreams dreams.......

    Netmask, Aug 31, 2006

  2. Netmask

    Ken Maltby Guest

    "Netmask" <> wrote in message
    > Is there a program - for me a dream program either professional or
    > consumer
    > that will allow the following.
    >
    > A GUI program that allows in the video file domain working with files
    > including MPEG2, what is possible with still image manipulation that many
    > paint programs eg Paintshop Pro etc allow.
    >
    > You would be able to select the first frame, crop it with a simple crop
    > tool
    > as in PSP, apply this parameter to the entire movie or portion of as
    > selected. Then like in PSP apply a specific aspect ratio, like 1.7777 or
    > 2.35 etc
    >

    > In other words all the manipulations available in PSP or Adobe etc but
    > applied to video files - almost as if you had saved each frame as a
    > separate
    > tif or bmp file and then done a 'batch conversion' and then re-combined
    > the
    > individual files as frame...
    >
    > dreams dreams.......

    You can do the specific cropping and setting the aspect
    ratios (pixel and display) for MPEG2 using an encoder.

    Check out the filters in TMPGEnc 4.0 XPress
    http://tmpgenc.pegasys-inc.com/en/product/te4xp.html

    http://tmpgenc.pegasys-inc.com/en/product/te4xp_feature.html

    But if you want to work with a GUI program in that area you
    should check out Wax2 (or whatever number it may be up to
    now), but you might want to have a stress test first to insure
    you can stand the aggravation.

    Luck;
    Ken

    Ken Maltby, Aug 31, 2006

  3. Netmask

    Ken Maltby Guest

    P.S. For Wax2 http://www.debugmode.com/wax/

    Ken Maltby, Aug 31, 2006
  4. Netmask

    Netmask Guest

    "Ken Maltby" <> wrote in message

    > "Netmask" <> wrote in message
    >> Is there a program - for me a dream program either professional or
    >> consumer
    >> that will allow the following.
    >>
    >> A GUI program that allows in the video file domain working with files
    >> including MPEG2, what is possible with still image manipulation that many
    >> paint programs eg Paintshop Pro etc allow.
    >>
    >> You would be able to select the first frame, crop it with a simple crop
    >> tool
    >> as in PSP, apply this parameter to the entire movie or portion of as
    >> selected. Then like in PSP apply a specific aspect ratio, like 1.7777 or
    >> 2.35 etc
    >>

    >> In other words all the manipulations available in PSP or Adobe etc but
    >> applied to video files - almost as if you had saved each frame as a
    >> separate
    >> tif or bmp file and then done a 'batch conversion' and then re-combined
    >> the
    >> individual files as frame...
    >>
    >> dreams dreams.......
    >>

    > You can do the specific cropping and setting the aspect
    > ratios (pixel and display) for MPEG2 using an encoder.
    >
    > Check out the filters in TMPGEnc 4.0 XPress
    > http://tmpgenc.pegasys-inc.com/en/product/te4xp.html
    >
    > http://tmpgenc.pegasys-inc.com/en/product/te4xp_feature.html
    >
    > But if you want to work with a GUI program in that area you
    > should check out Wax2 (or whatever number it may be up to
    > now), but you might want to have a stress test first to insure
    > you can stand the aggravation.
    >
    > Luck;
    > Ken

    Thanks for the info - unfortunately the computer that this will be used on
    is 500 miles away from the nearest telephone or cable internet (satellite
    phone comms only) - very much 'outback' so tmpgenc is not an option. Womble
    and Vegas 6 can do this okay but what I'm looking for is simple and a very
    specific crop and resize program via a grab the corner of the image to
    whatever size (with a readout indicating aspect ratio) ala most paint
    programs. Anyway thanks again Ken

    Netmask, Aug 31, 2006
  5. Netmask

    Ken Maltby Guest

    "Netmask" <> wrote in message

    > "Ken Maltby" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Netmask" <> wrote in message
    >>> Is there a program - for me a dream program either professional or
    >>> consumer
    >>> that will allow the following.
    >>>
    >>> A GUI program that allows in the video file domain working with files
    >>> including MPEG2, what is possible with still image manipulation that
    >>> many
    >>> paint programs eg Paintshop Pro etc allow.
    >>>
    >>> You would be able to select the first frame, crop it with a simple crop
    >>> tool
    >>> as in PSP, apply this parameter to the entire movie or portion of as
    >>> selected. Then like in PSP apply a specific aspect ratio, like 1.7777 or
    >>> 2.35 etc
    >>>

    >>> In other words all the manipulations available in PSP or Adobe etc but
    >>> applied to video files - almost as if you had saved each frame as a
    >>> separate
    >>> tif or bmp file and then done a 'batch conversion' and then re-combined
    >>> the
    >>> individual files as frame...
    >>>
    >>> dreams dreams.......
    >>>

    >> You can do the specific cropping and setting the aspect
    >> ratios (pixel and display) for MPEG2 using an encoder.
    >>
    >> Check out the filters in TMPGEnc 4.0 XPress
    >> http://tmpgenc.pegasys-inc.com/en/product/te4xp.html
    >>
    >> http://tmpgenc.pegasys-inc.com/en/product/te4xp_feature.html
    >>
    >> But if you want to work with a GUI program in that area you
    >> should check out Wax2 (or whatever number it may be up to
    >> now), but you might want to have a stress test first to insure
    >> you can stand the aggravation.
    >>
    >> Luck;
    >> Ken
    >>

    > Thanks for the info - unfortunately the computer that this will be used on
    > is 500 miles away from the nearest telephone or cable internet (satellite
    > phone comms only) - very much 'outback' so tmpgenc is not an option.
    > Womble and Vegas 6 can do this okay but what I'm looking for is simple and
    > a very specific crop and resize program via a grab the corner of the
    > image to whatever size (with a readout indicating aspect ratio) ala most
    > paint programs. Anyway thanks again Ken

    If your situation means you can't download anything then I don't
    see how we can help.

    http://www.videohelp.com/tools?tool=Aspect_2

    Use the "Advanced" option under the Aspect Ratio drop
    down.

    Luck;
    Ken

    Ken Maltby, Aug 31, 2006
  6. Netmask

    Netmask Guest

    "Ken Maltby" <> wrote in message

    > "Netmask" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Ken Maltby" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> "Netmask" <> wrote in message

    >>> You can do the specific cropping and setting the aspect
    >>> ratios (pixel and display) for MPEG2 using an encoder.
    >>>
    >>> Check out the filters in TMPGEnc 4.0 XPress
    >>> http://tmpgenc.pegasys-inc.com/en/product/te4xp.html
    >>>
    >>> http://tmpgenc.pegasys-inc.com/en/product/te4xp_feature.html
    >>>
    >>> But if you want to work with a GUI program in that area you
    >>> should check out Wax2 (or whatever number it may be up to
    >>> now), but you might want to have a stress test first to insure
    >>> you can stand the aggravation.
    >>>
    >>> Luck;
    >>> Ken
    >>>

    >> Thanks for the info - unfortunately the computer that this will be used
    >> on is 500 miles away from the nearest telephone or cable internet
    >> (satellite phone comms only) - very much 'outback' so tmpgenc is not an
    >> option. Womble and Vegas 6 can do this okay but what I'm looking for is
    >> simple and a very specific crop and resize program via a grab the corner
    >> of the image to whatever size (with a readout indicating aspect ratio)
    >> ala most paint programs. Anyway thanks again Ken
    >>

    > If your situation means you can't download anything then I don't
    > see how we can help.
    >
    > http://www.videohelp.com/tools?tool=Aspect_2
    >
    > Use the "Advanced" option under the Aspect Ratio drop
    > down.
    >
    > Luck;
    > Ken

    Thanks Ken - I'm in Sydney on cable internet but this request is for a
    group in Central Australia in a stand alone installation well away from
    civilisation.

    Netmask, Aug 31, 2006
  7. "Netmask" wrote ...
    > Thanks Ken - I'm in Sydney on cable internet but this request is for
    > a group in Central Australia in a stand alone installation well away
    > from civilisation.

    So download whatever at home and burn a CDR (or a USB
    "thumb drive") to send to your outpost

    I have only this one computer on the internet here at home.
    My audio and video editing systems are not connected.
    I frequently use that method even here with computers in
    the next room. Besides, burning a CDR isn't a bad way to
    keep the downloaed software handy to re-install or such.

    Richard Crowley, Aug 31, 2006
  8. Netmask

    Netmask Guest

    "Richard Crowley" <> wrote in message
    > "Netmask" wrote ...
    >> Thanks Ken - I'm in Sydney on cable internet but this request is for a
    >> group in Central Australia in a stand alone installation well away from
    >> civilisation.

    > So download whatever at home and burn a CDR (or a USB
    > "thumb drive") to send to your outpost
    >
    > I have only this one computer on the internet here at home.
    > My audio and video editing systems are not connected.
    > I frequently use that method even here with computers in
    > the next room. Besides, burning a CDR isn't a bad way to
    > keep the downloaed software handy to re-install or such.

    Doesn't work with TMPG - they require an active internet connection whilst
    you are using the program. It's a protection system for their software.

    Netmask, Sep 1, 2006
  9. "Netmask" wrote ...
    > Doesn't work with TMPG - they require an active internet connection whilst
    > you are using the program. It's a protection system for their software.

    Just Say No to spyware.

    Richard Crowley, Sep 1, 2006
  10. Netmask

    > "Netmask" wrote ...
    >> Doesn't work with TMPG - they require an active internet connection
    >> whilst you are using the program. It's a protection system for their
    >> software.

    > Just Say No to spyware.

    It's not spyware but a legitimate authenticating way of protecting a
    program; TMPG has a number of unique features that makes it an excellent
    program - it's just a pity that their method of protection excludes them
    from the Third World or where communications don't exist even in First World
    countries but then the market share would be so low, so why would they
    bother?

    Netmask, Sep 1, 2006
  11. "Netmask" wrote ...
    > "Richard Crowley" wrote ...
    >> "Netmask" wrote ...
    >>> Doesn't work with TMPG - they require an active internet connection
    >>> whilst you are using the program. It's a protection system for their
    >>> software.

    >> Just Say No to spyware.

    > It's not spyware but a legitimate authenticating way of protecting a
    > program;

    Yeah, whatever. Microsoft, Adobe, etc. don't seem to have to
    play such games. I've managed to live without products that must
    "phone home" to their paranoid vendors whenever they feel like it.

    Richard Crowley, Sep 1, 2006
  12. Netmask

    Ken Maltby Guest

    "Netmask" <> wrote in message

    > "Richard Crowley" <> wrote in message
    >> "Netmask" wrote ...
    >>> Doesn't work with TMPG - they require an active internet connection
    >>> whilst you are using the program. It's a protection system for their
    >>> software.

    >> Just Say No to spyware.

    > It's not spyware but a legitimate authenticating way of protecting a
    > program; TMPG has a number of unique features that makes it an excellent
    > program - it's just a pity that their method of protection excludes them
    > from the Third World or where communications don't exist even in First
    > World countries but then the market share would be so low, so why would
    > they bother?

    Richard; I almost missed that at first, also. Aspect2 doesn't
    use that annoying but apparently useful "phone home"
    authentication, so it could work using the procedure you
    described. So my initial recommendation, to use 4.0 XPress is
    a no go, but recommendations that just require an initial
    download, like Aspect2, are still useful, right?

    Luck;
    Ken

    Ken Maltby, Sep 1, 2006
  13. Netmask

    Ray S Guest

    Netmask wrote:
    > "Richard Crowley" <> wrote in message
    >> "Netmask" wrote ...
    >>> Thanks Ken - I'm in Sydney on cable internet but this request is for a
    >>> group in Central Australia in a stand alone installation well away from
    >>> civilisation.

    >> So download whatever at home and burn a CDR (or a USB
    >> "thumb drive") to send to your outpost
    >>
    >> I have only this one computer on the internet here at home.
    >> My audio and video editing systems are not connected.
    >> I frequently use that method even here with computers in
    >> the next room. Besides, burning a CDR isn't a bad way to
    >> keep the downloaed software handy to re-install or such.

    > Doesn't work with TMPG - they require an active internet connection whilst
    > you are using the program. It's a protection system for their software.

    Really? That is so bogus. I'm not sure thats the case either. I use Tmpg
    and zone alarm has never popped up requesting authorization for the
    program to access the internet. Of course, my version of tmpg is several
    years old cause I've just never been motivated to inquire about upgrades.

    Ray S, Sep 1, 2006
  14. Netmask

    Netmask Guest

    "Ray S" <> wrote in message
    > Netmask wrote:
    >> "Richard Crowley" <> wrote in message
    >>> "Netmask" wrote ...
    >>> So download whatever at home and burn a CDR (or a USB
    >>> "thumb drive") to send to your outpost
    >>>
    >>> I have only this one computer on the internet here at home.
    >>> My audio and video editing systems are not connected.
    >>> I frequently use that method even here with computers in
    >>> the next room. Besides, burning a CDR isn't a bad way to
    >>> keep the downloaed software handy to re-install or such.

    >> Doesn't work with TMPG - they require an active internet connection
    >> whilst you are using the program. It's a protection system for their
    >> software.

    > Really? That is so bogus. I'm not sure thats the case either. I use Tmpg
    > and zone alarm has never popped up requesting authorization for the
    > program to access the internet. Of course, my version of tmpg is several
    > years old cause I've just never been motivated to inquire about upgrades.

    Go to their web site and read the requirements - it was introduced last year
    I think from memory. You have to configure your firewall to allow it btw.

    Netmask, Sep 2, 2006
  15. Netmask

    Netmask Guest

    "Ray S" <> wrote in message
    > Netmask wrote:
    >> "Richard Crowley" <> wrote in message
    >>> "Netmask" wrote ...
    >>> So download whatever at home and burn a CDR (or a USB
    >>> "thumb drive") to send to your outpost
    >>>
    >>> I have only this one computer on the internet here at home.
    >>> My audio and video editing systems are not connected.
    >>> I frequently use that method even here with computers in
    >>> the next room. Besides, burning a CDR isn't a bad way to
    >>> keep the downloaed software handy to re-install or such.

    >> Doesn't work with TMPG - they require an active internet connection
    >> whilst you are using the program. It's a protection system for their
    >> software.

    > Really? That is so bogus. I'm not sure thats the case either. I use Tmpg
    > and zone alarm has never popped up requesting authorization for the
    > program to access the internet. Of course, my version of tmpg is several
    > years old cause I've just never been motivated to inquire about upgrades.

    Quote:

    LICENSE VALIDATION is currently required for:

    a.. TMPGEnc Plug-in AC-3
    b.. TMPGEnc 3.0 XPress / TMPGEnc 4.0 XPress
    c.. TMPGEnc DVD Author 2.0
    d.. TMPGEnc MPEG Editor 1.0 / 2.0
    e.. VideoSync

    The License Validation system is based on the periodical exchange of
    encrypted keys between the computer hosting the TMPGEnc software above and
    our server through Internet. Consequently, the use of those software
    requires your computer to provide, even temporarily, an access to Internet.
    Validation process lasts a few seconds only and occurs at long but
    predicable interval, avoiding your computer from being constantly connected
    and leaving the user enough time to prepare the connection when required.

    Network and computer environment compliancy with the License Validation
    system can be tested by using the trial version of one of the software
    above.

    Netmask, Sep 2, 2006
  16. Netmask

    Giovanni Guest

    Netmask wrote:
    > "Ray S" <> wrote in message
    >> Netmask wrote:
    >>> "Richard Crowley" <> wrote in message

    >>> Doesn't work with TMPG - they require an active internet connection
    >>> whilst you are using the program. It's a protection system for their
    >>> software.

    >> Really? That is so bogus. I'm not sure thats the case either. I use
    >> Tmpg and zone alarm has never popped up requesting authorization for
    >> the program to access the internet. Of course, my version of tmpg is
    >> several years old cause I've just never been motivated to inquire
    >> about upgrades.

    > Quote:
    >
    > LICENSE VALIDATION is currently required for:
    >
    > a.. TMPGEnc Plug-in AC-3
    > b.. TMPGEnc 3.0 XPress / TMPGEnc 4.0 XPress
    > c.. TMPGEnc DVD Author 2.0
    > d.. TMPGEnc MPEG Editor 1.0 / 2.0
    > e.. VideoSync
    >
    > The License Validation system is based on the periodical exchange of
    > encrypted keys between the computer hosting the TMPGEnc software
    > above and our server through Internet. Consequently, the use of those
    > software requires your computer to provide, even temporarily, an
    > access to Internet. Validation process lasts a few seconds only and
    > occurs at long but predicable interval, avoiding your computer from
    > being constantly connected and leaving the user enough time to
    > prepare the connection when required.
    > Network and computer environment compliancy with the License
    > Validation system can be tested by using the trial version of one of
    > the software above.

    You might ask the people at pegasys whether they have a version which
    doesn't need the validation connection. Worth an e-mail if you like
    their program.

    Giovanni, Sep 2, 2006
  17. Netmask

    John Howells Guest

    "Giovanni" <> wrote

    > You might ask the people at pegasys whether they have a version which
    > doesn't need the validation connection.

    They are adamant that they do not and will not.

    > Worth an e-mail if you like
    > their program.

    It would be a waste of time.

    John Howells

    John Howells, Sep 2, 2006
  18. Netmask

    John Howells Guest

    "John Howells" <> wrote in

    > > Worth an e-mail if you like
    > > their program.

    > It would be a waste of time.

    P.S. .. other than perhaps to indicate that there are people (of which I am
    one) who do not like their approach.

    John Howells

    John Howells, Sep 2, 2006
  19. Netmask

    Netmask Guest

    "Giovanni" <> wrote in message
    > Netmask wrote:
    >> "Ray S" <> wrote in message

    >>> Really? That is so bogus. I'm not sure thats the case either. I use
    >>> Tmpg and zone alarm has never popped up requesting authorization for
    >>> the program to access the internet. Of course, my version of tmpg is
    >>> several years old cause I've just never been motivated to inquire
    >>> about upgrades.

    >> Quote:
    >>
    >> LICENSE VALIDATION is currently required for:
    >>
    >> a.. TMPGEnc Plug-in AC-3
    >> b.. TMPGEnc 3.0 XPress / TMPGEnc 4.0 XPress
    >> c.. TMPGEnc DVD Author 2.0
    >> d.. TMPGEnc MPEG Editor 1.0 / 2.0
    >> e.. VideoSync
    >>
    >> The License Validation system is based on the periodical exchange of
    >> encrypted keys between the computer hosting the TMPGEnc software
    >> above and our server through Internet. Consequently, the use of those
    >> software requires your computer to provide, even temporarily, an
    >> access to Internet. Validation process lasts a few seconds only and
    >> occurs at long but predicable interval, avoiding your computer from
    >> being constantly connected and leaving the user enough time to
    >> prepare the connection when required.
    >> Network and computer environment compliancy with the License
    >> Validation system can be tested by using the trial version of one of
    >> the software above.

    > You might ask the people at pegasys whether they have a version which
    > doesn't need the validation connection. Worth an e-mail if you like their
    > program.

    Can't see that happening the market is too small and security in 3rd World
    environments is non existent.
    We can do it in VirtualDub MPEG with a bit of training and at the same time
    it is empowering to the group involved by learning a process rather than a
    pure GUI solution also it's free!

    Many thanks for the suggestions from all those who contributed.

    Netmask, Sep 3, 2006