ASP GridView hyperlinks driving me insane!

Discussion in 'General Computer Support' started by WillC999, Oct 28, 2008.

  1. WillC999

    WillC999

    Joined:
    Oct 28, 2008
    Messages:
    1
    Hi all, I have spent the best part of a day trying to achieve something I would have thought simple. I suspect I am missing something - please feel free to set me straight!

    The problem:

    I want a link of hyperlinks displayed in a GridView. The grid contents need to be dynamically generated from a database table at run time. The table contains the link title and actual URLs.

    I have got my grid, it is populated with the data - but the actual link fields are not displaying as hyperlinks!

    The issue, I think, is that the hyperlink URLs are actually UNC paths to exe's (e.g. "P:/Databases/IT_Requests.exe").

    Using UNCs as the URL works fine in a single HyperLink control, but not it seems in the HyperLinkField of a GridView.

    Am I right or completely wrong?!

    I have added a HyperLinkField with DataNavigateUrlFields = LinkURL (my link field) and DataNavigateUrlFormatString = "{0}" (it's the only field in the array).

    This does work when the contents of the LinkURL field is a valid hyperlink (e.g. "http://www.bbc.co.uk") but not when a UNC.

    I am at the end of a very frustrating road! Help ease my pain...

    WillC999, Oct 28, 2008