    problem clearly.

    Thanks,

    Mike

    Mike, Mar 1, 2007

  2. Mike

    GHalleck Guest

    Mike wrote:

    > Hi, we have two XP Pro PCs in a remote location that connects to the main
    > site via DSL, VPN, Remote Desktop.
    > I went to the remote site to replace the PCs and realized the people using
    > VPN, Remote Desktop will not be able to
    > print data when connected to the main site via vpn client and remote
    > desktop. Is there any way I configure CISCO VPN Client & Remote Desktop so
    > the users at the remote site can print at the remote site data they are
    > viewing that is on the main site. Let me know if I didn't explain the
    > problem clearly.

    You writing about printing to network printers via TCP/IP in the domain
    of the remote site? If so, the alternative is to resort to local printing.

    GHalleck, Mar 1, 2007

  3. Mike

    Mike Guest

    "GHalleck" <> wrote in message

    > Mike wrote:
    >
    >> Hi, we have two XP Pro PCs in a remote location that connects to the main
    >> site via DSL, VPN, Remote Desktop.
    >> I went to the remote site to replace the PCs and realized the people
    >> using VPN, Remote Desktop will not be able to
    >> print data when connected to the main site via vpn client and remote
    >> desktop. Is there any way I configure CISCO VPN Client & Remote Desktop
    >> so the users at the remote site can print at the remote site data they
    >> are viewing that is on the main site. Let me know if I didn't explain
    >> the problem clearly.
    >>

    > You writing about printing to network printers via TCP/IP in the domain
    > of the remote site? If so, the alternative is to resort to local printing.

    I'm referring to the inability of people to print data to local (slaved)
    printers at the remote site they are viewing via VPN

    Mike, Mar 1, 2007
  4. Mike

    why? Guest

    On Thu, 01 Mar 2007 12:04:47 GMT, Mike wrote:

    >"GHalleck" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> Mike wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hi, we have two XP Pro PCs in a remote location that connects to the main
    >>> site via DSL, VPN, Remote Desktop.
    >>> I went to the remote site to replace the PCs and realized the people
    >>> using VPN, Remote Desktop will not be able to
    >>> print data when connected to the main site via vpn client and remote
    >>> desktop. Is there any way I configure CISCO VPN Client & Remote Desktop
    >>> so the users at the remote site can print at the remote site data they
    >>> are viewing that is on the main site. Let me know if I didn't explain
    >>> the problem clearly.
    >>>

    >> You writing about printing to network printers via TCP/IP in the domain
    >> of the remote site? If so, the alternative is to resort to local printing.

    >I'm referring to the inability of people to print data to local (slaved)
    >printers at the remote site they are viewing via VPN

    Have a look for 'split tunnelling', it allows access to local and remote
    resources at the same time. As the onsite IT support we use this to
    connect to our corprate WAN over the other guys infrastructure while
    still allowing local file / print network access.

    However the customer is looking to ban this (security risk), as we work
    on multiple accounts and to prevent accidents we are goung to have 4 or
    5 VPN connections switching between each as needed. While not allowing
    any local access, which will be restored disconnecting VPN or having a
    2nd PC.

    For a small satellite office we solved this issues by a 4 x 4 Belkin USB
    printer switch box, and put a small hp usb (only) laser printer to share
    between every 3 users.

    What's worse we used to be able to
    a) Local access
    b) Remote our WAN , Cisco VPN
    c) Remote other customers, Nortel VPN

    You can see the issue, connecting local company international WAN, to
    ours to any number of other international customers of ours, nothing to
    do with the business for the site we sit at :) in 1 case a competitor
    in some areas.

    VPN Client Security Part 1: Split Tunneling Issues
    You've implemented a ISA/VPN Server to allow secure remote connections
    to your internal network. While you might have configured your VPN
    Server in a secure ...
    www.isaserver.org/tutorials/VPN_Client_Security_Issues.html - 50k -
    Cached - Similar pages

    I like the text of the next bit, it's oh so very true.

    Remote Access VPN and a Twist on the Dangers of Split Tunneling
    If you ever want to get a rise out of your ISA firewall VPN
    administrator, try asking him how you enable split tunneling for your
    remote access VPN client ...
    www.isaserver.org/tutorials/2004fixipsectunnel.html - 38k - Cached -
    Similar pages

    Example of VPN Split Tunneling Connection
    The VPN concentrator supports split tunneling, where users establish
    simultaneous connections to an institution's computer network and the
    Internet directly ...
    http://uwadmnweb.uwyo.edu/InfoTech/vpn/split_tunnel.htm - 11k - Cached -
    Similar pages

    Me