[Ask] VPN connection to Windows XP environment (without bluescreening)

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Umar, Jul 22, 2010.

  1. Umar

    Umar Guest

    I have a laptop running Windows 7. I need to connect and use my laptop
    (running Windows 7) in an IT environment which is still running
    Windows XP SP2.

    I have had some issues with running a Windows XP-based VPN client on
    my Windows 7 laptop, resulting in a blue screen.

    I'd like to figure out whether VMWare (or other) has a product that
    will enable me to do the following:

    * Establish a Windows XP virtualized environment on my Windows 7
    laptop (64 bit).
    * Note that I don't have a Windows XP license on my laptop (only a
    Windows 7 license).
    * Securely connect using Cisco VPN client to an IT environment that is
    still running Windows XP SP2.
    * Need to make sure that my Windows 7 laptop is unimpacted (i.e., does
    not blue screen) by any Windows XP application that I launch within
    the virtualized environment.

    Can a business user (who is not technically savvy) install the product
    (assuming one exists)? What is the cost of the product?

    Thanks for any feedback.

    Umar, Jul 22, 2010

  2. VMware Player is a FREE product, but for definitive answers about their
    product, go to www.vmware.com. Since VMware is not a Microsoft product
    you will not find definitive information about it at a Microsoft group.

    Bobby Johnson, Jul 23, 2010

  3. Umar

    Jeff Zeitlin Guest

    Re: [Ask] VPN connection to Windows XP environment (without blue screening)

    Which edition of Windows 7 are you running? If you're running
    Professional, Ultimate, or Enterprise, you can obtain - at no cost - the
    bits and pieces needed for something called "XP Mode", which is a
    special bundle of Microsoft Virtual PC and a Windows XP virtual machine
    image for it, set up so that "XP Mode" applications can be invoked from
    the main Windows 7 start menu.

    Start at http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/default.aspx for
    more information.

    Jeff Zeitlin, Jul 30, 2010