    Window and have to end processes of firefox.exe.

    Any ideas why this happens? Nothing found in Google or Usenet searches.

    Thanks for help

    MrRx, Apr 30, 2005

  2. MrRx

    Moz Champion Guest

    MrRx wrote:
    > I close down all mozilla and firefox pages and only have desktop showing. I
    > try and open firefox and fail. I finally do a ctrl-alt-del for the Task
    > Window and have to end processes of firefox.exe.
    >
    > Any ideas why this happens? Nothing found in Google or Usenet searches.
    >
    > Thanks for help

    When you close the windows, you are not quitting the program, you are
    simply closing the windows <g>
    Firefox is still 'running' when you close the windows, except that you
    dont have anything open in which you can view it!

    Moz Champion, Apr 30, 2005

  3. MrRx

    Tony Raven Guest

    Moz Champion wrote:
    > MrRx wrote:
    >
    >> I close down all mozilla and firefox pages and only have desktop
    >> showing. I try and open firefox and fail. I finally do a
    >> ctrl-alt-del for the Task Window and have to end processes of
    >> firefox.exe.
    >>
    >> Any ideas why this happens? Nothing found in Google or Usenet searches.
    >>
    >> Thanks for help
    >>

    > When you close the windows, you are not quitting the program, you are
    > simply closing the windows <g>
    > Firefox is still 'running' when you close the windows, except that you
    > dont have anything open in which you can view it!

    But what's the solution? I have it sometimes. FF appears to close but
    is still running in Task Manager and you can't start it again until you
    have stopped firefox.exe in Task Manager and then restart the program

    --
    Tony

    "A facility for quotation covers the absence of original thought" Lord
    Peter Wimsey (Dorothy L. Sayers)

    Tony Raven, Apr 30, 2005
  4. MrRx

    mike555 Guest

    ==== you need to make a new profile and then reinstall your extensions
    , you have a conflict with something in your profile, maybe some ext.
    didn't uninstall right or something.... in order to make a new
    profile (with firefox completely off) click on start, run, and type
    firefox.exe -profilemanager ..... that should bring up a
    wizard , just tell it you want a new profile and name it something like
    " new profile " , and tell it to use that profile ...... exit , then
    when you start firefox it be OK, except with no extensions installed (
    but plug-ins , like flash ,etc. should be there)...... you should check
    the firefox boards for info on extension conflicts , and how to do
    profiles at .....
    http://www.mozilla.org/support/firefox/profile ===========

    mike555, May 1, 2005
  5. MrRx

    Barney Guest

    Moz Champion <> had
    writtennews:l8Bce.163921$
    :

    > When you close the windows, you are not quitting the program, you
    > are simply closing the windows <g>
    > Firefox is still 'running' when you close the windows, except that
    > you dont have anything open in which you can view it!

    You have probably solved that problem for me as well because on one
    occassion I had it happened to me. Thankyou!

    --
    Barney __________________________
    Wisdom from the sleeping dogs!

    Barney, May 2, 2005
  6. MrRx

    Moz Champion Guest

    Tony Raven wrote:
    > Moz Champion wrote:
    >
    >> MrRx wrote:
    >>
    >>> I close down all mozilla and firefox pages and only have desktop
    >>> showing. I try and open firefox and fail. I finally do a
    >>> ctrl-alt-del for the Task Window and have to end processes of
    >>> firefox.exe.
    >>>
    >>> Any ideas why this happens? Nothing found in Google or Usenet searches.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks for help
    >>>

    >> When you close the windows, you are not quitting the program, you are
    >> simply closing the windows <g>
    >> Firefox is still 'running' when you close the windows, except that you
    >> dont have anything open in which you can view it!

    > But what's the solution? I have it sometimes. FF appears to close but
    > is still running in Task Manager and you can't start it again until you
    > have stopped firefox.exe in Task Manager and then restart the program

    If you mean to quit then quit! Dont think 'close' windows is quitting,
    its simply removing that window.

    If Firefox is still running (and it will be if all you do is close the
    windows) then its simple to have it brought to the front again, launch a
    new window! If its your default browser, then clicking on a url in a
    message will open a new window for you.

    If you want it to quit, then dont simple close the windows, quit the
    program.

    Moz Champion, May 2, 2005
  7. MrRx

    MrRx Guest

    I agree but I am using the CLOSE APP 'X' in roght upper corner OR I use
    File....Close

    MrRx, May 2, 2005
  8. MrRx

    MrRx Guest

    Exactly what I am asking. This is now happening EVERY time I use firefox!

    MrRx, May 2, 2005
  9. MrRx

    MrRx Guest

    NOT closing the window CLOSING the whole program... Then have to go to Tasks
    and End Process in order to c lear the RAM of firefox so it will run again!

    MrRx, May 2, 2005
  10. MrRx

    Moz Champion Guest

    MrRx wrote:
    > NOT closing the window CLOSING the whole program... Then have to go to Tasks
    > and End Process in order to c lear the RAM of firefox so it will run again!
    >

    > "Moz Champion" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Tony Raven wrote:

    >>>But what's the solution? I have it sometimes. FF appears to close but
    >>>is still running in Task Manager and you can't start it again until you
    >>>have stopped firefox.exe in Task Manager and then restart the program
    >>>

    >>If you mean to quit then quit! Dont think 'close' windows is quitting,
    >>its simply removing that window.
    >>
    >>If Firefox is still running (and it will be if all you do is close the
    >>windows) then its simple to have it brought to the front again, launch a
    >>new window! If its your default browser, then clicking on a url in a
    >>message will open a new window for you.
    >>
    >>If you want it to quit, then dont simple close the windows, quit the
    >>program.

    Are you closing or quitting?

    Moz Champion, May 3, 2005
  11. MrRx

    Wijja Guest

    Moz Champion wrote:
    > Tony Raven wrote:
    >
    >> Moz Champion wrote:

    >>> When you close the windows, you are not quitting the program, you are
    >>> simply closing the windows <g>
    >>> Firefox is still 'running' when you close the windows, except that
    >>> you dont have anything open in which you can view it!

    >> But what's the solution? I have it sometimes. FF appears to close
    >> but is still running in Task Manager and you can't start it again
    >> until you have stopped firefox.exe in Task Manager and then restart
    >> the program
    >>

    > If you mean to quit then quit! Dont think 'close' windows is quitting,
    > its simply removing that window.
    >
    > If Firefox is still running (and it will be if all you do is close the
    > windows) then its simple to have it brought to the front again, launch a
    > new window! If its your default browser, then clicking on a url in a
    > message will open a new window for you.
    >
    > If you want it to quit, then dont simple close the windows, quit the
    > program.

    Uh......you're a retard.

    Wijja, May 3, 2005
  12. MrRx

    Tony Raven Guest

    Moz Champion wrote:

    > If you mean to quit then quit! Dont think 'close' windows is quitting,
    > its simply removing that window.

    In all the programmes I use, the X at the top right of the window works
    fine to close the programme. Usually Firefox is the same but sometimes
    it isn't

    > If Firefox is still running (and it will be if all you do is close the
    > windows) then its simple to have it brought to the front again, launch a
    > new window! If its your default browser, then clicking on a url in a
    > message will open a new window for you.

    That's the whole issue. You cannot launch a new window. You have to go
    into task manager, terminate Firefox.exe and then you can open a new
    window. Otherwise if you click on the start prog icon nothing happens

    > If you want it to quit, then dont simple close the windows, quit the
    > program.

    Why do I have to quite FF in a different way to all other programmes?

    Tony Raven, May 3, 2005
  13. MrRx

    Doug G Guest

    MrRx wrote:
    > "Moz Champion" <> wrote in message
    >> MrRx wrote:
    >>> I close down all mozilla and firefox pages and only have desktop
    >>> showing. I try and open firefox and fail. I finally do a
    >>> ctrl-alt-del for the Task Window and have to end processes of
    >>> firefox.exe.
    >>>
    >>> Any ideas why this happens? Nothing found in Google or Usenet
    >>> searches.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks for help
    >>>

    >> When you close the windows, you are not quitting the program, you
    >> are simply closing the windows <g> Firefox is still 'running' when
    >> you close the windows, except that you dont have anything open in
    >> which you can view it!

    > I agree but I am using the CLOSE APP 'X' in roght upper corner OR I
    > use File....Close

    Instead of using the "X" or File > Close, try using File > Exit or
    pressing Alt+F4.

    Have you enabled Pop-up blocking? Are any sites listed on its Allowed
    Sites list?

    What extensions have you installed?

    Are you using Windows 98?

    Doug G, May 3, 2005
  14. MrRx

    Moz Champion Guest

    Tony Raven wrote:
    > Moz Champion wrote:
    >

    >> If you mean to quit then quit! Dont think 'close' windows is
    >> quitting, its simply removing that window.
    >>

    > In all the programmes I use, the X at the top right of the window works
    > fine to close the programme. Usually Firefox is the same but sometimes
    > it isn't
    >
    >> If Firefox is still running (and it will be if all you do is close the
    >> windows) then its simple to have it brought to the front again, launch
    >> a new window! If its your default browser, then clicking on a url in
    >> a message will open a new window for you.
    >>

    > That's the whole issue. You cannot launch a new window. You have to go
    > into task manager, terminate Firefox.exe and then you can open a new
    > window. Otherwise if you click on the start prog icon nothing happens
    >
    >> If you want it to quit, then dont simple close the windows, quit the
    >> program.

    > Why do I have to quite FF in a different way to all other programmes?

    Thats the point.

    You want to CLOSE the program, then use the X at the top right... thats
    CLOSE (window)
    You want to QUIT the program, then quit, there is a difference between
    the two.

    Even in your explanations you seem not to grasp the difference between
    close and quit, you mention in one answer you wish to close, and then
    you ask how you quit.

    Its simple, really. If you want to quit the program, then quit. If you
    want to close the windows, but leave the program running, then use close.

    Moz Champion, May 3, 2005
  15. MrRx

    Big Will Guest

    Doug G wrote:
    > MrRx wrote:

    >>> When you close the windows, you are not quitting the program, you
    >>> are simply closing the windows <g> Firefox is still 'running' when
    >>> you close the windows, except that you dont have anything open in
    >>> which you can view it!

    >> I agree but I am using the CLOSE APP 'X' in roght upper corner OR I
    >> use File....Close
    >>

    > Instead of using the "X" or File > Close, try using File > Exit or
    > pressing Alt+F4.

    Close=Alt+F4. press Alt+[spacebar] to see keyboard shortcuts for Active
    Window. In any event, Close and Exit usually are the same, and AFAIK
    it's the same in FF on a Windows box. Now on Macs (and maybe Linux, but
    I'm still learning that OS) it's different.

    Regards,

    Will

    Big Will, May 3, 2005
  16. MrRx

    Tony Raven Guest

    Moz Champion wrote:

    > You want to CLOSE the program, then use the X at the top right... thats
    > CLOSE (window)
    > You want to QUIT the program, then quit, there is a difference between
    > the two.
    >
    > Even in your explanations you seem not to grasp the difference between
    > close and quit, you mention in one answer you wish to close, and then
    > you ask how you quit.
    >
    > Its simple, really. If you want to quit the program, then quit. If you
    > want to close the windows, but leave the program running, then use close.

    Accepting for a moment the difference between Close and Quit, most
    programs Quit when you Close the last window open in that program (in
    fact all I can think of) and most of the time on my PC Firefox Quits
    when you Close but occassionally it doesn't Quit when you Close. In the
    latter case there is no obvious way to re-open a window - the task bar
    icon doesn't do it - other than Quitting via Task Manager and restarting
    FF.

    Going back to Quit and Close, even FF is confused over the difference
    between Close and Quit (or Exit). Open a few tabs, click the X to close
    and you get a Close Confirmation pop up. Click File/Exit and you
    get..... a Close Confirmation pop-up.

    So overall there may be a semantic difference but practically there is
    none. But let me recast the question for you. Why does FF sometimes
    Quit when you Close the window and sometimes only Quit, and if you have
    only Quit (in those cases where it hasn't Closed) how do you get it to
    reopen a window because the task bar icon does not do it?

    Tony Raven, May 4, 2005
  17. MrRx

    Big Will Guest

    Tony Raven wrote:
    > Moz Champion wrote:
    >

    >> You want to CLOSE the program, then use the X at the top right...
    >> thats CLOSE (window)
    >> You want to QUIT the program, then quit, there is a difference between
    >> the two.
    >>
    >> Even in your explanations you seem not to grasp the difference between
    >> close and quit, you mention in one answer you wish to close, and then
    >> you ask how you quit.
    >>
    >> Its simple, really. If you want to quit the program, then quit. If
    >> you want to close the windows, but leave the program running, then use
    >> close.

    > Accepting for a moment the difference between Close and Quit, most
    > programs Quit when you Close the last window open in that program (in
    > fact all I can think of) and most of the time on my PC Firefox Quits
    > when you Close but occassionally it doesn't Quit when you Close. In the
    > latter case there is no obvious way to re-open a window - the task bar
    > icon doesn't do it - other than Quitting via Task Manager and restarting
    > FF.
    >
    > Going back to Quit and Close, even FF is confused over the difference
    > between Close and Quit (or Exit). Open a few tabs, click the X to close
    > and you get a Close Confirmation pop up. Click File/Exit and you
    > get..... a Close Confirmation pop-up.
    >
    > So overall there may be a semantic difference but practically there is
    > none. But let me recast the question for you. Why does FF sometimes
    > Quit when you Close the window and sometimes only Quit, and if you have
    > only Quit (in those cases where it hasn't Closed) how do you get it to
    > reopen a window because the task bar icon does not do it?

    I've noticed that when I try to open FF soon after closing it (or
    quiting it, whatever, same thing on PC) then I'd be experiencing this
    problem. My solution is simple. Live FF a few seconds after closing
    browser before trying to reopen a new browser. If that doesn't work for
    you, then I think I read somewhere in this thread something about
    creating a new profile (for my PC it's c:\program files\mozilla
    firefox\firefox.exe" -p).

    Hope any of this helps.

    Regards,

    Will

    Big Will, May 4, 2005
  18. MrRx

    Ed Mullen Guest

    Tony Raven wrote:

    > Moz Champion wrote:
    >

    >> You want to CLOSE the program, then use the X at the top right...
    >> thats CLOSE (window)
    >> You want to QUIT the program, then quit, there is a difference between
    >> the two.
    >>
    >> Even in your explanations you seem not to grasp the difference between
    >> close and quit, you mention in one answer you wish to close, and then
    >> you ask how you quit.
    >>
    >> Its simple, really. If you want to quit the program, then quit. If
    >> you want to close the windows, but leave the program running, then use
    >> close.

    > Accepting for a moment the difference between Close and Quit, most
    > programs Quit when you Close the last window open in that program (in
    > fact all I can think of) and most of the time on my PC Firefox Quits
    > when you Close but occassionally it doesn't Quit when you Close. In the
    > latter case there is no obvious way to re-open a window - the task bar
    > icon doesn't do it - other than Quitting via Task Manager and restarting
    > FF.
    >
    > Going back to Quit and Close, even FF is confused over the difference
    > between Close and Quit (or Exit). Open a few tabs, click the X to close
    > and you get a Close Confirmation pop up. Click File/Exit and you
    > get..... a Close Confirmation pop-up.
    >
    > So overall there may be a semantic difference but practically there is
    > none. But let me recast the question for you. Why does FF sometimes
    > Quit when you Close the window and sometimes only Quit, and if you have
    > only Quit (in those cases where it hasn't Closed) how do you get it to
    > reopen a window because the task bar icon does not do it?

    Just curious but if this is happening regularly, could you try using
    File - Exit in the FF menu and tell us if that consistently forces FF to
    exit completely? If so, there's likely a flaw in FF's handling of the
    "X" box fucntion.

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net

    Ed Mullen, May 4, 2005
  19. MrRx

    MrRx Guest

    Unfortunately, The only fix I have found is to make a new profile and delete
    the old default one. The worse part of it is I had Firefox 100% working the
    way I wanted!

    MrRx, May 4, 2005