Asian Characters

Discussion in 'A+ Certification' started by smackedass, Mar 2, 2006.

  1. smackedass

    smackedass Guest

    This message has been cross-posted from alt.privacy.spyware.

    Hello,

    I recently was having a look at a friend's computer; Windows XP SP2, it was
    obvious that he wasn't very careful and had accumulated a bunch of spyware,
    which I removed.

    During the removal, I ran MSCONFIG, and two of the entries listed only Asian
    characters: sorry, I didn't make a point of transcribing them. I un-checked
    them, rebooted, and then saw messages saying "The program [here insert Asian
    characters] could not be found, check the program's location", etc. etc.,
    for each of the entries that I un-checked.

    (I also ran HijackThis, and found similar entries, which I then deleted)

    A few days later, my friend was still having trouble, I went back to his
    place, and in MSCONFIG, both of those entries were still un-checked;
    however, two NEW entries containing the same Asian characters had
    re-appeared... I repeated the process...I un-checked them, rebooted, and
    then saw messages saying "The program [here insert Asian characters] could
    not be found, check the program's location", etc. etc., for each of the
    entries that I un-checked.

    I can only expect that there's some type of imbedded spyware/adware/scumware
    etc. that's embedded somewhere down in the OS or the Registry. A scan with
    AVG with the latest defs turned up no viruses.

    I tried, but was unable to Google this problem, "Spyware Asian Characters"
    did not find what I was looking for.

    Can anyone here point me in any direction? I know that the next step will
    be a thorough, deep scan with several different scumware removers, and, that
    failing, an OS re-install, but is there a "quick-and-dirty" solution?

    Thanks, Sincerely

    smackedass

    smackedass, Mar 2, 2006