Ashley's post on Windows Backup

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Enkidu, Jul 17, 2005.

  1. Enkidu

    Enkidu Guest

    Hi all,

    I just came across something that may explain why Ashley had
    a problem with Windows NTBackup to CD-RW.

    Firstly, I'm asssuming that the backup name didn't change.
    Secondly I'm assuming packet writer software was used.

    If the above were true, I read on another group that when a
    file is deleted from a CD-RW it is not erased, so that the
    space is still used up. Presumably if it is re-written then
    the space used by the old copy will still be there, so after
    2 - 3 backups the disk will fill up.

    The only way to free up the space used by deleted files is
    to reformat the disk.

    Now, I'm not sure if this fits all the symptoms observered
    by Ashley, but it could be a plausible explanation of why
    there were problems.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Jul 17, 2005

  2. In article <42d9a16d$>,
    Enkidu <> wrote:

    >Firstly, I'm asssuming that the backup name didn't change.
    >Secondly I'm assuming packet writer software was used.
    >
    >If the above were true, I read on another group that when a
    >file is deleted from a CD-RW it is not erased, so that the
    >space is still used up.

    I thought the whole point of packet-writing was to make the CD look just
    like a hard disk. That means that, when you delete a file, the space
    becomes available for reuse.
    Lawrence D¹Oliveiro, Jul 17, 2005

  3. Enkidu

    Enkidu Guest

    Lawrence D¹Oliveiro wrote:
    > In article <42d9a16d$>,
    > Enkidu <> wrote:
    >

    >>Firstly, I'm asssuming that the backup name didn't change.
    >>Secondly I'm assuming packet writer software was used.
    >>
    >>If the above were true, I read on another group that when a
    >>file is deleted from a CD-RW it is not erased, so that the
    >>space is still used up.

    > I thought the whole point of packet-writing was to make
    > the CD look just like a hard disk. That means that, when
    > you delete a file, the space becomes available for reuse.

    Well, it's supposed look like a floppy I believe though I
    don't know what the distinction is (except that a floppy can
    be removed and contains a FAT filesystem).

    I've not tested the above, by the way. I just read it.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Jul 17, 2005
  4. Enkidu

    Daver Guest

    Only the case with CDR or if CDRW is used as a CDR.

    Daver, Jul 17, 2005
  5. Enkidu

    Max Burke Guest

    > Enkidu scribbled:
    > Hi all,
    > I just came across something that may explain why Ashley had
    > a problem with Windows NTBackup to CD-RW.

    Windows NTbackup CANNOT backup directly to CDR/CDRW/DVDR/DVDRW
    You have to backup to a(nother) hard drive then copy that backup to the
    backup device using Explorer.

    Windows backup does not back up to CD-R/CD-RW/DVD-R devices
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=262006&sd=RMVP

    Found Images
    Max Burke, Jul 17, 2005
  6. Enkidu

    Enkidu Guest

    Max Burke wrote:
    >> Enkidu scribbled:
    >> Hi all,
    >> I just came across something that may explain why Ashley had
    >> a problem with Windows NTBackup to CD-RW.

    > Windows NTbackup CANNOT backup directly to CDR/CDRW/DVDR/DVDRW
    > You have to backup to a(nother) hard drive then copy that backup to the
    > backup device using Explorer.
    >
    > Windows backup does not back up to CD-R/CD-RW/DVD-R devices
    > http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=262006&sd=RMVP

    Max, I don't care what that reference says, I've done it. NT
    Backup will happily backup to a CD-RW on a machine with CD
    writer using packet writing software.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Jul 17, 2005
  7. Enkidu

    AD. Guest

    On Sun, 17 Jul 2005 19:25:05 +1200, Max Burke wrote:

    >> Enkidu scribbled:
    >> Hi all,
    >> I just came across something that may explain why Ashley had a problem
    >> with Windows NTBackup to CD-RW.

    > Windows NTbackup CANNOT backup directly to CDR/CDRW/DVDR/DVDRW You have to
    > backup to a(nother) hard drive then copy that backup to the backup device
    > using Explorer.
    >
    > Windows backup does not back up to CD-R/CD-RW/DVD-R devices
    > http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=262006&sd=RMVP

    That was Cliffs original point in the earlier thread, but others pointed
    out that you can if you use packet writing software.

    Maybe Cliff was just one of us that decline to install packet writing
    software because of its track record ;)

    * I still don't install packet writing software on Windows machines. I'm
    not sure whether it is safer these days or not though - any comments?

    --
    Cheers
    Anton
    AD., Jul 17, 2005
  8. AD. wrote:
    >>>Enkidu scribbled:
    >>>Hi all,
    >>>I just came across something that may explain why Ashley had a problem
    >>>with Windows NTBackup to CD-RW.

    >>Windows NTbackup CANNOT backup directly to CDR/CDRW/DVDR/DVDRW You have to
    >>backup to a(nother) hard drive then copy that backup to the backup device
    >>using Explorer.
    >>Windows backup does not back up to CD-R/CD-RW/DVD-R devices
    >>http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=262006&sd=RMVP

    > That was Cliffs original point in the earlier thread, but others pointed
    > out that you can if you use packet writing software.
    > Maybe Cliff was just one of us that decline to install packet writing
    > software because of its track record ;)
    > * I still don't install packet writing software on Windows machines. I'm
    > not sure whether it is safer these days or not though - any comments?

    dunno, but willing to raise my hand as one of those that tries not to
    install any software that will make my data less readable.

    --
    http://dave.net.nz <- My personal site.
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Jul 18, 2005
  9. Enkidu

    Rob J Guest

    <> wrote:

    >> Enkidu scribbled:
    >> Hi all,
    >> I just came across something that may explain why Ashley had
    >> a problem with Windows NTBackup to CD-RW.

    >Windows NTbackup CANNOT backup directly to CDR/CDRW/DVDR/DVDRW
    >You have to backup to a(nother) hard drive then copy that backup to the
    >backup device using Explorer.
    >
    >Windows backup does not back up to CD-R/CD-RW/DVD-R devices
    >http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=262006&sd=RMVP

    Well that's wrong. I have laptop users using XP Backup to a CDRW disk.
    Rob J, Jul 18, 2005
  10. Enkidu

    Max Burke Guest

    > Enkidu scribbled:

    >> Max Burke wrote:

    >> Hi all,
    >> I just came across something that may explain why Ashley had
    >> a problem with Windows NTBackup to CD-RW.

    >> Windows NTbackup CANNOT backup directly to CDR/CDRW/DVDR/DVDRW
    >> You have to backup to a(nother) hard drive then copy that backup to
    >> the backup device using Explorer.

    >> Windows backup does not back up to CD-R/CD-RW/DVD-R devices
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=262006&sd=RMVP

    > Max, I don't care what that reference says, I've done it. NT
    > Backup will happily backup to a CD-RW on a machine with CD
    > writer using packet writing software.

    Of course it will; What it WONT do (and what the Microsoft support page is
    talking about, and I believe this is problem Ashley is describing) is backup
    DIRECTLY to a CD R, CD RW.

    Found Images
    Max Burke, Jul 18, 2005
  11. Enkidu

    Enkidu Guest

    Max Burke wrote:
    >> Enkidu scribbled:

    >>> Max Burke wrote:

    >>> Hi all,
    >>> I just came across something that may explain why Ashley had
    >>> a problem with Windows NTBackup to CD-RW.

    >>> Windows NTbackup CANNOT backup directly to CDR/CDRW/DVDR/DVDRW
    >>> You have to backup to a(nother) hard drive then copy that backup to
    >>> the backup device using Explorer.

    >>> Windows backup does not back up to CD-R/CD-RW/DVD-R devices
    >>> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=262006&sd=RMVP

    >> Max, I don't care what that reference says, I've done it. NT
    >> Backup will happily backup to a CD-RW on a machine with CD
    >> writer using packet writing software.

    > Of course it will; What it WONT do (and what the Microsoft support page
    > is talking about, and I believe this is problem Ashley is describing) is
    > backup DIRECTLY to a CD R, CD RW.

    In one post Ashley mentioned using packet writing software.
    You are also ignoring the fact that Ashley said that it
    worked twice before.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Jul 19, 2005