Ashes and Snow

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Matt Silberstein, May 23, 2005.

  1. Well, my camera my be working, but it has been raining on and off, so
    I have not had good opportunities to use it. Meanwhile we went to an
    astounding photography exhibit today: Ashes and Snow
    (http://www.ashesandsnow.org/). The photos were great, but the whole
    exhibit worked as a unit. The current location (I gather it will be
    traveling) is on a pier over the Hudson River on the west side of
    Manhattan. The space is created by stacks of shipping containers,
    paper columns, and a paper roof. The pictures are all about 4' by 3',
    printed in sepia (mostly) or black and white (I think, and only a few)
    on rough somewhat textured paper. The images are of humans and
    animals, somehow suspended in time and place. They are haunting. Our
    favorites were of the elephants, the rough texture of their skin
    worked with the graininess of the print and the texture of the paper.
    All shows were done such that there was no sense of background,
    nothing to fix the subjects either to a country or to the ground. This
    worked well with the shipping containers and the pier location, it all
    gave a sense of "elsewhere", of dislocation. Since most of the images
    were of a person and an animal, this dislocation served to draw the
    two of them together. I strongly recommend to anyone that they go and
    see this if they ever get a chance. I could not figure out if I wanted
    to toss my camera away or start shooting immediately.

    --
    Matt Silberstein

    Matt Silberstein, May 23, 2005

  2. Matt Silberstein