    Quite often lately when I select Standby I get Asherv (Not Respnding) in
    the Close Program window and sometimes I can remove it and continue by
    using Ctrl>lt>Delete>End Task. Any ideas please?
    Emrys Davies, May 24, 2009

  2. Emrys Davies

    VanguardLH Guest

    Emrys Davies wrote:

    > I have Win98 SE, OE6 and IE6
    >
    > Quite often lately when I select Standby I get Asherv (Not Respnding) in
    > the Close Program window and sometimes I can remove it and continue by
    > using Ctrl>lt>Delete>End Task. Any ideas please?

    Where did you find the asherv.exe file when you searched for it?
    VanguardLH, May 24, 2009

  3. Emrys Davies

    Emrys Davies Guest

    "VanguardLH" <> wrote in message
    > Emrys Davies wrote:
    >
    > > I have Win98 SE, OE6 and IE6
    > >
    > > Quite often lately when I select Standby I get Asherv (Not

    Respnding) in
    > > the Close Program window and sometimes I can remove it and continue

    by
    > > using Ctrl>lt>Delete>End Task. Any ideas please?

    > Where did you find the asherv.exe file when you searched for it?

    It is not shown in 'Find Files and Folders'.
    Emrys Davies, May 24, 2009
  4. Emrys Davies

    Mike Easter Guest

    Emrys Davies wrote:
    > I have Win98 SE, OE6 and IE6
    >
    > Quite often lately when I select Standby I get Asherv (Not Respnding)

    in
    > the Close Program window and sometimes I can remove it and continue by
    > using Ctrl>lt>Delete>End Task. Any ideas please?

    The legitimate asherv.exe is supposed to be part of the Avast AV
    function.

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, May 24, 2009
  5. Emrys Davies

    Emrys Davies Guest

    "Emrys Davies" <> wrote in message

    > "VanguardLH" <> wrote in message
    > > Emrys Davies wrote:
    > >
    > > > I have Win98 SE, OE6 and IE6
    > > >
    > > > Quite often lately when I select Standby I get Asherv (Not

    > Respnding) in
    > > > the Close Program window and sometimes I can remove it and

    continue
    > by
    > > > using Ctrl>lt>Delete>End Task. Any ideas please?

    > > Where did you find the asherv.exe file when you searched for it?

    Sorry, I have fooled you. It is Ashserv. It is in C:/Program
    Files/Alwil Software/Avast 4. I have Avast software installed.

    Emrys Davies, May 24, 2009
  6. Emrys Davies

    VanguardLH Guest

    Emrys Davies wrote:

    > "VanguardLH" wrote ...
    >>
    >> Emrys Davies wrote:
    >>>
    >>> I have Win98 SE, OE6 and IE6
    >>>
    >>> Quite often lately when I select Standby I get Asherv (Not Respnding) in
    >>> the Close Program window and sometimes I can remove it and continue by
    >>> using Ctrl>lt>Delete>End Task. Any ideas please?

    >> Where did you find the asherv.exe file when you searched for it?

    > Sorry, I have fooled you. It is Ashserv. It is in C:/Program
    > Files/Alwil Software/Avast 4. I have Avast software installed.

    Although I use Avast!, I haven't used Windows 98 in about a decade.
    You sure you are going into Standby instead of, say, Hibernate or
    shutting down? Programs don't unload when going into Standby mode. If
    programs are unloading (i.e., you are seeing a Close dialog) then you
    are exiting Windows which means you are *not* going into Standby mode.
    The whole point of Standby mode is to leave everything running but just
    turn off some hardware and reduce the CPU's duty cycle to reduce power
    consumption, and you can immediately come out of Standby mode with
    everything running just like it was. If programs are closing then
    nothing is just like it was before going into Standby.

    http://forum.avast.com/ are their forums. If you don't catch someone
    here using both Avast and Windows 98 then you might find someone over
    in their forums. Of course, you could ask the source (you'll need to
    register): http://support.avast.com/index.php?_m=tickets&_a=submit.

    I'd suggest that you first determine why any programs are closing when
    you go into Standby mode. Programs remain running in Standby mode.
    VanguardLH, May 24, 2009