    other format, I have to setup 10 ASA, all the same config except some IPs
    and So I m looking for a quick way to do that?
    Rob

    Rob, Mar 24, 2010

  2. Rob

    Morph Guest

    Morph, Mar 24, 2010

  3. Rob

    Rob Guest

    "Morph" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > In the message <4baa7480$> Rob wrote:
    >
    > | Hi there
    > | is there anyway to replace and ASA5505 config file with a config.txt or
    > | other format, I have to setup 10 ASA, all the same config except some
    > IPs
    > | and So I m looking for a quick way to do that?
    > | Rob
    >
    > http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/vpndevc/ps2030/products_tech_note09186a008072142a.shtml
    > PIX/ASA: Backup and Restore the Security Appliance Configuration Files
    > Using TFTP Server

    thanks but looks like all the solutions merging tftp server's cofig file
    to running-config, how can I replace it totaly?

    Rob, Mar 25, 2010
  4. Rob

    Rob Guest

    Rob <> wrote:

    > "Morph" <> wrote in message
    >> In the message <4baa7480$> Rob wrote:
    >>
    >> | Hi there
    >> | is there anyway to replace and ASA5505 config file with a config.txt or
    >> | other format, I have to setup 10 ASA, all the same config except some
    >> IPs
    >> | and So I m looking for a quick way to do that?
    >> | Rob
    >>
    >> http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/vpndevc/ps2030/products_tech_note09186a008072142a.shtml
    >> PIX/ASA: Backup and Restore the Security Appliance Configuration Files
    >> Using TFTP Server

    > thanks but looks like all the solutions merging tftp server's cofig file
    > to running-config, how can I replace it totaly?

    From that description, use the variant that copies the tftp server's
    config file to the startup-config.
    Then reload the box.

    Don't use the variant that copies to running-config, that leads to
    subtle problems.

    Rob, Mar 25, 2010
  5. Rob a écrit :

    > is there anyway to replace and ASA5505 config file with a config.txt or
    > other format, I have to setup 10 ASA, all the same config except some IPs
    > and So I m looking for a quick way to do that?

    You can do it via the console or management port :

    ciscoasa# configure term
    .... >>> your configuration file to paste here <<<
    ciscoasa(config)# ^Z
    ciscoasa# write memory
    ciscoasa# reload

    The configuration file (you get it from a show running-configuration)
    can be edited for each ASA with the correct parameters. Be carefully with
    some hidden items (****).

    Using the management port is a DHCP by default.

    --
    Jacques Virchaux
    EPFL - DIT-TI _|_

    Jacques Virchaux, Mar 25, 2010
  6. Rob

    Rob Guest

    Jacques Virchaux <> wrote:
    > Rob a écrit :
    >
    >> is there anyway to replace and ASA5505 config file with a config.txt or
    >> other format, I have to setup 10 ASA, all the same config except some IPs
    >> and So I m looking for a quick way to do that?

    > You can do it via the console or management port :
    >
    > ciscoasa# configure term
    > ... >>> your configuration file to paste here <<<
    > ciscoasa(config)# ^Z
    > ciscoasa# write memory
    > ciscoasa# reload
    >
    > The configuration file (you get it from a show running-configuration)
    > can be edited for each ASA with the correct parameters. Be carefully with
    > some hidden items (****).

    This method has the same disadvantage as using "copy ... running-config".

    That is, when the existing config on your box has some settings and the
    config you try to load assumes they are set to default values, the merge
    of settings will not cure this. The setting remains.

    Often the first apparent problem when you try to do this is that the box
    has all interfaces set to "shutdown" and after the merging of the external
    config this remains so.

    That is why I prefer copying to startup-config and then reloading.
    Then, you don't have that problem.

    Rob, Mar 25, 2010
  7. Rob

    Morph Guest

    In the message <4baab62a$> Rob wrote:

    | "Morph" <> wrote in message
    | > In the message <4baa7480$> Rob wrote:
    | >
    | > | Hi there
    | > | is there anyway to replace and ASA5505 config file with a config.txt or
    | > | other format, I have to setup 10 ASA, all the same config except some
    | > IPs
    | > | and So I m looking for a quick way to do that?
    | > | Rob
    | >
    | > http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/vpndevc/ps2030/products_tech_note09186a008072142a.shtml
    | > PIX/ASA: Backup and Restore the Security Appliance Configuration Files
    | > Using TFTP Server
    |
    | thanks but looks like all the solutions merging tftp server's cofig file
    | to running-config, how can I replace it totaly?

    Copy to startup config.

    Morph, Mar 25, 2010
  8. Rob

    Brian V Guest

    "Rob" <> wrote in message
    > Rob <> wrote:
    >>

    >> "Morph" <> wrote in message

    >>> or
    >>> IPs
    >>>
    >>> http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/vpndevc/ps2030/products_tech_note09186a008072142a.shtml
    >>> PIX/ASA: Backup and Restore the Security Appliance Configuration Files
    >>> Using TFTP Server

    >> thanks but looks like all the solutions merging tftp server's cofig
    >> file
    >> to running-config, how can I replace it totaly?

    You can also just put the config in to a text file, edit it however you need
    on a per site basis via notepad, copy it to the flash and use the "boot
    config disk0:/filename.text"

    Brian V, Mar 25, 2010
  9. Am 25.03.2010 10:11 schrieb Jacques Virchaux:
    > You can do it via the console or management port :
    >
    > ciscoasa# configure term
    > ... >>> your configuration file to paste here <<<
    > ciscoasa(config)# ^Z
    > ciscoasa# write memory
    > ciscoasa# reload
    >
    > The configuration file (you get it from a show running-configuration)
    > can be edited for each ASA with the correct parameters. Be carefully with
    > some hidden items (****).

    There are many cases where that will not work.

    The simplest and most frequent one: you cannot change the internal
    IP address of an ASA that has dhcpd enabled that way. First the
    "ip address" command will be rejected because it conflicts with
    the old dhcp address range, and then the subsequent "dhcpd address"
    command will be rejected because it conflicts with the as yet
    unchanged interface address.

    HTH
    T.

    Tilman Schmidt, Mar 27, 2010