    Device Manager Version 5.2(3)

    CPU and memory usage are also within normal.

    It is a standalone unit (not configured in failover).
    Morph, Aug 18, 2008

  2. Morph

    Merv Guest

    On Aug 18, 10:01 am, Morph <> wrote:
    > ASA 5510 seems to work normaly but it restarts itself a dozen times a
    > day.
    > Does anyone have an idea what might cause this?
    >
    > It is connected to an UPS so power failure should not be the cause.
    > I found some info on the internet that inspect esmtp might cause this.
    > It was removed from the configuration but nothing changed.
    >
    > The software version is:
    > Cisco Adaptive Security Appliance Software Version 7.2(3)

    You might want to give 7.2.4 a try to see if it address your issue
    Merv, Aug 18, 2008

  3. Morph

    Morph Guest

    In the message
    <> Merv
    wrote:

    | On Aug 18, 10:01 am, Morph <> wrote:
    | > ASA 5510 seems to work normaly but it restarts itself a dozen times a
    | > day.
    | > Does anyone have an idea what might cause this?
    | >
    | > It is connected to an UPS so power failure should not be the cause.
    | > I found some info on the internet that inspect esmtp might cause this.
    | > It was removed from the configuration but nothing changed.
    | >
    | > The software version is:
    | > Cisco Adaptive Security Appliance Software Version 7.2(3)
    |

    | You might want to give 7.2.4 a try to see if it address your issue

    Do you prefer version 7.2.4 over 8.X. To refrase the question if we
    upgrade the software is there any particular reason not to upgrade to
    8.X version?
    Thank you for your time.
    Morph, Aug 18, 2008
  4. Morph

    Scott Perry Guest

    I encourage you to upgrade to the 8.x.x series for the added benefits over
    the 7.x.x series. There are additional benefits like EIGRP and OSPF routing
    protocol as well as a higher version of the ASDM, if you use it.
    There is no reason not to upgrade to 8.x.x because the memory and flash
    space requirements for 8.x.x and 7.x.x are similar. 8.0.4 requires 256MB of
    RAM and at least 16MB of flash drive space for the ASA 5510, just like 7.2.4
    does. The file for 7.2.4 is smaller, but still is within the 64MB limit of
    a standard ASA 5510 flash drive from the factory.

    Do not use 8.0.1 because it contained a bug where the ASA would unexpectedly
    reboot. The reboots were triggered some time after SSH connections to the
    ASA ended. Use version 8.0.2, 8.0.3, or 8.0.4 so you will not move on to
    another possible cause for ASA device reboots.

    It is unfortunate that the ASA does not show the reason for its last boot
    like the IOS routers and switches.

    -----
    Scott Perry
    Indianapolis, IN
    -----

    Scott Perry, Aug 18, 2008
  5. In article <>,
    Morph <> wrote:
    >ASA 5510 seems to work normaly but it restarts itself a dozen times a
    >day.
    >Does anyone have an idea what might cause this?

    Could be as simple as a loose power connector. The older PIX 501
    and 506/506E were prone to such problems.
    Walter Roberson, Aug 18, 2008
  6. Morph

    Merv Guest

    | You might want to give 7.2.4 a try to see if it address your issue

    Do you prefer version 7.2.4 over 8.X. To refrase the question if we
    upgrade the software is there any particular reason not to upgrade to
    8.X version?

    Remember the numbering convention conveys whether the release is a
    major change or a minor change

    Also keep in mind that lots of new features typically means lots of
    new bugs.

    Do you need features that are in 8.x ; you should consider this
    question carefully.

    Think about the impact if you have to back out the release 7.2.4 or
    8.x - it happens - I have had to do it more times than I care to
    think about

    Get the release notes for which ever target images you are considering
    and go over them very carefully - looks at what has been resolved and
    what caveats are still open.

    And as Walters has pointed out check the power cords, etc
    Merv, Aug 19, 2008
  7. Morph

    Morph Guest

    In the message
    <> Merv
    wrote:

    | On Aug 18, 10:01 am, Morph <> wrote:
    | > ASA 5510 seems to work normaly but it restarts itself a dozen times a
    | > day.
    | > Does anyone have an idea what might cause this?
    | >
    | > It is connected to an UPS so power failure should not be the cause.
    | > I found some info on the internet that inspect esmtp might cause this.
    | > It was removed from the configuration but nothing changed.
    | >
    | > The software version is:
    | > Cisco Adaptive Security Appliance Software Version 7.2(3)
    |

    | You might want to give 7.2.4 a try to see if it address your issue

    Installed 7.2.4 and that seems to have fixed the problem. The ASA stoped
    rebooting itself and everything seems to be normal.
    Thanx everyone for taking the time to respond.
    Morph, Aug 25, 2008