ASA 5505, Internet Upload Speeds and Insanity

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by slaquer, Apr 9, 2010.

  1. slaquer

    slaquer

    Joined:
    Jan 3, 2009
    Messages:
    9
    We have a 15Mb fiber internet connection. Here are the scenarios I have been through and need someone to tell me what is going on.

    Initially I could not get anything better than 5/5 speeds, but after playing with the speed/duplex settings, I get the following results as shown below. I know you are supposed to be matched speeds everywhere, but that does not work in this scenario. Nothing is making sense right now and I am stuck. Looking for any suggestions:

    What I have tried (I have tried a lot more than this, but these are the most consistent results):

    1) Laptop directly connected to fiber I get 15/15. Laptop is AUTO/AUTO and fiber hardware is 100/FULL

    2) Laptop connected to ASA. ASA connected to fiber. Laptop auto/auto. ASA auto/full to laptop. ASA 100/FULL to fiber. I get 15/15.

    3) Laptop connected to ASA. ASA connected to fiber. Laptop 100/full. ASA 100/full to laptop. ASA 100/FULL to fiber. I get 15/5.

    4) Any other settings between the ASA and laptop get worse upload results.

    5) ASA 100/full to fiber. ASA 100/full to Cisco 4506. 4506 auto/FULL to ASA. Laptop AUTO/AUTO to 4506. I get 15/5.

    6) ASA 100/full to fiber. ASA 100/full to Cisco 4506. 4506 100/FULL to ASA. Laptop AUTO/AUTO to 4506. I get 15/3.

    7) Any settings other than AUTO/AUTO on laptop results in no connectivity or worse upload results.
    slaquer, Apr 9, 2010

  2. slaquer

    slaquer

    Joined:
    Jan 3, 2009
    Messages:
    9
    I also need to add that when everything is set to 100/full I get 5/3 speeds in every scenario. When everything is set to auto, some of the links negotiate 100/half and you know how that works.
    slaquer, Apr 9, 2010