    mode.

    Is there no way to do this?

    Thanks

    tman, Apr 15, 2008

  2. tman

    tman Guest

    On Apr 15, 2:32 pm, tman <> wrote:
    > I have configured an ASA 5505 for use in a branch office.  I purchased
    > a 50-user base license.  One ethernet port, eth0/7, is in vlan2
    > (outside) and the others are in vlan1.  I want to connect one of the
    > inside ports to a 20-port switch just to have more ports.  I do not
    > want to trunk vlans.  It does not work.  I thought I would try to
    > change the mode of one of the inside ports to trunk mode instead of
    > access mode.  It says with this license I can't change it to trunk
    > mode.
    >
    > Is there no way to do this?
    >
    > Thanks

    I was connecting an el cheapo Linksys switch to the ASA using a
    staraight-through cable from the uplink port to an inside port on the
    ASA. This did not work. A straight-through or a cross-over from a
    regular port on the Linksys to an inside port on the ASA works. I
    guess the uplink port on the ASA confuses the autosensing on the
    ASA. :)

    tman, Apr 18, 2008

  3. tman

    News Reader Guest

    tman wrote:
    > On Apr 15, 2:32 pm, tman <> wrote:
    >> I have configured an ASA 5505 for use in a branch office. I purchased
    >> a 50-user base license. One ethernet port, eth0/7, is in vlan2
    >> (outside) and the others are in vlan1. I want to connect one of the
    >> inside ports to a 20-port switch just to have more ports. I do not
    >> want to trunk vlans. It does not work. I thought I would try to
    >> change the mode of one of the inside ports to trunk mode instead of
    >> access mode. It says with this license I can't change it to trunk
    >> mode.
    >>
    >> Is there no way to do this?
    >>
    >> Thanks

    > I was connecting an el cheapo Linksys switch to the ASA using a
    > staraight-through cable from the uplink port to an inside port on the
    > ASA. This did not work. A straight-through or a cross-over from a
    > regular port on the Linksys to an inside port on the ASA works. I
    > guess the uplink port on the ASA confuses the autosensing on the
    > ASA. :)

    Sometimes the uplink port on a device is an "either/or".

    E.g.: You can use port x on the switch OR the uplink, but not both
    simultaneously.

    Perhaps, while connecting the uplink, the port which it is associated
    with had a device connected to it.

    Best Regards,
    News Reader

    News Reader, Apr 18, 2008