%ASA-3-305006: regular translation creation failed for protocol 50

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by dt1649651@yahoo.com, Apr 27, 2008.

  1. Guest

    I have a ASA5505 as the router to the internet for my home PC. The
    config is just to NAT the private addresses to the public on the
    outside interface.

    I can go to the Internet just fine. ( I am writing this post thru that
    configuration right now ). The problem is when I making the vpn
    connection ( with Cisco VPN Client ) to my office, although the Vpn
    Client reports "Connected", I cannot access anything there and the log
    on the ASA keeps showing

    %ASA-3-305006: regular translation creation failed for protocol 50 src
    inside:172.31.1.3 dst outside:x.y.z.t
    %ASA-3-305006: regular translation creation failed for protocol 50 src
    inside:172.31.1.3 dst outside:x.y.z.t
    %ASA-3-305006: regular translation creation failed for protocol 50 src
    inside:172.31.1.3 dst outside:x.y.z.t

    When I replace the ASA5505 with a Cisco 871, everything works fine.

    Below is my configuration
    ASA Version 7.2(3)
    !
    hostname a5505-1
    enable password xYzTxYzT encrypted
    names
    !
    interface Vlan1
    nameif inside
    security-level 1
    ip address 172.31.1.1 255.255.255.0
    !
    interface Vlan2
    nameif outside
    security-level 0
    dhcp client update dns
    ip address dhcp setroute
    !
    interface Ethernet0/0
    switchport access vlan 2
    !
    interface Ethernet0/1
    !
    interface Ethernet0/2
    !
    interface Ethernet0/3
    !
    interface Ethernet0/4
    !
    interface Ethernet0/5
    !
    interface Ethernet0/6
    !
    interface Ethernet0/7
    !
    passwd xYzT encrypted
    ftp mode passive
    dns domain-lookup outside
    access-list out_in extended permit esp any any
    access-list out_in extended permit udp any any eq isakmp
    access-list out_in extended permit udp any any eq 4500
    access-list out_in extended permit tcp any any eq ssh
    access-list out_in extended permit icmp any any
    access-list nat_conversion extended permit ip 172.31.1.0 255.255.255.0
    any
    access-list nat_conversion extended permit ip 192.168.0.0
    255.255.255.0 any
    pager lines 24
    logging console notifications
    logging monitor debugging
    logging asdm informational
    mtu inside 1500
    mtu outside 1500
    icmp unreachable rate-limit 1 burst-size 1
    icmp permit any inside
    icmp permit any outside
    asdm image disk0:/asdm-523.bin
    no asdm history enable
    arp timeout 14400
    global (outside) 1 interface
    nat (inside) 1 access-list nat_conversion
    access-group out_in in interface outside
    timeout xlate 3:00:00
    timeout conn 1:00:00 half-closed 0:10:00 udp 0:02:00 icmp 0:00:02
    timeout sunrpc 0:10:00 h323 0:05:00 h225 1:00:00 mgcp 0:05:00 mgcp-pat
    0:05:00
    timeout sip 0:30:00 sip_media 0:02:00 sip-invite 0:03:00 sip-
    disconnect 0:02:00
    timeout uauth 0:05:00 absolute
    http server enable
    http 192.168.0.0 255.255.0.0 inside
    no snmp-server location
    no snmp-server contact
    snmp-server enable traps snmp authentication linkup linkdown coldstart
    crypto isakmp enable outside
    telnet timeout 5
    ssh 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 inside
    ssh 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 outside
    ssh timeout 5
    console timeout 0
    dhcp-client client-id interface outside
    dhcpd auto_config outside
    !
    dhcpd address 172.31.1.2-172.31.1.15 inside
    dhcpd update dns interface inside
    dhcpd enable inside
    !

    !
    class-map inspection_default
    match default-inspection-traffic
    !
    !
    policy-map type inspect dns preset_dns_map
    parameters
    message-length maximum 512
    policy-map global_policy
    class inspection_default
    inspect dns preset_dns_map
    inspect ftp
    inspect h323 h225
    inspect h323 ras
    inspect rsh
    inspect rtsp
    inspect esmtp
    inspect sqlnet
    inspect skinny
    inspect sunrpc
    inspect xdmcp
    inspect sip
    inspect netbios
    inspect tftp
    !
    service-policy global_policy global
    username nov_ezvpn_user2 password Qr4CR53E2Slxxx encrypted
    username nov_ezvpn_user1 password .c9X1tUCiUaJxxx encrypted
    prompt hostname context
    Cryptochecksum:be358d2bc37be11be0477ed7f8b61764
    : end
    a5505-1(config)#

    Any adive is greatly appreciated.

    Dt

    , Apr 27, 2008

  2. Guest

    Re: %ASA-3-305006: regular translation creation failed for protocol

    After adding this line

    static (inside,outside) interface 172.31.1.3

    with 172.31.1.3 being my PC's ip, then my PC can access the company
    network thru Cisco VPN but this command applies to only one IP
    address.

    Trying this
    static (inside,outside) interface 172.31.1.0 netmask 255.255.255.0
    gives me an error.

    My other PCs on the internal network still cannot use the Cisco VPN
    Client.

    Any advice is greatly appreciated.

    Dt

    , Apr 27, 2008

  3. In article <>,
    <> wrote:
    >I have a ASA5505 as the router to the internet for my home PC. The
    >config is just to NAT the private addresses to the public on the
    >outside interface.

    >I can go to the Internet just fine. ( I am writing this post thru that
    >configuration right now ). The problem is when I making the vpn
    >connection ( with Cisco VPN Client ) to my office, although the Vpn
    >Client reports "Connected", I cannot access anything there and the log
    >on the ASA keeps showing

    >%ASA-3-305006: regular translation creation failed for protocol 50 src
    >inside:172.31.1.3 dst outside:x.y.z.t

    crypto isakmp nat-traversal

    Walter Roberson, Apr 27, 2008
  4. Guest

    On Apr 27, 11:45 am, (Walter Roberson) wrote:
    > In article <>,
    >
    > <> wrote:
    > >I have a ASA5505 as the router to the internet for my home PC. The
    > >config is just to NAT the private addresses to the public on the
    > >outside interface.
    > >I can go to the Internet just fine. ( I am writing this post thru that
    > >configuration right now ). The problem is when I making the vpn
    > >connection ( with Cisco VPN Client ) to my office, although the Vpn
    > >Client reports "Connected", I cannot access anything there and the log
    > >on the ASA keeps showing
    > >%ASA-3-305006: regular translation creation failed for protocol 50 src
    > >inside:172.31.1.3 dst outside:x.y.z.t

    > crypto isakmp nat-traversal

    Thanks, Walter. I just tried that but it did not fix the problem.

    Dt

    , Apr 27, 2008
  5. Darren Guest

    wrote:
    > On Apr 27, 11:45 am, (Walter Roberson) wrote:
    >> In article <>,
    >>
    >> <> wrote:
    >>> I have a ASA5505 as the router to the internet for my home PC. The
    >>> config is just to NAT the private addresses to the public on the
    >>> outside interface.
    >>> I can go to the Internet just fine. ( I am writing this post thru that
    >>> configuration right now ). The problem is when I making the vpn
    >>> connection ( with Cisco VPN Client ) to my office, although the Vpn
    >>> Client reports "Connected", I cannot access anything there and the log
    >>> on the ASA keeps showing
    >>> %ASA-3-305006: regular translation creation failed for protocol 50 src
    >>> inside:172.31.1.3 dst outside:x.y.z.t

    >> crypto isakmp nat-traversal

    > Thanks, Walter. I just tried that but it did not fix the problem.
    >
    > Dt

    Found this on the Cisco WWW site.

    It was for ASA version 7.2, you may want to refine the search. The error
    seems to suggest that you may have been trying to reach a network or
    broadcast address. The WWW page I looked at was:

    http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/security/asa/asa72/system/message/logmsgs.html#wp1280915

    Error: 305006

    Error Message %PIX|ASA-3-305006: {outbound
    static|identity|portmap|regular)
    translation creation failed for protocol src
    interface_name:source_address/source_port
    dst interface_name:dest_address/dest_port

    Explanation A protocol (UDP, TCP, or ICMP) failed to create a
    translation through the security appliance. This message appears as a
    fix to caveat CSCdr00663 that requested that security appliance not
    allow packets that are destined for network or broadcast addresses. The
    security appliance provides this checking for addresses that are
    explicitly identified with static command statements. With the change,
    for inbound traffic, the security appliance denies translations for a
    destined IP address identified as a network or broadcast address.

    The security appliance does not apply PAT to all ICMP message types; it
    only applies PAT ICMP echo and echo-reply packets (types 8 and 0).
    Specifically, only ICMP echo or echo-reply packets create a PAT xlate.
    So, when the other ICMP messages types are dropped, system log message
    305006 (on the security appliance) is generated.

    The security appliance utilizes the global IP and mask from configured
    static command statements to differ regular IP addresses from network or
    broadcast IP addresses. If the global IP address is a valid network
    address with a matching network mask, then the security appliance does
    not create a translation for network or broadcast IP addresses with
    inbound packets.

    For example:

    static (inside,outside) 10.2.2.128 10.1.1.128 netmask 255.255.255.128

    Regards

    Darren

    Darren, Apr 27, 2008
  6. sigideba

    Joined:
    Apr 27, 2008
    Messages:
    6
    Hi Darren,

    From what i see it looks like you're missing the NAT traversal command Walter mentioned as well as a NAT pool for the VPN clients to grab an IP from. The access-list allows the pool but doesn't create it... just throwing that out there. I'm still pretty new to client VPNs but it seems to be missing and that would explain the NATing error message you're seeing...

    ip local pool vpn-client-pool x.x.x.x-y.y.y.y {matched to the ACL}

    along with the NAT traversal command Walter mentioned might take care of it?? Got my fingers crossed. :p

    sigideba, Apr 28, 2008
  7. sigideba

    Joined:
    Apr 27, 2008
    Messages:
    6
    Hi Darren,

    I'm pretty new to client VPNs but it looks you're missing a NAT pool for VPN clients to grab an IP from... throw in the NAT traversal command Walter recommend plus the pool and the application of the pool and cross your fingers :p

    crypto isakmp nat-traversal X
    ip local pool client-vpn-pool x.x.x.x-y.y.y.y.y

    tunnel-group-policy {tunnel name}
    address-pool client-vpn-pool

    I really have no clue what I'm doing but those commands seem to be missing so maybe it'll help...

    sigideba

    sigideba, Apr 28, 2008
  8. Re: %ASA-3-305006: regular translation creation failed for protocol 50 src inside:172.31.1.3 dst outside:x.y.z.t

    Hi,

    This has nothing to do with your config....
    But walter is right - you need IPSEC nat-traversal - just in the other end !
    and/or you need to checkmark UDP encap in your VPN Dialer !

    As you do not use VPN in the ASA, you can also configure a fixup for ESP...

    ahh whats the ASA syntax ....

    hmm maybe

    policy-map global_policy
    class inspection_default
    inspect ipsec-pass-thru

    But I really think it's your VPN dialer you need to fix ..

    HTH
    Martin

    Martin Bilgrav, Apr 28, 2008
  9. Guest

    Re: %ASA-3-305006: regular translation creation failed for protocol

    On Apr 27, 3:57 pm, Darren <>
    wrote:
    > It was for ASA version 7.2, you may want to refine the search. The error
    > seems to suggest that you may have been trying to reach a network or
    > broadcast address. The WWW page I looked at was:
    >
    > http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/security/asa/asa72/system/message/log...
    >
    > Error: 305006

    Thanks, Daren.

    I also looked at that page and tried the static command. See my
    allow a whole (internal) network and that command does not allow me to
    do it.

    Dt

    , Apr 29, 2008
  10. Guest

    Re: %ASA-3-305006: regular translation creation failed for protocol

    On Apr 28, 12:19 pm, "Martin Bilgrav" <>
    wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > This has nothing to do with your config....
    > But walter is right - you need IPSEC nat-traversal - just in the other end !
    > and/or you need to checkmark UDP encap in your VPN Dialer !
    >
    > As you do not use VPN in the ASA, you can also configure a fixup for ESP...
    >
    > ahh whats the ASA syntax ....
    >
    > hmm maybe
    >
    > policy-map global_policy
    > class inspection_default
    > inspect ipsec-pass-thru
    >
    > But I really think it's your VPN dialer you need to fix ..

    Thanks, Martin.
    When I add the command "isakmp nat traversal " to my ASA, it does fix
    the problem.
    When I add that command to the remote ASA ( VPN gateway ) I cannot
    make the VPN connection.
    Also tried the inspect ipsec-pass-thru.

    I notice that this happens when I make the vpn connection to a remote
    ASA. If the remote VPN gateway is an IOS router then the local ASA
    does not complain anything.

    Dt

    , Apr 29, 2008
  11. Guest

    Re: %ASA-3-305006: regular translation creation failed for protocol

    A little bit more. I am trying to tackle this problem on that NAT
    side. I put the ASA5505 behind a Cisco router and let the this router
    does the NAT translation and take the nat function out of the ASA. My
    PC is behind the ASA ( and the Cisco router ). In this situation, the
    Cisco VPN Client on my PC works just fine. The connection is ok and I
    can access the remote network just fine.

    So what is the difference in NAT translation bewteen an IOS and a
    ASA ?

    Dt

    , Apr 29, 2008
  12. Guest

    Re: %ASA-3-305006: regular translation creation failed for protocol

    On Apr 28, 10:57 pm, "" <>
    wrote:
    > Thanks, Martin.
    > When I add the command "isakmp nat traversal " to my ASA, it does fix
    > the problem.
    > When I add that command to the remote ASA ( VPN gateway ) I cannot
    > make the VPN connection.
    > Also tried the inspect ipsec-pass-thru.
    >
    > I notice that this happens when I make the vpn connection to a remote
    > ASA. If the remote VPN gateway is an IOS router then the local ASA
    > does not complain anything.

    I just re-read my post andam very sorry for my missing important word
    ( I worked a lot of hours yesterday ).
    > When I add the command "isakmp nat traversal " to my ASA, it does ***NOT*** fix
    > the problem.

    In other words, all the nat traversal does not fix the problem, no
    matter where it is on the remote or local ASA.

    I am very sorry for my typp.

    Dt

    , Apr 30, 2008
  13. Re: %ASA-3-305006: regular translation creation failed for protocol 50 src inside:172.31.1.3 dst outside:x.y.z.t

    <> wrote in message
    > On Apr 28, 10:57 pm, "" <>
    > wrote:

    > In other words, all the nat traversal does not fix the problem, no
    > matter where it is on the remote or local ASA.

    Did you verify that you actually HAVE the setting enabled in your VPN client
    software ?

    Martin Bilgrav, May 1, 2008
  14. Guest

    Re: %ASA-3-305006: regular translation creation failed for protocol

    On May 1, 12:14 pm, "Martin Bilgrav" <>
    wrote:
    > <> wrote in message

    > > On Apr 28, 10:57 pm, "" <>
    > > wrote:
    > > In other words, all the nat traversal does not fix the problem, no
    > > matter where it is on the remote or local ASA.

    > Did you verify that you actually HAVE the setting enabled in your VPN client
    > software ?

    Yes. I did. I went to the tab Transport of Cisco VPN Client 4.8, had
    the option Enable Transparent Tunneling on, and select IPSec over
    UDP(NAT/PAT). In fact, this option is on by default. I also tried
    turned it off. Both cases does not fix the problem.

    As I posted in my previous, this problem will not happen if the remote
    is an IOS router. I tried six different IOS routers configured ( by
    different peope, not only me ) as VPN gateway sand all worked. When I
    have an ASA as the remote VPN gateway, this problem appears.

    I am going to grab another ASA to make it the vpn gateway and will
    test it again.

    Thanks,

    Dt

    , May 2, 2008
  15. Re: %ASA-3-305006: regular translation creation failed for protocol 50 src inside:172.31.1.3 dst outside:x.y.z.t

    <> wrote in message
    > On May 1, 12:14 pm, "Martin Bilgrav" <>
    > wrote:
    >> <> wrote in message

    >> > On Apr 28, 10:57 pm, "" <>
    >> > wrote:
    >> > In other words, all the nat traversal does not fix the problem, no
    >> > matter where it is on the remote or local ASA.

    >> Did you verify that you actually HAVE the setting enabled in your VPN
    >> client
    >> software ?

    > Yes. I did. I went to the tab Transport of Cisco VPN Client 4.8, had
    > the option Enable Transparent Tunneling on, and select IPSec over
    > UDP(NAT/PAT). In fact, this option is on by default. I also tried
    > turned it off. Both cases does not fix the problem.

    ok - super !

    > As I posted in my previous, this problem will not happen if the remote
    > is an IOS router. I tried six different IOS routers configured ( by
    > different peope, not only me ) as VPN gateway sand all worked. When I
    > have an ASA as the remote VPN gateway, this problem appears.

    Ok - it's just that your first post, contained a config from a ASA, but i
    did not see any VPN config in it ?!
    Could you try to post the complete config of your ASA VPN headend/gateway.

    Martin Bilgrav, May 2, 2008
  16. Guest

    Re: %ASA-3-305006: regular translation creation failed for protocol

    On May 2, 12:30 pm, "Martin Bilgrav" <>
    wrote:

    > Ok - it's just that your first post, contained a config from a ASA, but i
    > did not see any VPN config in it ?!
    > Could you try to post the complete config of your ASA VPN headend/gateway.

    That config is for the remote ASA which plays the role of a NAT
    translator only. The VPN client is on the PC.
    I just got an ASA for replaying the VPN gateway. I am going to copy
    the VPN parts from the real ASA gateway to this test ASA, try it again
    and will post it.

    Thanks,

    Dt

    , May 3, 2008
  17. javijavi

    Joined:
    May 5, 2009
    Messages:
    1
    Hello all,
    I have the same problem as this user, the following logs appear in the asa when an inside host tries to establish an VPN connection with an outside host:
    %ASA-3-305006: regular translation creation failed for protocol 50 src INSIDE:192.168.X.X dst OUTSIDE:<vpn GW>
    %ASA-6-110003: routing failed to locate next hop for ESP from OUTSIDE:<vpn gw> to INSIDE:<outside interface address>

    I've tried all the things you've said in this post (nat-t, inspect ipsec-pass-through, inspect pptp) and it does not work.
    I replace the ASA with a Zyxel router which only does PAT and the VPN connection from the inside host to the VPN gw works fine.

    Any more ideas??

    Thanks in advance,
    Javi

    javijavi, May 5, 2009