Artificially limit total RAM in XP

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Dogboy, Mar 16, 2011.

  1. Dogboy

    Dogboy Guest

    Hey Guys

    One of the companies I deal with has some legacy software done in VB4 to
    control some machinery that will NOT run on a computer with 512mb or
    more RAM. This stuff is literally ancient but they have managed to get
    by purchasing old laptops (needs to be mobile) running 256mb XP. Its
    not pretty but it worked.

    As you can imagine a couple years on 256MB laptops are getting rarer and
    flakier.

    Now I remember that during my original research into the problem I found
    a way to artificially limit the ram of a XP machine to whatever you
    wanted by adding a setting in the registry or boot.ini or something like
    that but damned if I can find out what that is now.

    Any experts around here know what I'm talking about?

    Cheers

    Dogboy, Mar 16, 2011

  2. Dogboy

    AD. Guest

    On Mar 16, 1:19 pm, Dogboy <> wrote:
    > Hey Guys
    >
    > One of the companies I deal with has some legacy software done in VB4 to
    > control some machinery that will NOT run on a computer with 512mb or
    > more RAM. This stuff is literally ancient but they have managed to get
    > by purchasing old laptops (needs to be mobile) running 256mb XP.  Its
    > not pretty but it worked.
    >
    > As you can imagine a couple years on 256MB laptops are getting rarer and
    > flakier.
    >
    > Now I remember that during my original research into the problem I found
    > a way to artificially limit the ram of a XP machine to whatever you
    > wanted by adding a setting in the registry or boot.ini or something like
    > that but damned if I can find out what that is now.
    >
    > Any experts around here know what I'm talking about?

    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff542290.aspx

    Also, does the software work in a virtual machine? That's one way of
    setting the RAM size, while still allowing other software to use the
    full amount :)

    --
    Cheers
    Anton

    AD., Mar 16, 2011

  3. Dogboy

    Dogboy Guest

    On 16/03/2011 1:45 p.m., AD. wrote:
    > On Mar 16, 1:19 pm, Dogboy<> wrote:
    >> Hey Guys
    >>
    >> One of the companies I deal with has some legacy software done in VB4 to
    >> control some machinery that will NOT run on a computer with 512mb or
    >> more RAM. This stuff is literally ancient but they have managed to get
    >> by purchasing old laptops (needs to be mobile) running 256mb XP. Its
    >> not pretty but it worked.
    >>
    >> As you can imagine a couple years on 256MB laptops are getting rarer and
    >> flakier.
    >>
    >> Now I remember that during my original research into the problem I found
    >> a way to artificially limit the ram of a XP machine to whatever you
    >> wanted by adding a setting in the registry or boot.ini or something like
    >> that but damned if I can find out what that is now.
    >>
    >> Any experts around here know what I'm talking about?

    > http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff542290.aspx
    >
    > Also, does the software work in a virtual machine? That's one way of
    > setting the RAM size, while still allowing other software to use the
    > full amount :)

    Ahh yes, thats it. Thanks a lot.

    As for a virtual machine, that was plan C but the laptops only need to
    run this one piece of software and nothing else so reduced memory isnt a
    big problem.

    Cheers

    Dogboy, Mar 16, 2011
  4. In message <ilovmk$l16$>, Dogboy wrote:

    > One of the companies I deal with has some legacy software done in VB4 to
    > control some machinery that will NOT run on a computer with 512mb or
    > more RAM.

    Ah, the joys of signed integer arithmetic...

    Though I would have expected the threshold to be 2GiB.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Mar 16, 2011
  5. Dogboy

    David Empson Guest

    Dogboy <> wrote:

    > Hey Guys
    >
    > One of the companies I deal with has some legacy software done in VB4 to
    > control some machinery that will NOT run on a computer with 512mb or
    > more RAM. This stuff is literally ancient but they have managed to get
    > by purchasing old laptops (needs to be mobile) running 256mb XP. Its
    > not pretty but it worked.
    >
    > As you can imagine a couple years on 256MB laptops are getting rarer and
    > flakier.
    >
    > Now I remember that during my original research into the problem I found
    > a way to artificially limit the ram of a XP machine to whatever you
    > wanted by adding a setting in the registry or boot.ini or something like
    > that but damned if I can find out what that is now.
    >
    > Any experts around here know what I'm talking about?

    I don't know the answer to that question, but this discussion thread has
    some possible ideas to explore:

    <http://stackoverflow.com/questions/192876/set-windows-process-or-user-m
    emory-limit>

    (found via Google search for "set RAM limit for Windows XP")

    Another idea which occurs to me is to run a copy of Windows inside a
    virtual machine (e.g. VMware, Virtual PC or similar), where you can
    limit the RAM available to the virtual machine, simulating a computer
    with less memory. For example, this may be possible with the copy of
    Windows XP in a VM included with higher end variants of Windows 7.

    The main question is whether the VM has sufficient access to whichever
    hardware interface is required to control the machinery.

    --
    David Empson

    David Empson, Mar 16, 2011