Artifacts in Nikon Coolpix 2200?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Ioannis, Aug 19, 2004.

  1. Ioannis

    Ioannis Guest

    Yesterday, I took some pictures of my gf in her summer resort's porch,
    with my newly acquired Nikon Coolpix 2200.

    Does anyone have any idea what these faint and hazy circular artifacts
    that show on all the subsequent pictures are and what caused them?
    There's only one in the first shot (154), around 10-11 in 155 and around
    3-4 in 167. On other pictures they don't show at all.

    After taking 20 more pictures from similar angles, I also shot one
    against the empty sky (172) to the right, which still shows some such
    (although very faint) above the house lights.

    I also took a daytime picture albeit from a slightly different angle)
    for comparison.

    http://www.virtualcomposer2000.com/digital/DSCN0154.jpg
    http://www.virtualcomposer2000.com/digital/DSCN0155.jpg
    http://www.virtualcomposer2000.com/digital/DSCN0167.jpg
    http://www.virtualcomposer2000.com/digital/DSCN0175.jpg
    http://www.virtualcomposer2000.com/digital/DSCN0172.jpg

    I've used the cam, for around 10 days, so its brand new.

    Thanks much in advance,
    --
    I. N. Galidakis
    http://users.forthnet.gr/ath/jgal/

    Ioannis, Aug 19, 2004

  2. "Ioannis" <> ha scritto nel messaggio
    > Yesterday, I took some pictures of my gf in her summer resort's porch,
    > with my newly acquired Nikon Coolpix 2200.
    >
    > Does anyone have any idea what these faint and hazy circular artifacts
    > that show on all the subsequent pictures are and what caused them?
    > There's only one in the first shot (154), around 10-11 in 155 and around
    > 3-4 in 167. On other pictures they don't show at all.
    >
    > After taking 20 more pictures from similar angles, I also shot one
    > against the empty sky (172) to the right, which still shows some such
    > (although very faint) above the house lights.
    >
    > I also took a daytime picture albeit from a slightly different angle)
    > for comparison.
    >
    > http://www.virtualcomposer2000.com/digital/DSCN0154.jpg
    > http://www.virtualcomposer2000.com/digital/DSCN0155.jpg
    > http://www.virtualcomposer2000.com/digital/DSCN0167.jpg
    > http://www.virtualcomposer2000.com/digital/DSCN0175.jpg
    > http://www.virtualcomposer2000.com/digital/DSCN0172.jpg
    >
    > I've used the cam, for around 10 days, so its brand new.
    >
    > Thanks much in advance,
    > --
    > I. N. Galidakis
    > http://users.forthnet.gr/ath/jgal/
    > Eventually, _everything_ is understandable

    They look like dust speckles in mid-air, blown out by the flash against the dark
    background.
    Was the place dusty at any point? I saw same results in pictures taken inside a
    house being rebuilt, with flash against a dark background. That explains why the
    white blobs are never in the same spot and also why they don't show in daylight
    (no flash).

    Hope this helps.

    FDKS

    Fedman Kassad, Aug 19, 2004

  3. Ioannis

    nikonpro Guest

    On Thu, 19 Aug 2004 14:04:28 +0300, Ioannis <>
    wrote:

    >Yesterday, I took some pictures of my gf in her summer resort's porch,
    >with my newly acquired Nikon Coolpix 2200.
    >
    >Does anyone have any idea what these faint and hazy circular artifacts
    >that show on all the subsequent pictures are and what caused them?
    >There's only one in the first shot (154), around 10-11 in 155 and around
    >3-4 in 167. On other pictures they don't show at all.
    >
    >After taking 20 more pictures from similar angles, I also shot one
    >against the empty sky (172) to the right, which still shows some such
    >(although very faint) above the house lights.
    >
    >I also took a daytime picture albeit from a slightly different angle)
    >for comparison.
    >
    >http://www.virtualcomposer2000.com/digital/DSCN0154.jpg
    >http://www.virtualcomposer2000.com/digital/DSCN0155.jpg
    >http://www.virtualcomposer2000.com/digital/DSCN0167.jpg
    >http://www.virtualcomposer2000.com/digital/DSCN0175.jpg
    >http://www.virtualcomposer2000.com/digital/DSCN0172.jpg
    >
    >I've used the cam, for around 10 days, so its brand new.
    >
    >Thanks much in advance,

    It curiously looks like dust specks or similar on the CCD. I say
    curiously because the CCD is never exposed on this camera. I've seen
    similar on my D1x/D2H SLR's - but thats due to the CCD becoming
    exposed when changing lens.

    If the specks always occur in the same place that is definitely the
    cause (unless you have a dirty lens :)) )

    My advice is to return if this is the case if you can.

    nikonpro, Aug 19, 2004
  4. On Thu, 19 Aug 2004 20:02:28 +0400, nikonpro hath writ:
    > On Thu, 19 Aug 2004 14:04:28 +0300, Ioannis <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Yesterday, I took some pictures of my gf in her summer resort's porch,
    >>with my newly acquired Nikon Coolpix 2200.
    >>
    >>Does anyone have any idea what these faint and hazy circular artifacts
    >>that show on all the subsequent pictures are and what caused them?
    >>There's only one in the first shot (154), around 10-11 in 155 and around
    >>3-4 in 167. On other pictures they don't show at all.

    <--snip-->

    > It curiously looks like dust specks or similar on the CCD. I say
    > curiously because the CCD is never exposed on this camera. I've seen
    > similar on my D1x/D2H SLR's - but thats due to the CCD becoming
    > exposed when changing lens.
    >
    > If the specks always occur in the same place that is definitely the
    > cause (unless you have a dirty lens :)) )
    >
    > My advice is to return if this is the case if you can.

    Look very closely at all the screws used to assemble the case.
    Are there any that are the least bit "bungered up"?
    That would lead one to believe the camera had been opened up
    post-manufacturing. They are anal about a dust-free environment
    at the factory. Joe's Slap-Dash Repair Shop just ain't the same.

    Jonesy

    Allodoxaphobia, Aug 19, 2004
  5. Ioannis

    Big Bill Guest

    wrote:

    >It curiously looks like dust specks or similar on the CCD.

    If they were in the same place for all pics, you might be right.
    In this case, because they aren't consistant in location, and because
    of experience, I'd have to go with dust in the air, illuminated by the
    flash.

    Bill Funk
    Change "g" to "a"

    Big Bill, Aug 19, 2004
  6. Ioannis

    Mikishots Guest

    Clean the lens.

    Mikishots, Aug 19, 2004
  7. Ioannis

    Guru Buru Guest

    "Ioannis" <> schreef in bericht
    > Yesterday, I took some pictures of my gf in her summer resort's porch,
    > with my newly acquired Nikon Coolpix 2200.
    >
    > Does anyone have any idea what these faint and hazy circular artifacts
    > that show on all the subsequent pictures are and what caused them?
    > There's only one in the first shot (154), around 10-11 in 155 and around
    > 3-4 in 167. On other pictures they don't show at all.
    >
    > After taking 20 more pictures from similar angles, I also shot one
    > against the empty sky (172) to the right, which still shows some such
    > (although very faint) above the house lights.
    >
    > I also took a daytime picture albeit from a slightly different angle)
    > for comparison.
    >
    > http://www.virtualcomposer2000.com/digital/DSCN0154.jpg
    > http://www.virtualcomposer2000.com/digital/DSCN0155.jpg
    > http://www.virtualcomposer2000.com/digital/DSCN0167.jpg
    > http://www.virtualcomposer2000.com/digital/DSCN0175.jpg
    > http://www.virtualcomposer2000.com/digital/DSCN0172.jpg
    >
    > I've used the cam, for around 10 days, so its brand new.
    >
    > Thanks much in advance,
    > --
    > I. N. Galidakis
    > http://users.forthnet.gr/ath/jgal/
    > Eventually, _everything_ is understandable

    Definitely nothing wrong with your camera.
    These are dust orbs, small dust particles, close to the lens,
    floating in the air, illuminated by your flash.
    You'll notice this phenomenon in cameras where the flash
    is located close and just above the lens.

    GB

    Guru Buru, Aug 19, 2004
  8. On Fri, 20 Aug 2004 00:07:14 +0200, Guru Buru hath writ:

    > "Ioannis" <> schreef in bericht
    >> Yesterday, I took some pictures of my gf in her summer resort's porch,
    >> with my newly acquired Nikon Coolpix 2200.
    >>
    >> Does anyone have any idea what these faint and hazy circular artifacts
    >> that show on all the subsequent pictures are and what caused them?
    >> There's only one in the first shot (154), around 10-11 in 155 and around
    >> 3-4 in 167. On other pictures they don't show at all.
    >>
    >> After taking 20 more pictures from similar angles, I also shot one
    >> against the empty sky (172) to the right, which still shows some such
    >> (although very faint) above the house lights.
    >>
    >> I also took a daytime picture albeit from a slightly different angle)
    >> for comparison.
    >>
    >> http://www.virtualcomposer2000.com/digital/DSCN0154.jpg
    >> http://www.virtualcomposer2000.com/digital/DSCN0155.jpg
    >> http://www.virtualcomposer2000.com/digital/DSCN0167.jpg
    >> http://www.virtualcomposer2000.com/digital/DSCN0175.jpg
    >> http://www.virtualcomposer2000.com/digital/DSCN0172.jpg
    >>
    >> I've used the cam, for around 10 days, so its brand new.
    >>
    >> Thanks much in advance,
    >> --
    >> I. N. Galidakis
    >> http://users.forthnet.gr/ath/jgal/
    >> Eventually, _everything_ is understandable
    >>

    > Definitely nothing wrong with your camera.
    > These are dust orbs, small dust particles, close to the lens,
    > floating in the air, illuminated by your flash.
    > You'll notice this phenomenon in cameras where the flash
    > is located close and just above the lens.

    And, you'll _really_ notice them in underwater photography when
    using an integrated-in-the-camera-body flash. Of course, it
    ain't dust in this case, but rather, floating particulates in
    the water. On really bad days -- when there is lots of "stuff'
    drifting by in the water, it ain't even worth trying to take
    pictures. Save your batteries.

    In both cases -- on land and in the water -- an outboard flash
    (or two), with decent separation from the camera, eliminates the
    problem.

    Jonesy

    Allodoxaphobia, Aug 20, 2004