    The Website devoted to helping the novice computer user learn basic
    concepts of computing and how to solve computing problems quickly
    and easily.
    BleepingComputer.com, Feb 22, 2004

  2. BleepingComputer.com

    trout Guest

    BleepingComputer.com wrote:

    > I wrote this tutorial for a Security Message Forum a while back but I
    > thought that the members of this newsgroup may find it an interesting
    > read.
    >
    > This was my first tutorial so please dont bash it :)

    <snip>

    I certainly have no problem with the content of the article, or the
    advice in responses you've made so far in the newsgroup. I do feel,
    however, that beginning a thread for the sole purpose of moving traffic
    to your website is treading a fine line.
    Now, there's nothing wrong with drumming up a little traffic for the
    site. However, it is a common Usenet courtesy to do this only within a
    properly-delimited signature, limited to four lines, and in response to
    a request.
    There have been a great number of sites similar to your own that
    have posted to 24hoursupport.helpdesk to reach a large segment of the
    Usenet community. To be seen to be taking undue advantage of a great
    number of relatively-new users that view this group, and may not
    appreciate the specifics of your site's privacy policy, or the role of
    your advertisers and collection of information, would not serve either
    your purposes or the best interest of the newsgroup.
    I would urge you to restrain your advertisements to a signature. As
    just another poster in the newsgroup; I welcome your contribution. But
    in as high-traffic a newgroup as this, even the *appearance* of spam, is
    unwise; and to be seen as using the newsgroup unscrupulously could give
    your site a taint that is hard to shake.
    --
    "Just my objective, individual reaction."
    trout, Feb 22, 2004

  3. BleepingComputer.com

    Linda Guest

    Apart from agreeing with trout & understanding that it was your first
    tutorial, your discussion is way over the top for the target audience
    mentioned in your signature block of this post. I'll email you with
    suggestions & feedback if you're interested.

    Linda, Feb 22, 2004
  4. "Linda" <> wrote in message
    > Apart from agreeing with trout & understanding that it was your first
    > tutorial, your discussion is way over the top for the target audience
    > mentioned in your signature block of this post. I'll email you with
    > suggestions & feedback if you're interested.

    I agree its an advanced topic. Thats why it is is listed in the advanced
    tutorial discussion for its category. The only reason why i posted a link
    to that particular article was because I was reading through a post sent to
    this newsgroup yesterday that fit that tutorial really well. Therefore I
    thought it would be well received by the community here, though I guess some
    people felt differently. In the faq associated with this site, as I
    searched before I posted, I did not see anything wrong with my posting of an
    article that could help this community. If that is considered spamming then
    I am sorry. Side note, I shaved the sig down to the 4 line limit requested
    by netetiquette.

    I also noticed in this newsgroups website that they say to give the response
    before the original message. Whats the general feeling on that with this
    group as it goes against netetiquette guidelines.

    I would welcome any comments you may have so feel free to mail me what you
    have.

    Grinler
    BleepingComputer.com, Feb 22, 2004
  5. "trout" <> wrote in message
    > I certainly have no problem with the content of the article, or the
    > advice in responses you've made so far in the newsgroup. I do feel,
    > however, that beginning a thread for the sole purpose of moving traffic
    > to your website is treading a fine line.

    Read the post I left previously about why I posted this. If posting a link
    to an article on a website, that would not be suited to a newgroup posting,
    is considered wrong to do on this group, then I wont do it. Reading the
    groups guidelines I did not think there was anything wrong with that and
    thought the members here could get something from the article. If i get
    more traffic to my site, that would be great, but not my intention.

    > Now, there's nothing wrong with drumming up a little traffic for the
    > site. However, it is a common Usenet courtesy to do this only within a
    > properly-delimited signature, limited to four lines, and in response to
    > a request.

    Agreed I have shaved my sig down to 4 lines with proper delimiters.

    > There have been a great number of sites similar to your own that
    > have posted to 24hoursupport.helpdesk to reach a large segment of the
    > Usenet community. To be seen to be taking undue advantage of a great
    > number of relatively-new users that view this group, and may not
    > appreciate the specifics of your site's privacy policy, or the role of
    > your advertisers and collection of information, would not serve either
    > your purposes or the best interest of the newsgroup.

    I have no advertisements and am not making any money from this site
    therefore I am not taking advantage. My site started as a resource for
    friends and family who were always contacting me for support info and I felt
    the website would be an easier way of their getting support as well as
    making it easier for me.
    --
    BleepingComputer.com
    BleepingComputer.com, Feb 22, 2004
  6. BleepingComputer.com

    Mara Guest

    On Sun, 22 Feb 2004 16:12:39 GMT, BleepingComputer.com wrote:

    >"Linda" <> wrote in message
    >> Apart from agreeing with trout & understanding that it was your first
    >> tutorial, your discussion is way over the top for the target audience
    >> mentioned in your signature block of this post. I'll email you with
    >> suggestions & feedback if you're interested.
    >>

    >I agree its an advanced topic. Thats why it is is listed in the advanced
    >tutorial discussion for its category. The only reason why i posted a link
    >to that particular article was because I was reading through a post sent to
    >this newsgroup yesterday that fit that tutorial really well. Therefore I
    >thought it would be well received by the community here, though I guess some
    >people felt differently. In the faq associated with this site, as I
    >searched before I posted, I did not see anything wrong with my posting of an
    >article that could help this community. If that is considered spamming then
    >I am sorry. Side note, I shaved the sig down to the 4 line limit requested
    >by netetiquette.
    >
    >I also noticed in this newsgroups website that they say to give the response
    >before the original message. Whats the general feeling on that with this
    >group as it goes against netetiquette guidelines

    If you're going by what's posted on this site:

    http://24hrsupport.netfirms.com/aboutus.html

    then that's something you need to re-think. The page is very much out of date,
    and the Empress hasn't been spotted in the group for a very, very long time.
    Most of the regular netiquette stuff, such as posting in all-caps, etc., still
    applies, but that would apply to almost any newsgroup.

    AFA top-posting, it has always been accepted _in this group_, as a service to
    those who use text-to-speech readers. If you lurk in 24HSHD long enough, you
    will find that it is indeed unique in all of usenet - there is no charter, no
    moderator, and no FAQ, and the "normal" rules of usenet do not always apply
    here. (tinh)

    >I would welcome any comments you may have so feel free to mail me what you
    >have.

    Another netiquette tip - if it's posted to the group, it should be replied to in
    the group. This helps prevent incorrect advice being given to newbies who don't
    know any better and gives those who do know a chance to correct it. :)

    "HTH."

    --
    What we need are a couple of good hangings.
    -- FTC Chairman Orson Swindle, on email spam
    Mara, Feb 22, 2004
  7. BleepingComputer.com

    Dan Shea Guest

    <> wrote:

    >I also noticed in this newsgroups website that they say to give the response
    >before the original message. Whats the general feeling on that with this
    >group as it goes against netetiquette guidelines.

    Some of the posters in this group have sight problems or use text
    reader software. (Caveat: I do not know if this is still the case.)
    Top-posting makes it easier for them to get through the messages; they
    don't have to go through a 200-line quote just to get to the "Me too"
    reply at the end.

    Cheers,
    dan
    Dan Shea, Feb 22, 2004
  8. BleepingComputer.com

    Paul - xxx Guest

    BleepingComputer.com posted ...

    > I also noticed in this newsgroups website that they say to give the
    > response before the original message. Whats the general feeling on
    > that with this group as it goes against netetiquette guidelines.

    You have that a little wrong .. Top-posting is tolerated in this newsgroup,
    it isn't a recommended option, indeed there isn't a specific recommendation
    for any posting style, which makes the newsgroup probably unique on Usenet
    ... ;)

    Basically it's a hereditary thing which was done to originally allow some
    users better access to the newsgroup, as they had poor vision and relied
    upon text readers for their Usenet / Newsgroup experience.

    --
    Paul

    (8(|) Homer rocks .. ;)
    Paul - xxx, Feb 22, 2004