Article on The Register

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by Jay Calvert, Nov 4, 2004.

  1. Jay Calvert

    Jay Calvert Guest

    Jay Calvert, Nov 4, 2004

  2. "Jay Calvert" <> wrote in message
    news:Zqvid.94531$9b.72189@edtnps84...
    > Has anybody seen any examples of the phishing attempt noted in the

    following
    > article?
    >
    > http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/11/04/phishing_exploit/

    Not yet cos' you didn't post the text!? That would've been nice and saved me
    the bother ;-)
    Use.Netuser.de, Nov 4, 2004

  3. Jay Calvert

    donnie Guest

    On Thu, 04 Nov 2004 19:30:01 GMT, "Jay Calvert" <>
    wrote:

    >Has anybody seen any examples of the phishing attempt noted in the following
    >article?
    >

    >http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/11/04/phishing_exploit/

    ############################
    I've never seen any examples of that but I have been blocking all
    scripting in my browser and email client for years now. It works.
    donnie
    donnie, Nov 4, 2004
  4. Jay Calvert

    Pete Guest

    On Thu, 04 Nov 2004 20:58:37 GMT, donnie <> wrote:

    >On Thu, 04 Nov 2004 19:30:01 GMT, "Jay Calvert" <>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>Has anybody seen any examples of the phishing attempt noted in the following
    >>article?
    >>

    >>http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/11/04/phishing_exploit/

    >############################
    >I've never seen any examples of that but I have been blocking all
    >scripting in my browser and email client for years now. It works.
    >donnie

    Would simply viewing all emails in plain text defeat this particular scam ?

    Regards,

    Pete.
    Pete, Nov 4, 2004
  5. Jay Calvert

    Leythos Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > On Thu, 04 Nov 2004 20:58:37 GMT, donnie <> wrote:
    >
    > >On Thu, 04 Nov 2004 19:30:01 GMT, "Jay Calvert" <>
    > >wrote:
    > >
    > >>Has anybody seen any examples of the phishing attempt noted in the following
    > >>article?
    > >>

    > >>http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/11/04/phishing_exploit/

    > >############################
    > >I've never seen any examples of that but I have been blocking all
    > >scripting in my browser and email client for years now. It works.
    > >donnie

    > Would simply viewing all emails in plain text defeat this particular scam ?
    >
    > Regards,

    You need to use a email reader that does NOT process scripting of any
    kind. Some readers, even when reading in text mode, are still prone to
    flaws. It would be best of you NEVER permitted HTML in your reader. We
    make it a point to force Outlook to use Rich Text modem in group policy
    objects, and for non domain users we "tell" them to use Rich Text when
    using Outlook.

    (Remove 999 to reply to me)
    Leythos, Nov 4, 2004
  6. Jay Calvert

    Pete Guest

    On 2004-11-04, Leythos <> wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > says...
    >> On Thu, 04 Nov 2004 20:58:37 GMT, donnie <> wrote:

    >> Would simply viewing all emails in plain text defeat this particular scam ?

    > You need to use a email reader that does NOT process scripting of any
    > kind. Some readers, even when reading in text mode, are still prone to
    > flaws. It would be best of you NEVER permitted HTML in your reader. We
    > make it a point to force Outlook to use Rich Text modem in group policy
    > objects, and for non domain users we "tell" them to use Rich Text when
    > using Outlook.

    I use Pine (4.61) about 80% of the time. I'm quite sure that it doesn't want to
    know about HTML at all. But I will check.

    When I'm on XP, it's Agent for mail/news. So far, so good. I hope.

    Regards,

    Pete.
    Pete, Nov 5, 2004
  7. >Has anybody seen any examples of the phishing attempt noted in the following
    >article?

    I'd like to see a working example. In my experience, even if scripting is
    enabled for e-mail or browser, writing to a file like the "hosts" file is not.
    ?subject=Techtalk (Do not alter!)
    http://lists.gpick.com
    \Crash\ Dummy, Nov 5, 2004